Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my registration last night so it was time to put my plates on. I pulled off the dealer's black license plate frame. On the tail gate are 4 black rubber blocks maybe 1 cm thick that stand the plate off of the tailgate. Is that something the dealer added or do the vehicles come like this? All my other vehicles I have owned have threaded taps in the tailgate that you screw into with supplied machine screws, usually phillips head.

So Into the top two rubber blocks is where the dealer screwed flat blade galvanized sheet metal screws. My intent was just to mount the plate back on without their black frame, but I was worried the screw may go through the black rubber blocks and into the metal of the tailgate without the added thickness of the license plate frame. So I'm shopping now for a nicer license plate frame, but wondering if this is the standard way of mounting the rear plate.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,842 Posts
My dealer used the galvanized screws, with no frame. I could be wrong, but I thought the top two blocks were set in holes in the tailgate.

·
Registered
2012 GC 4x4
305 Posts
Mine only had two plastic pieces, a 12. Mine had the cheesy dealer plate, so I took it off and got my college alumni plate. Thankfully, they had a nice looking won out of the few they had. I prefer plates with frames, idkw, I just do.

But back to you, if you think the screw will go through to the metal, I would definitely get a frame.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You can always fit washers to prevent the screw tip from hitting metal. In the past I've used two, one under and one above the plate. Can't hurt.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My dealer gave me rubber stops that are adhesive to the liftgate and fit into the recesses under the plate. Makes it so the plate won't rub on the paint or rattle at all. The rubber looks just like the ones on the car you screw the plate into but no holes obviously.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Mine didn't come with extra blocks for the two bottom blanks. I got a WeatherTech ClearCover license plate frame, then attached some thick sticky foam tape to the back of the frame to prevent it from rubbing against the paint.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
353 Posts
mine has 4 rubber blocks but only 2 galvanized screws. But my screws have a plastic washer and a license plate frame and also a silicone plate sleeve that all mount together. With all of it my screws do not go into the paint.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts