Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland is nearing 100K miles and my extended service warranty will end. Extension for another 60K will cost around $7500 and 36K will not cost significantly less. In any case, I am not willing to spend that kind of money for it and trying to decide whether to keep the Jeep and hope for the best or to trade it in for a 2020 model and start with the financing all over again. I wanted to know, what other owners of WK2 experienced after 100K miles. Is there a high risk of a potential significant repair?

·
Registered
2012 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L
24 Posts
I have a long way to get there i just purchased a 2012 with 50k miles. I can say from my experience and what i am seeing in the wk2 they should last over 100k no problem. With anything it comes down to maintenance. Not just replacing the oil on time. If i was in your position i would bank the $7500 for a repair fund until you turn it into a down payment on a new one.

·
Super Moderator
8,318 Posts
Same likelihood that any other vehicle would, in general. There are a LOT of "WK2" JGCs on the road way beyond 100K miles. I was at 108K in my MY12 and was still on the original front brakes. (would have been the same for the rears, but a caliper bolt broke at 88K miles and that resulted in the need to replace the rear brakes since they have to be done in pairs) A few things got fixed along the way, not unexpectedly, but it was still operating "like new" and I had zero worry about that changing.

edit: I missed the reference to $7500 for the extended service contract. No. Way.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 2014 GC Ltd V-6 with 76,000 miles. Overall, it has been incredibly reliable (except for lifter replacement at 70K [covered under warranty].
Like yourself, my warranty expires in 2 years or 100K. Thanks to fanatical maintenance (changing oil and other items AHEAD of schedule, I have been fortunate enough to have reasonably trouble free driving. I considered trading it in, but why? Who needs a big car payment? At 100K, I’ll take a hard look at the GC, and still hold onto it. (Why let a second owner enjoy the benefits of a well maintained car?). The previous advice of an earlier post to bank your $7,500.00 is excellent advice. Good luck!

·
Registered
742 Posts
No way I would pay $7500 for an extended period - I thought $2700 was expensive for the Lifetime version (Until I found out the replacement costs for major components!) :)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I'm about an every 6 years new vehicle kind of person, so I always buy warranty that matches that. It has worked well and always covered its costs+ peace of mind... My 6/100 Maxcare runs out the end of April 2020 and I hope to have a new vehicle on order by then. I think the Jeep can go further, but advances in safety and technology are coming every year and a 6 yr old vehicle is somewhat archaic after that long. Outside of warranty, the things that usually go wrong can easily rack up 3+K and then you really have to ask yourself if you want to put that kind of money in an old vehicle that you will never get back..But you have to because you NEED it. Its a painful circle.... I prefer to take that money on to another newer vehicle. Cars are a no win financial situation any ways, it just depends on how you want to spend it...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a 2012 GC with 148,000 miles and virtually no problems that were not part of a recall. My confidence in it is such that we use it as our cross-country road trip vehicle. I plan on keeping it for 200,000 miles.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2 Posts
This has been a concern of mine for a while as well. I have 94.4k miles on my 2015 JGC Altitude and is still going strong. That 3.6L Pentastar engine has been pretty impressive. I did have to replace the transmission at 72k miles. We noticed metal shavings in the transmission oil pan while troubleshooting an issue with it slipping. I didn't replace the brakes until 87k miles. Now this week I have to have the radiator replaced due to some oxidation build-up which has caused leaking. I'm also having the diffs. and transfer case flushed and the oil replaced. I had a 21 point inspection done by the dealer and was told everything else is perfect. I always change out my oil and replace the oil filter every 5k miles. My point is that there should NOT be any reason at all for our JGC's getting 100k miles and much more - without a problem. As previously mentioned, as long as we maintain our Jeeps and use quality products, our Jeeps should get to 200k miles without a problem.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,258 Posts
The radiator definitely seems to have some quality issues. I just had mine replaced around the 50k mark on my 2015 3.6 (HD cooling pack if that matters). The 5.7s seems to have a service interval on water pumps and occasionally eat lifters and a cam. Air suspension can be troublesome. Otherwise they aren't worse than any other car. I would keep the $7500 in a high yield savings account as a slush fund for any future repairs before dumping it into a warranty you may not use.

·
Registered
303 Posts
My 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland V8 has 118,000 miles on it and has had over $8,000 of warranty work charged against the $2,500 lifetime warranty I bought. I've reserved a ford Mustang Mach E GT to replace it.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,965 Posts
Any vehicle over 100K miles will likely need to be repaired in the future. The anecdotal evidence (and some empirical) is that the WK2 is less reliable than average. So that just raises the chances of needing repaired after 100K miles.

If you just take your vehicle to the Dealer, then yes, you're going to spending a lot. If you find a good independent repair shop, you'll be paying less. If you can do some simple repairs yourself, like water pumps or alternators, you save a ton of money and trading in to avoid repair costs would be foolish.

Likely items that need replaced, if not already (descending order of likelyhood based on my experience/guess)....
  • Water Pump
  • Tires
  • New TPMS sensors will be needed with next tire change
  • New Engine Mounts
  • Radiator
  • New Brake Pads and possibly rotors
  • Battery
  • Alternator
  • The V6 the oil intercooler leaking and needing replaced
  • The V8 the exhaust manifold bolts breaking or loosening causing small exhaust leaks
  • Shocks (of course its independent suspension so you could safely drive around on worn/degraded shocks like many of the morons on the road)
  • Upper Control Arms
  • New Brake Master Cylinder or 1 or more Calipers
  • Front Subframe bolts, removed, cleaned, lubed and re-installed
  • Entertainment Center/Antenna partial failure (expensive replace or live with the missing functions)
  • HVAC distribution/airblend doors stuck (dealer automatic dash removal and replacement of entire assembly for $1300, DIY, unjam door and replace broken gear & actuator $40)
Clearly not all of those, and a few are arguably regular cost of operation, like a battery, brake pads, tires and new TPMS sensors...

Water Pumps and Radiators are failing often enough that you can just about count on having to replace them, if you haven't already..... ...alternators seem to fall into that category as well, but not as likely as the former...(these are simple enough most mechanically inclined folks can do it themselves and save a ton of money).....

Some you don't have to repair and just live with it, shocks, squeaking subframe bolts, engine mounts (if they don't get too bad) a function on the entertainment system burning out....

Compare DIY and Dealer prices....
Myself,
  • Water Pump $75 for a new quality aftermarket part and a Saturday afternoon
  • Radiator $110 for a new quality aftermarket HD upgrade part and an entire Saturday
  • Alternator $350 for a remanufactured quality aftermarket part and 2 hours after work

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The opening post is concerned with how likely is a breakdown after 100K? The foregone conclusion is that is both likely and potentially costly. Many posts claim this is a 200K vehicle, no problem.... But in the end you still have the same old vehicle...Plus there is one heck of a risk difference between 0-100K than 100k-200K. ANY vehicle with reasonable maintenance should make 100K..But those same vehicles could ( COULD, but not a given...) cost you a mountain from 100-200K. You certainly can get lucky, and get there inexpensively.. but the worst thing that can happen is you have to give it a major repair just to be able to unload it...

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,258 Posts
cost you a mountain from 100-200K.
From the sampling of cars I've had the 140-160k range seems to be the worst. I also tend to buy the in that range so the prior upkeep has been questionable. If you keep up with the small things and utilize the forums for small jobs you can spread out the issues and save yourself some dollars.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland is nearing 100K miles and my extended service warranty will end. Extension for another 60K will cost around $7500 and 36K will not cost significantly less. In any case, I am not willing to spend that kind of money for it and trying to decide whether to keep the Jeep and hope for the best or to trade it in for a 2020 model and start with the financing all over again. I wanted to know, what other owners of WK2 experienced after 100K miles. Is there a high risk of a potential significant repair?
I'm at 110K on my 2014 GC Diesel. The water pump went at 100K and was covered. Other than that I've decided to hang on to it for the duration. It's a beast.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2001 4x4 LTD with a 4.7. Replaced engine at 183,000, replaced tranny at 90,000, replaced front axel at 105,090 due to not changing gear oil often, replaced gas tank at 122,000, replaced complete suspension system at 215,000, replaced complete AC system at 209,000, replaced water pump three times since new, replaced power stealing pump at 201,000, replaced radiator four times since new, reupholstered seats at 209,000, replaced two power rear window assemblies, replaced alternator at 195,000 and just replaced cat converter Y-Pipes at 217,000. Yes, I love my Jeep!👍🏽

if your in love, you do what it takes to keep it. It’s a lot cheaper than a new car payment, insurance and plates. Don’t waste money on warranties. They always find ways to get around outlying you. Just use all synthetics,do regular maintenance and still, no guarantee something wont happen. Kinda like Life huh?

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Any vehicle over 100K miles will likely need to be repaired in the future. The anecdotal evidence (and some empirical) is that the WK2 is less reliable than average. So that just raises the chances of needing repaired after 100K miles.

If you just take your vehicle to the Dealer, then yes, you're going to spending a lot. If you find a good independent repair shop, you'll be paying less. If you can do some simple repairs yourself, like water pumps or alternators, you save a ton of money and trading in to avoid repair costs would be foolish.

Likely items that need replaced, if not already (descending order of likelyhood based on my experience/guess)....
  • Water Pump
  • Tires
  • New TPMS sensors will be needed with next tire change
  • New Engine Mounts
  • Radiator
  • New Brake Pads and possibly rotors
  • Battery
  • Alternator
  • The V6 the oil intercooler leaking and needing replaced
  • The V8 the exhaust manifold bolts breaking or loosening causing small exhaust leaks
  • Shocks (of course its independent suspension so you could safely drive around on worn/degraded shocks like many of the morons on the road)
  • Upper Control Arms
  • New Brake Master Cylinder or 1 or more Calipers
  • Front Subframe bolts, removed, cleaned, lubed and re-installed
  • Entertainment Center/Antenna partial failure (expensive replace or live with the missing functions)
  • HVAC distribution/airblend doors stuck (dealer automatic dash removal and replacement of entire assembly for $1300, DIY, unjam door and replace broken gear & actuator $40)
Clearly not all of those, and a few are arguably regular cost of operation, like a battery, brake pads, tires and new TPMS sensors...

Water Pumps and Radiators are failing often enough that you can just about count on having to replace them, if you haven't already..... ...alternators seem to fall into that category as well, but not as likely as the former...(these are simple enough most mechanically inclined folks can do it themselves and save a ton of money).....

Some you don't have to repair and just live with it, shocks, squeaking subframe bolts, engine mounts (if they don't get too bad) a function on the entertainment system burning out....

Compare DIY and Dealer prices....
Myself,
  • Water Pump $75 for a new quality aftermarket part and a Saturday afternoon
  • Radiator $110 for a new quality aftermarket HD upgrade part and an entire Saturday
  • Alternator $350 for a remanufactured quality aftermarket part and 2 hours after work
2014 GC Summit (delivered April ‘13) with 95k miles. Just had my HVAC distribution/airbend and left shocks (twice in 2 months) replaced. I think my radiator was replaced around 50k and maybe my water pump shortly thereafter. I still have my original battery which I’ve had inspected numerous times fearing a fail soon. I’ve replaced the tires way too often imo. Overall, very pleased with the reliability.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts