Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm going to take my fenders off, all they do is get dust and snow down the sides of my JGC.

Then I'm going to go for a safe and slow ride in the snow because I drive with due regard for the conditions and other motorists.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm a first time Jeep owner, and my only experience in snowy, slushy weather was with my OEM Pirelli Scorpions a few weeks ago. Plenty of traction when accelerating up a hill from a stop, however I didn't feel confident cornering or stopping. I do believe tires make a difference, especially 20" performance all-seasons, so I purchased a set of 18" Cooper Discover True North studless winter tires. Haven's seen snow yet, but I'm anxious to try them. Pretty sure it'll never snow again now that I made the investment! ;) At least I'll extend the life of my Pirelli's, which I really like on dry pavement.

·
Registered
129 Posts
2015 GC diesel... I am going to put another set of KO2's on mine after running mich's for a few years. Last time I had KO2's I had to get to one of my transmitter sites and the GC pulled better up the hill through the snow than my power wagon. The flat bottom with the offroad plates made it just slide along amazingly even pulling a 10% grade and snow piling up over the hood. It was like being in a snow plow with chains! It was great right up until I high centered it on a 3 foot drift thinking, if it could do the hill what trouble would the drift at the top be? I'll never get that 4 hours of digging back LOL...
High centering is my biggest concern lol when driving in that deep snow, we just drive right up it like ramp with that flat bottom. I honestly think if you leave that air dam on it makes it less likely since you are 'plowing' in front of you.

I'm starting to think a pair of baby maxtrax would be very helpful in those situations. I have used cardboard to get out of (rare) high center snow situations with limited digging before.

·
Registered
2019 JGC Overland 4x4
9 Posts
What is snow? Happy New Year from Miami and 80 degrees. Might go out to the shop and find the miss in my 1967 Camaro with an LS1. Mt son sent me pictures from Omaha with my grandson running the snow blower. Boy do I like South Florida this time of year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What is snow? Happy New Year from Miami and 80 degrees. Might go out to the shop and find the miss in my 1967 Camaro with an LS1. Mt son sent me pictures from Omaha with my grandson running the snow blower. Boy do I like South Florida this time of year.
Lucky! My Mustang will sit in the garage until March or April here in CT! Happy New Year!

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
58 Posts
Will have my 65 GranSport out this afternoon for some drop top cruising here in SoCal.

Keith

·
Registered
842 Posts
Love it here in NC where we have four real seasons. Here in the foothills the Z06 is up on the lift in hibernation for only Jan/Feb instead of Nov-April when we lived up on top of a mountain next to the ski slopes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My TrailHawk gets through deep snow....no problem.
Its when there's an inch of icy freezing roads where i had the problem mentioned above.
To be fair, i don't think there's any other vehicle out there that could perform better in icy road conditions.

Braking in that mentioned scenario was a slipp'n and a slid'n with the ABS working full time.
The snow covered hatch with the blanked out tail lights made the white knuckling even whiter!

Maybe it the tires?
Your mention of ABS on icy roads... ABS is great on wet pavement, it is good on snowy roads, but it is terrible on ice (every ABS car or truck I have driven). This is because it works too fast. On ice, there isn't enough friction to get the wheel spinning again before the ABS lets the brakes go on again. What I have found (and tested) to work is use the ABS as an indicator. If it is clicking fast, let up a bit on the brakes. If it isn't clicking at all, press harder. Slow clicks will get you the best results on ice.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I hate to break it to you, but the rear wing is fine. Dust gets all over car in the summer no matter what and without it, you'd end up with bad hwy wind noise. Plus, it looks nice and without it, the JGC wouldn't look like the best looking SUV on the road that it is.
Do you drive primarily in the City?
Do you drive dusty gravel roads?
Do you drive country roads with tractor mud on the roads eventually drying out turning into dust when driving over which is sucked up onto the rear hatch?
Do you drive a lot in snowy conditions?

I will tend to agree with the looks nice.
But if i jettison that dam thing, it will look similar to my wingless XJ which isn't a bad look either.
And i will have a unique WK2.

But i disagree with the snow/dust buildup and road noise.
I have owned maybe 20+ vehicles since i got my driver's license with 4 or 5 being SUV's.
None of those past SUV's had roof wings and none of them had no where near the hatch buildup like with my WK2.
And none of them had any substantial road noise.
Don't know this for a fact but that rear roof wing is most likely there to help gas mileage.

I can wash 'n wax my XJ, keep it garaged like my WK2 and the wash will last for months with only a California duster occasionally.

Not so with my WK2 driving in the same conditions.
I'll wash 'n wax my WK2, take it for a spin and when i get back home, the hatch is literally covered with dust with a thick build up on the rear wiper.
So much hatch dust, a California duster is out of the question most of the time.

I will give my WK2 a good wash 'n wax in the Spring and Fall and thats it.
Useless to keep it clean....would be a daily full time job.
When the dust build up gets heavy enough i just hose it off between and drive it crappy looking or not.

·
Registered
2018 WK2 Limited
13 Posts
I've had my '18 limited for about a month now. In the past two weeks I've driven ~3k miles across country from Washington, DC to Driggs, Idaho then to Denver, CO. I've gotten more winter driving experience in the last two weeks than I ever wanted.

With the help of the forum I selected and installed Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws before my trip, which in addition to being all-terrain tires are also three-peak mountain snow rated. I'm extremely grateful for the forum's help on tire selection. The Falkens performed wonderfully and handled packed and fresh snow without issue. Unfortunately I encountered a lot of ice on I-25 in Casper, WY and there was little I could do but slow down and get off the road before nightfall. Similarly, I drove the Teton Pass between Jackson, WY and Driggs, ID 4x last week and on my final descent down a 10% grade going 15 mph in 4LO I hit ice and slid about 35 feet before regaining traction. It was an absolutely terrifying experience. I-80 from Driggs to Denver wasn't much better, 60mph crosswinds and blowing snow from Walcott to Laramie reduced visibility to less than a car-length. Thankfully the roads weren't frozen and the Falkens handled the blowing snow well. Overall I'm grateful the Jeep handled as well as it did. Reducing speed, engaging snow-mode and 4LO at the right time, and having proper tires all helped. But definitely an experience I'm not looking to recreate anytime soon. Here's a picture from I-80 outside Laramie, WY after the white knuckle portion was finished.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Yikes. I don't even like the Teton Pass on a sunny summer day ...

Reactions: DC2DenverWK2

·
Registered
2014 Limited, 3.6L
42 Posts
Similar to some of the replies here, in my second month of ownership it snowed one day while I was at work. At the time, my commute home entailed driving up a long hill. The road hadn't been plowed yet, and as I started ascending, there were many cars pulled over or stuck spinning their wheels trying to get up the hill. This included plenty of SUVs and front wheel drive cars.

As someone who had previously owned RWD performance vehicles, I knew well the importance of winter tires, which I hadn't installed on the Jeep. So I was a little apprehensive.

I put the Jeep into Snow mode and gave it some gas.... and I steadily and pretty easily drove up the hill and by all the stuck cars. It was an awesome feeling!

I too was greatly impressed with the performance considering I was on the 20" Forteras (which were otherwise pretty lousy tires). I now have Michelin Defenders, which are supposed to be considerably better than the Goodyears on snow, but haven't really had a worthy test of them yet. While I agree that winter tires will still be beneficial for stopping and handling on snow/ice, the "get up and go" is mighty good with all seasons in snow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So the consensus is a combination of: Tires , weight distribution, ride height, smart 4wd, and wheel placement is the key here? I swear there’s some wizardry going on in the wk2’s .... just seems so smooth and effortless, maybe it’s struggling more than it feels 😆

·
Registered
170 Posts
removing the "wing" would just massively increase lift at the back end, we discussed this before

21 - 34 of 34 Posts