Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2005 WK
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm brand new to Jeeps. Just bought a 2005 WK1 non SRT. I want it as low as I can get, with in reason. Can I fit SRT springs in there. Seems everything I'm finding says 2005 are different. Can I buy lowered SRT springs and shocks and be OK, or does it not all fit? I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks
-Andrew

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,656 Posts
Yes any srt springs will.work. there's alsp.soem non srt wk1 springs from h&k and eibach.

·
Registered
2005 WK
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scott, can I get lowered SRT springs and still run the stock shocks? I'm still confused on that. I found your suspension thread and I'm still at a loss.
Thanks
-Andrew

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,656 Posts
Scott, can I get lowered SRT springs and still run the stock shocks? I'm still confused on that. I found your suspension thread and I'm still at a loss.
Thanks
-Andrew
Yes...but not sure how long the stockers will last.

·
Registered
2006 WK Overland
1,637 Posts
Maybe I can add to what Scott has said. Yes, you can still run the stock shocks with SRT lowering springs. I have standard Bilstein 4600 shocks/struts on mine with Eibach lowering springs and SRT sway bars. I also have the SRT bumpers on mine and the only thing I have to be careful of is going up/down driveways, because the front SRT bumper is so much lower to the ground than the stock front bumper. Handles like it's on rails though.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
How many miles do you have on your 05 ? If your suspension, including stock shocks are original, they are likely past their prime and need replacing, and you will probably need a bunch of other new stuff if it has over 80k, i.e. upper and lower balljoints, control arms bushings, sway bar bushings, endlinks, trackbar, etc... Putting lowering springs on should go together with a suspension overhaul, or it will ride / handle poorly. There are only a few shock choices out there that will work with lowering springs though, most popular are WK Bilstein HD's or SRT stock Bilstein. The WK ones are too harsh and bouncy for me, and I took those off... our roads are pretty bad here in the rust belt. FWIW, the best handling improvement I've seen is upgrading all the control arms to quality aftermarket units, night and day difference.

·
Registered
2006 WK Overland
1,637 Posts
jeepgcoman one last question, are those 4600s on all 4 corners?
Yes!

Dmsfun has some good points that you may want to consider, depending on what your intended goals are. For sure, the mileage figures he gives are in the ball park. If the suspension has never been touched or is sloppy or worn in any way, it'll need lots of work to make it viable for your purposes. I've done the "A" Arm bushing and ball joints....needed adjustable uppers to bring it into proper alignment. I did not replace the arms though, and all is fine. I also kept the stock sway bar end links, so far (maybe 30K) without issue.

The Bilsteins are indeed a stiffer ride but, if you want it to handle "really well" in corners, you'll need them.....or something similar. If you're not into stiff rides, you'll need to use a different shock/strut combination. Also, if you plan to go with 20 in. wheels and low profile tires, you'll get an even stiffer ride. Mine still passes the wife test, but our roads are generally pretty good so the harshness isn't usually that noticeable. I believe dmsfun has found some (Monroes IRRC) that work quite well for his purpose. Definitely take into consideration your road conditions and whether your in the snow belt.

The other problem I have, in the winter, is that if there is more than about 4 in. of snow on the ground I make like the snow plow for our neighborhood. This past year was particularly bad and I "bumped" a snow/ice bank with the left front part of the bumper and chipped a bunch of paint off. As a result, I just removed it and had it repainted.....$400.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mine was lowered from new by the dealership using authorised aftermarket parts for the european market but the shocks are standard so can't see it causing any major problems but all very valid points made above. I've since lifted mine anyway as don't get the lowered 4x4 look unless its an SRT style but each to their own & do what suits the look you want best :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Maybe I can add to what Scott has said. Yes, you can still run the stock shocks with SRT lowering springs. I have standard Bilstein 4600 shocks/struts on mine with Eibach lowering springs and SRT sway bars. I also have the SRT bumpers on mine and the only thing I have to be careful of is going up/down driveways, because the front SRT bumper is so much lower to the ground than the stock front bumper. Handles like it's on rails though.
I know this is an old thread, the pics of your green 06 WK, are you running eibach 2839.540 on Bilstein 4600s, you mentioned running Eibachs on Bilsteins. Your signature says Bilsteins and SRT lowering springs, trying to figure out your setup. I love the stance of your 06 WK.

·
Registered
2006 WK Overland
1,637 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Wow, it's been a long time since I've done the suspension on my Jeep, but, I did use Eibach SRT lowering springs (don't remember the numbers but I think I still have the boxes with the stock springs) all around,and Eibach SRT front and rear sway bars with Bilstein 4600 shocks and struts. I also used the stock sway bar links, stock control arms with adjustable upper ball joints so the alignment could be properly setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was thinking of going with the srt8 bilsteins, there is an actual non bilstein version for the rear that is srt proper but half the price and the non srt-8 eibachs or even H&R which I have ran on 2 of my other cars including a fox body ford. I read the SRT eibachs are brutal as far as ride quality? What is your honest opinion? And what is your wheel and tire size besides the obvious that there 20’s they look great!

·
Registered
2006 WK Overland
1,637 Posts
I've only used the Bilstein 4600's on my Jeep, so I can't speak to the SRT or Eibach setups. I also have two Hemi LX's, an 05 Magnum with just Eibach SRT sways and Bilesteins and an 06 300C SRT8 with the stock SRT suspension. If I were using the vehicles only for high speed road courses, the stock LX SRT setup is fantastic....a real hoot to drive. The Magnum is more of our road/cruise vehicle so I didn't want the harsh spring rates and stiffer shocks, but it still handles pretty well. The setup on the Jeep would also be outstanding for a road course, as it handles like it's on rails....almost better than the stock suspension LX SRT, but it too gives quite a harsh ride. I think it all boils down to what you prefer, and what your driving environment (road conditions mostly) is like.

The tires on mine are siped Toyo Proxes STII's, 265ZR45/20's in the front and 295ZR40/20's in the rear. I also have the siped Toyo's on the SRT and siped Open Country's on the Magnum. IMO, tires do make a difference too in the overall scheme of things.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you so much for all that info, esp since I was working from such an old thread. I have a lot to chew on. I have an 2008 limited GC hemi, 100k its real mushy and I have driven only fast sporty low slung vehicles so its an adjustment. I will prob be doing upper and lower control arms, sways etc to tighten it up. I am like that its not a car but It feels like boat right now

·
Registered
2006 WK Overland
1,637 Posts
Yes, the stock WK suspension leaves a lot to be desired. On yours, if you want to improve the handling a bunch, do the SRT lowering springs, SRT sways and performance shocks/struts, and if you just want a little better handling, do like I did on Maggie....just the SRT sways and shocks/struts. IMO, you probably don't need to lower yours unless you really like the look (like I do) and/or want really superior corner handling. Otherwise, all of the stock SRT stuff should be quite adequate. I should also add that lower profile tires (on 20 in. wheels) makes a significant handling difference over the stock wheels and a higher profile tire. Just my 2 cents worth.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts