Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland is nearing 100K miles and my extended service warranty will end. Extension for another 60K will cost around $7500 and 36K will not cost significantly less. In any case, I am not willing to spend that kind of money for it and trying to decide whether to keep the Jeep and hope for the best or to trade it in for a 2020 model and start with the financing all over again. I wanted to know, what other owners of WK2 experienced after 100K miles. Is there a high risk of a potential significant repair?
that would be to much take the money put down payment for a new one better off

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7L
3 Posts
My '14 Summit with the 5.7L had the compressor go out around 32k miles. Jeeps front was lowered all the way down and and the back was stuck at off-road 2. Quite the sight lol. At 58k miles my water pump started leaking so took it in my local dealership. They also found my exhaust manifold was leaking so they fixed that. Both times this cost me $100 deductible as I was still covered under the 60k miles / 7 yr factory warranty, which I was glad for. I'm now at 60k miles but have decided not to extend the warranty at what the dealership is asking. About 3500 for 36k miles / 3 yrs with $100 deductible. I have been back and forth quite a bit because this Jeep seem to have every electric option on it and electrics to me get expensive real quick. I would like to keep it until I near 100k miles but I guess I'll see if i have any issue the next couple years. Love this Jeep and give me anxiety thing about getting ride of it lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland is nearing 100K miles and my extended service warranty will end. Extension for another 60K will cost around $7500 and 36K will not cost significantly less. In any case, I am not willing to spend that kind of money for it and trying to decide whether to keep the Jeep and hope for the best or to trade it in for a 2020 model and start with the financing all over again. I wanted to know, what other owners of WK2 experienced after 100K miles. Is there a high risk of a potential significant repair?
My 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland has 132k miles, had it since mile 1. I had the extended warranty to ~100k and incurred $15k+ work over the years. Since warranty expiration I've spent ~$2k on parts and repairs. To give an idea of what's been replaced over the years: driveshaft ($1,200), motor mounts, steering linkage, air suspension compressor & at least one air line, AC evaporator, water pump, radiator, brake booster, alternator, upper control arm, throttle body, plus other standard maintenance items. MY 2011 was a major model change which came with too many new features for Jeep to handle. I hope you're MY'14 has been more reliable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
that would be to much take the money put down payment for a new one better off
my 2019 overland i put 3 quarts of oil in at 3,400 miles thats right no mistake and a half of gallon of antifreeze jeep said nothing wrong and my FCW is still not working and went to a court and was denied,said it was a lease just bring it back its under warranty,plus a valve tic its bullshit and the sad part is that i love my Jeep its my 3rd one. Jeep is doing very well now but if things were going the other way they would kiss my ass to make it right.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2011 GC Limited with V6 engine has 174000 miles. This car has never left me stranded. It runs great and I expect to get well over 200K. Helps that when I bought the car they had a LIFETIME bumper to bumper extended warranty from Chrysler. I have used this for a lot of small things - nothing that would keep the car from running. I pull horse trailers, boat trailers. and a couple utility trailers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2011 GC Limited with V6 engine has 174000 miles. This car has never left me stranded. It runs great and I expect to get well over 200K. Helps that when I bought the car they had a LIFETIME bumper to bumper extended warranty from Chrysler. I have used this for a lot of small things - nothing that would keep the car from running. I pull horse trailers, boat trailers. and a couple utility trailers.
I just happened to see this post as I was cruising by. I have a 2005 JGC WK Hemi with over 170,000 miles. I did have to replace one valve spring and I had to overhaul the transmission, QD2 all wheel drive 5 speed automatic, recently, but have had no other problems or issues with the vehicle other than routine maintenance. The way it is running, I would trust and expect it to go another 150,000 relatively trouble -free miles.

Would I spend $2,700 on an extended warranty? My short answer is no. Bank the money in the event of a major unforeseen repair. Vehicles and drivetrains are being built to much tighter tolerances than they used to be 20+ years ago. My WK calls for 5w-20 oil. I have always used a high quality full-synthetic oil and high quality oil filters.

I hope this helps to relieve some of your fears about the WK platforms. I could not be happier with mine.

By the way, the valve spring cost a whopping $200, and the transmission job cost $1,600. Not too shabby for a fifteen year old vehicle.

·
Registered
77 Posts
175,000 on my MY14 and have had no major failures ... the hydraulic lifting system failed around 37,000 miles but dealer only charged me $500 for a $2500 repair since it was so close to warranty. I added the lifetime maxcare for $2500 at that time it has been used a few times but probably not $2500 in repairs yet. Did not even need new front brakes until 150,000 miles. Probably will take this vehicle to 225,000 before I buy a MY 22.

My wife has MY12 with 120,000 miles and it has also been very reliable with no major repairs.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,965 Posts
...the hydraulic lifting system failed around 37,000 miles but dealer only charged me $500 for a $2500 repair since it was so close to warranty....
What's this Hydraulic Lifting System? You're not talking about the Quadra-Lift System? Cause that is a pneumatic system, using nitrogen pumped into airbags.....

·
Registered
77 Posts
What's this Hydraulic Lifting System? You're not talking about the Quadra-Lift System? Cause that is a pneumatic system, using nitrogen pumped into airbags.....
I could not think of the name. It is the Quadra-Lift system. It started making a grinding sound. Dealer did not believe at first it was defective but eventually realized it was and would fail.

·
Registered
778 Posts
orig owner of a 2011 Overland with 3.6L and just hit 140k. Up until 3mos ago, it was problem-free (8yrs). Recently I had to replace a rear air spring and compressor and is the really the 1st major repair. Regarding maintenance...oil changes every 5-7k, a few sets of tires, and brakes at 125k
There continues to be a slip or bump issue relating to transfer case/ tranny but it's been doing that occasionally for a few years and dealer still can't determine exact issue and I really don't want to experiment with parts on my dime. I am just now considering trading it in as I have a feeling there might be a lot more to come being that it required very little for first 8yrs of ownership.

·
Registered
2011 WK2 Laredo and 2015 WK2 Laredo
24 Posts
$7500 for a warranty? No! And never go back to whoever is trying to sell you that!

I have a 2011 3.6 WK2 Laredo with 130K, bought new. I've replaced a leaking oil cooler and a ticky cam follower, but these are DIY jobs, so I'm out roughly $500 in parts including the cooler, cam followers, spark plugs, PCV valve, and gaskets. The right rear door lock failed, again DIY for roughly $100 for the replacement lock. I replaced the radiator when I discovered FCA didn't put in the correct radiator for having the towing package- $250 DIY.

A local FCA dealer offered $8K for the car on trade, which says they want as much for the warranty as they will pay you for the car. Wow!

Assuming you don't turn your own wrenches, if you have an independent mechanic you trust, just keep the car.

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
15 Posts
The radiator definitely seems to have some quality issues. I just had mine replaced around the 50k mark on my 2015 3.6 (HD cooling pack if that matters). The 5.7s seems to have a service interval on water pumps and occasionally eat lifters and a cam. Air suspension can be troublesome. Otherwise they aren't worse than any other car. I would keep the $7500 in a high yield savings account as a slush fund for any future repairs before dumping it into a warranty you may not use.
Mine also changed around that mileage. I was in for oil change, I was told that radiator is leaking and they replaced it covered under warranty.

·
Registered
2012 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7
461 Posts
Be careful with FCAs From what i have recently learned a lot of what they say is covered is considered a ware item i see your around 100,000 im guessing thats why the cost is over 7K
I have 225,000 and recently had an issue that is not covered under the Life Time Unlimited Mile, Look at my recent post Mopar maximum care lifetime unlimited mile warranty denied claim
That's a lot to pay but you should shop around and Pick the warrant apart to ensure your getting what your paying for

·
Registered
2015 Grand Cherokee Summit
72 Posts
Guys I see you post and I hope I can get that out of my new 2015. I bought it used a few months ago first check engine light was low engine temperature I replaced the thermostats a week later I got a few more error codes P0174 and P1621. I have not fixed that yet, now the transmission is having a problem on the highway its feels like its having a problem finding the right gear. I'm hoping when all this is resolved I can get a good 2 or 3 years out if it without a problem. the good thing is it had the lifetime max care that was transferred to me I have not used it yet, but it does show up under my name. As you can image it was not easy to transfer it Jeep even gave us an extra 30 days because they were even having a problem doing it.

·
Super Moderator
8,318 Posts
he good thing is it should have a lifetime max care I have not used it yet, lets see if it was transferred.
Unless you live in Florida, the Mopar Maximum Care Lifetime Service Contract is not transferable.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts