Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
"Red Hulk"
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a weather striping under the hood only on the drivers side in front of the intake scoop.

So my question is wouldn't this hinder performance? Because I can't figure out how it gets enough air with the rubber piece there.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,798 Posts
Umm, the cylinders moving up and down in sync with the valves opening and closing creates a vacuum that draws in air and fuel. That vacuum continues along the manifold and intake plumbing to draw air through the intake.

The intake itself, in winter, intakes can get Ice build up that restricts airflow, they can also ingest a lot of water during rain. My 2011 WK2, the weather strip runs the whole length of the perimeter of the engine compartment and over the top of the intake scoop, thus the opening is on the cold air side. There is a foam strip that seems to incline inward, appears to me to be more of a deflector that deflects moisture from being drawn into the intake and freezing or filling the air filter box with water (yes, it has a drain, but you still don't want lots of water rushing into it). Perhaps they changed that, and the seal being in front of the opening of the intake creates an indirect path for cool air to flow under the hood to the scoop. That would allow air to flow to it, but eliminate a lot of water and ice.

I had another car that had a plastic shield over the throttle cables, didn't make any sense, till I found in the FSM it was added from environmental testing, they found the throttle was positioned in just the right spot water/snow/ice would make it in under the crack in the hood and bumper, ice could build up on the throttle linkage and restrict its movement.

The engine draws in its own air, there is no need for Ram air to force it into the engine, there is actually no benefit from that in most engines. But drawing in cool air does have a big benefit, as long as you don't draw in a lot of water or ice/snow that builds up and blocks the intake. I suspect what you see is an arrangement that does that.

·
Registered
WK2
442 Posts
The design of the OEM intake will let water sit in the bottom of the air box, and will evaporate. I haven't seen any issue with ice/water buildup blocking the air intake, and we get enough of both around here.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
2,294 Posts
I yanked my snorkel out. No performance difference but a slight increase in noise. Beats paying $400+ for an intake which is usually way too loud.

I believe the short piece of rubber is there to stop water/snow from directly going into the snorkel but there is plenty of room for air to indirectly enter it.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,798 Posts
The air box has small drain holes in it to drain water out. You don't want to get your paper air filter wet, it degrades. The Manufacturers do a lot of testing and development in all sorts of environments. So a few things here and there that don't seem to make sense, have a good reason, cause they found in a certain environment something bad could happen and simple piece of weather strip to redirect the flow air, removed 3/4 of the moisture being carried with the air and prevented the bad things they found in testing.

If you yank the snorkel, keep for the next person that owns you're vehicle. I hate purchasing an used car, then finding the previous owner tossed away small things that are near impossible to get, because they didn't think they were important. Yea, I know, just my pet peeve, the frustration of having to deal with as the 2nd owner.

My daughters Compass sounds like a diesel truck passing or climbing hills, the previous owner tossed the snorkel with the baffles in it to acoustically dampen that induction noise. I had to scrounge a dozen junkyards before I found a replacement. (That is different than the WK2, that the snorkel is much simpler and doesn't deaden as much induction noise, my daughter is not a Gear Head that enjoys the induction noise).

My WK2's spare tire compartment was barren except a punctured/flat spare tire and rusty jack. Apparently the previous owner had a flat and didn't think all those nice extras in the spare tire compartment were worth anything and just tossed them all out, including the sound deadening mat under the spare. Still can't find the cargo bins at a reasonable price. I just stuff all my emergency gear in the compartment around the tire.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
2,294 Posts
If you yank the snorkel, keep for the next person that owns you're vehicle. I hate purchasing an used car, then finding the previous owner tossed away small things that are near impossible to get, because they didn't think they were important. Yea, I know, just my pet peeve, the frustration of having to deal with as the 2nd owner.
You should buy new then. The snorkel will be the least of the next owners worries when I'm done with the Jeep. It will either be totaled by an accident or totaled due to a MaxCare denial.

·
Registered
"Red Hulk"
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took some pics from under the hood of my wifes 2018 Durango and she doesn't have the strip.....not making much sense as they're identical under the hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
2,294 Posts
Jeep is more off-road oriented and I imagine that's put there to fend off a sizable bow wake as well.

The wheelbase of a Durango doesn't lend itself to much more than a level field.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,798 Posts
I took some pics from under the hood of my wifes 2018 Durango and she doesn't have the strip.....not making much sense as they're identical under the hood.
My 2011 JGC is identical weather stripping/air intake setup.

Perhaps changes in the fascia and grille in later models resulted in changes in airflow in that area and thus the sealing changed. The Durango grille fascia might not of needed the change.

·
Registered
2019 WK2 Trailhawk 5.7
17 Posts
I found my foam piece inside the air filter box when I decided to change the filter myself. It's just 30k miles and the official dealership never managed to change engine air filter yet. It was not hard for me to find out where it came off from. But curiosity of existence of such a stupidply implemented airflow solution got me here. So looks like it prevents high volume water intake when passing through a deep puddle or river (when water pushed forward and up on/over the hood). Like a one more thing (additionally to drain holes inside the box) to reduce the chances of engine water damage when you stupid enough to drive into water that deep.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts