Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, desperate for answer..
went and got 2 new tyres and rotation on 2013 SRT8 Alpine today by a professional tyre company and I left with major issues..
How should they raise the car to do this?
And is there only the one way it should be lifted?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
What were the major issues?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What were the major issues?
Mostly from the rear of the Jeep it is vibrating badly to the point of un drivable even at 60km it’s now showing a leak from the rear CV which wasn’t their before and I feel it’s how they lifted the car to rotate the wheels and put the 2 new tyres on. Pumped up the tyres on the back to match the front (brand new) and that only mildly made a difference. They lifted the car at 2 points from the front and one point directly from the rear and from the tyre to the wheel arch it was raised so high.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cheroker Overland ATG ORAII
1,359 Posts
Do you have air suspension?

·
Registered
137 Posts
What do you mean, how? You put it on a rack and lift it, or, if you want to be slower about it, you use a jack and stands.

Did they balance the tires when they rotated them? That's an issue that could cause vibration.

It sounds like your CV was on its way out, and the suspension travel exacerbated it. Had you flexed the suspension, it would have done the same.

In other words, if a rack was used, your CV boot likely failed doing something it was designed to do, which meant it was already bad, and you'd not yet noticed it.

Regards,
Josh

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee 3.6 Limited.
90 Posts
Mostly from the rear of the Jeep it is vibrating badly to the point of un drivable even at 60km it’s now showing a leak from the rear CV which wasn’t their before and I feel it’s how they lifted the car to rotate the wheels and put the 2 new tyres on. Pumped up the tyres on the back to match the front (brand new) and that only mildly made a difference. They lifted the car at 2 points from the front and one point directly from the rear and from the tyre to the wheel arch it was raised so high.
What do you mean when you say "one point at the rear"? could they have put a jack under the rear axle of driveshaft and liftted it from there?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
........the rear of the Jeep it is vibrating badly to the point of un drivable even at 60km it’s now showing a leak from the rear CV which wasn’t their before.....
I agree with Josh, the CV joint could of been on the verge of going out.
Body lifting a vehicle causes the wheels to droop down to max where a ready to fail CV joint could finally fail from the stress of the lift possibly causing the vibrations. Not saying thats what happened but its a possibility.

Are the new rear tires the exact model type as the fronts? 4x4's need all the tires exactly matched.
To isolate a tire issue like balance, etc. rotate the rear tires to the front and the front tires to the rear to see if the vibration follows the tires.
Or better yet i'd take it back to that tire shop and let them figure it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts