Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
grand cherokee
317 Posts
so guys i took it off, cleaned it didnt work

so took it off again and gave it a light very light sanding just enough to get rid of the wear on the track and pulled the contact tab out more to get full contact.

its been 3 weeks so far and no issues and i have been abusing the shifter

one draw back i cant shift down manually so dont do it to the whole thing just the 3 long black tracks!!!

i was told that instead of sanding it i should of used and eraser until the wear was gone so try that guys

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, my first post here. Great work, this is exactly the topic I needed as my 06 just started acting up with the [P][R][N][D] issue. So it looks like I'm going to have to take it apart and try cleaning the contacts before putting $$$ into it. Anyway any suggestions on what to use for cleaning them? dmlong mentioned an eraser?

Anyway if that doesn't work I just want to make sure this is the right part I'm going to have to look into ordering? Mine's an 06 WK 3.7L Laredo 4x4.

http://www.justforjeeps.com/grchblshbe.html

Thanks

·
Registered
grand cherokee
317 Posts
Hey guys, my first post here. Great work, this is exactly the topic I needed as my 06 just started acting up with the [P][R][N][D] issue. So it looks like I'm going to have to take it apart and try cleaning the contacts before putting $$$ into it. Anyway any suggestions on what to use for cleaning them? dmlong mentioned an eraser?

Anyway if that doesn't work I just want to make sure this is the right part I'm going to have to look into ordering? Mine's an 06 WK 3.7L Laredo 4x4.

http://www.justforjeeps.com/grchblshbe.html

Thanks
mine has been working great ever since i did a little sanding on the the graphite strips

·
Registered
97 Posts
ouch. just drove 120+ miles stuck in third, cause i didnt address this.

·
Administrator
9,281 Posts
My name is Alban, I'm from Sweden and have ran in to some trouble with my jeep Grand cherokee.

The plastic cover on the PRND Bezel broke and the dealer here wants over 700$ just for the part.
Being that you just posted once, a long time ago, you are probably not still around... if you are, get in touch, you can replace the plastic gate sliders for well under $50.

·
Administrator
9,281 Posts
mine has been working great ever since i did a little sanding on the the graphite strips
I would recommend just using some 000 or 0000 steel wool rather than sanding, then clean with rubbing alcohol or some electrical contact cleaner.

·
Registered
97 Posts
just finished the job and I can now shift into all gears. I used a pencil eraser (continuously cleaned on a pad of paper), isopropyl alcohol, and disposable blue shop paper towels (non linting).

notes:
- be prepared to have a sorts of small metric torx bits. 7, 10 & 15 I believe.
- the 4 wheel low switch is a pain in the balls, I had to remove the center console.
- I only slightly tweaked the flexible metal contacts.

symptoms:
- stuck in 3rd, no lower gears.
- wife previously reported; trans overtemp/PRND all selected/stuck in 3rd.
- code P0700 reported from vehicle diag, did not hook up my laptop to get trans codes (too pissed off)

Now it's time for a trans fluid svc. I had to beat that horse just to get it up to speed after stopping for a couple toll booths.

Dealer better have the upper gear selector equipment at a good price or I'm gonna show some serious disgust with their product.

EDIT: FSCK, I'm now declaring this an intermittent, time for a new bezel top assembly.

EDIT2: CRAP ! my problem is with the 25 pin connector at the front of the trans. Wiggled it and it went back into D.

EDIT3: Strangely, my esm is missing the third spring/contact. The one that says 'pull up gently'. For the life of me I thought I had dropped it, but I searched all over. No way. Could that 3rd spring be for the W5A trans ? I have the 5F5 in an 06 hemi limited. It's all reassembled and working fine, now that I wiggled the connector on the trans.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Milious I would love to know your solution to Albans problem. My rubber shifter trim is bunched up and broken as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same problem as Alban. How did you fix this for $50? PLEASE HELP

Originally Posted by Alban
My name is Alban, I'm from Sweden and have ran in to some trouble with my jeep Grand cherokee.

The plastic cover on the PRND Bezel broke and the dealer here wants over 700$ just for the part.

Being that you just posted once, a long time ago, you are probably not still around... if you are, get in touch, you can replace the plastic gate sliders for well under $50.

·
Registered
97 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not meaning to Hijack the thread but what is the difference / location between the Transmission control module and the ECM that is part of the shifter bezel? My shift bezel /ecm, was replaced under the bumper to bumper warranty about 18 mos ago and now I am getting sort of similar symptoms with a U0404 code. Of coarse it is no longer under the bumper to bumper and I don't think that my extended plan covers. Is there normally warranty on a replacement part like that?
I really hope that this is not an annual occurrence ! I love the Jeep otherwise.

·
Registered
WK 2007
183 Posts
I'm also getting the U0404 code intermittently. My WK is still under the powertrain warranty...but it won't cover this repair. After visiting a couple of dealers and making a lot of phone calls it seems that bezel Part No 68004143AC (see TSB 21-016-06 REV A) is no longer available. It has been replaced 68004143AF (AD and AE versions are supposedly also superseded). Now instead of costing under $350, I got quotes anywhere from 750 to 1008 dollars CAD depending on the dealer. Those are ridiculous prices! My dealer will install the new bezel at the low end of the scale so I'm going to suck it up and have it done this week. It’s unsafe right now. Just hope the new part is an improved design (gold contacts instead of graphite???hahaha) The dealers seem confused - they act like they’ve never seen this problem before. And they're all hazy about whether the new part includes the base with stick shift, but from searching on Ebay it looks like it’s just the bezel piece. Will find out this week.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts