Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a post on here on how to do this, but it wasn't really clear to me and I couldn't get their method to work.

So I found another video that details the method and I thought I'd share a quick rundown of what worked for me.

1. Sit in car with everything off and buckle seatbelt.
2. Press ignition button until you get to RUN position.
3. Wait for display console seatbelt icon to go off.
4. Unbuckle and buckle 3 times, ending with it buckled again.
5. Press ignition button until you get to OFF.

Do not start the car at any time. You should hear a chime at the end to acknowledge that it worked.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I didn't know you could do that, I did it via AlfaObd, now only if I could get rid of the door chime

·
Registered
2018 Limited
243 Posts
I think this might be model year dependent. I have not been able to get the setting to hold using either the method above, or AlfaOBD. Setting won't hold and remains "enabled." I have a 2018 Limited by the way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think this might be model year dependent. I have not been able to get the setting to hold using either the method above, or AlfaOBD. Setting won't hold and remains "enabled." I have a 2018 Limited by the way.
From memory, when poking around in the various modules, there's an option in the Body and the instrument cluster module, the instrument cluster module was the one that made it hold for me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Worked on my 2020 Overland. Permanent too, not just the single ignition cycle I expected. There is a complicated history of legislation behind this noted in Wiki. 2020 Chevs will not start for 20 seconds in teen driver mode unless fastened. Torturing teenagers sounds like a good idea. I understand they are installing straight pipes and street racing in NYC. I won't go to family gatherings till they lose their I-phones.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, ProCharged 5.7L Hemi
250 Posts
I was able to get it work using AlfaOBD on my 2020 Trailhawk.

... I think it will work,, try it again. grin

you are bypassing the Security Gateway Module (SGM) right (2018 and newer)?

·
Registered
2018 Limited
243 Posts
Yep...I have the module in...made other mods (LEDs, rear turn signal mod, changed TPMS tire pressure threshold, etc.). Maybe I'm misunderstanding the "chime." I did get it to say "disabled." I just noticed that while it chimes 4 or so times when I start the car it doesn't do it any more after that...is that correct? For some reason I thought that when you disabled you would get no chime at all, whether starting the car without seatbelt or "driving above X mph" Basically, I only operate the vehicle without seatbelt when moving around my driveway for washing or maintenance...the chime was annoying but it still does it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yep...I have the module in... I did get it to say "disabled." I just noticed that while it chimes 4 or so times when I start the car it doesn't do it any more after that.
I think that you got it. The initial few chimes would be the self test/initialization. Mine does the same thing, but doesn't chime anymore after that. (y)

·
Registered
250 Posts
The option is there in JScan.
Adaptation> Vehicle User Settings> Seatbelt Alert On/Off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts