Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2017 GC Overland with the Quadra Lift Suspension System. I have about 8,417 miles on it.

I have not used my GC in about a month. I turned it on today and received the "Service Air Suspension Immediately" message.

This happened to my around this same time last year. It's winter time here in New York. I took my GC to the dealer last year when this same issue happened to get it serviced.

Nothing was wrong with the Quadra Lift system. I think all they did was reset the system and clear the codes.

Is there a way to reset the system myself somehow? I already tried unplugging the red positive cable for a few seconds. That did not reset anything.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a 2017 GC Overland with the Quadra Lift Suspension System. I have about 8,417 miles on it.

I have not used my GC in about a month. I turned it on today and received the "Service Air Suspension Immediately" message.

This happened to my around this same time last year. It's winter time here in New York. I took my GC to the dealer last year when this same issue happened to get it serviced.

Nothing was wrong with the Quadra Lift system. I think all they did was reset the system and clear the codes.

Is there a way to reset the system myself somehow? I already tried unplugging the red positive cable for a few seconds. That did not reset anything.

Any ideas?
Resolved by doing the following.
  1. Disconnect the positive battery cable for 5 minutes.
  2. Pull out the following fuses:
    1. F05 Air Suspension Comp*
    2. F50 Air Suspension Mod*
    3. F87 Air Susp/TT
  3. Insert all the fuses you just pulled out.
  4. Reconnect the positive battery cable.
  5. Turn on the Jeep.
  6. Let it warm up for 8 minutes.
  7. Test the Quadra Lift system by changing the ride height.
Seems like the lift system gets stuck in the winter when you don't use it for a month in the winter.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,259 Posts
    3. F87 Air Susp/TT
  5. Turn on the Jeep.
Seems like the lift system gets stuck in the winter when you don't use it for a month in the winter.
It's usually better to remove the negative battery cable first so you don't get a spark or surge from the battery that could cause damage to the electronics. If for some reason, you do need to remove the positive cable, remove the negative first for safety's sake.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,799 Posts
Ok, you do realize that resetting modules will dump the volatile memory and clear stored codes for some, but not all modules. Some modules store codes in non-volatile memory and thus the code will still be stored no matter how long you disconnect power from it, once you power it back on the code will still be there.....

As well, resetting a module doesn't fix a problem. If it detected a problem, and set a code, likely something is wrong, clearing the code out of the module doesn't fix what was wrong.... ....so depending on how long it takes for the module to detect the problem again, the code will just be set again.... ...in most cases its in seconds.... ... a few cases can take as long as a couple of weeks...

I'm not saying don't try it... ...just don't expect it to work, nor the the proper way to fix a problem is to erase the code telling you there is a problem.... ...think about it, does shooting the messenger, change the news he was bringing?

·
Registered
598 Posts
If you're suggesting that using the controls to manually "exercise" the Quadra-Lift system, consider this....whenever you get up to "speed" the system automatically goes into "aero" (lowered) mode, and returns to normal height when you stop. My point is that the system is "self exercising".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same happened to my 2015 GC..brought to dealer they stated it was a blown fuse due to weather I also stated I’ve had the Jeep for the past 5 years and have never had that issue..apparently I was wrong because the dealer stated everything is better I asked why it would blow a fuse and I was told weather does that...next day start the Jeep and message state service air suspension immediately..lol.. so now the Jeep is back at the dealer stating bad air compressor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2014 has displayed this message three or four times and did not work. I pushed the electrical plugs on the compressor in harder and it fixed the problem each time. Would like to find a way for the plugs to stay tight.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Same happened to my 2015 GC..brought to dealer they stated it was a blown fuse due to weather I also stated I’ve had the Jeep for the past 5 years and have never had that issue..apparently I was wrong because the dealer stated everything is better I asked why it would blow a fuse and I was told weather does that...next day start the Jeep and message state service air suspension immediately..lol.. so now the Jeep is back at the dealer stating bad air compressor.

Hi Repo,
I'm sorry to hear about your recent concerns with your Jeep. If you have any questions during your dealer visit, please know that our team is happy to assist you during your service.

Kathryn
JeepCares

·
Registered
103 Posts
2013 Trailhawk - 25k miles:
this afternoon, 16 degrees outside, my Jeep started right up, BUT made a very loud, god awful thumping sound that lasted a good 30 seconds. was much louder than the engine revving. then my passenger entered and it made the same noise again for even longer. mind you there were no warning lights or error codes. eventually, i realized this was the air compressor trying to raise the Jeep to normal ride height since it was in down mode from the day before to allow my 77 year old mom to exit more easily. i hit the Up button but it kept flashing on the Down mode button and the dash was showing the up icon, yet the Jeep was not raising. so, i shut off the engine, waited a bit, restarted, then the Jeep seemed moved up to normal ride height.

this Jeep has not ever seen these cold of temperatures in it's lifetime, but it is still very concerning. does cold weather typically impact air suspension compressor performance? or is this more likely a pre-symptom of air suspension compressor failure? i have a 4 hour road trip to return home, is there reason for concern it will fail before I arrive to my destination? if so, i could have it looked at before i depart.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I heard stories that if there is moisture in the system and it is cold it can freeze inside and cause problems with the pump and the pump can seize.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'd recommend turning off entry/exit mode which should keep the suspension close to NRH while parked during very cold temperatures.

Reactions: Lawrence j

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'd recommend turning off entry/exit mode which should keep the suspension close to NRH while parked during very cold temperatures.
2013 does not have this mode so it won't happen again - as i will just keep it in NRH rather than putting it in down mode. though it likely will drop into Aerodynamic Mode driving the turnpike home.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I heard stories that if there is moisture in the system and it is cold it can freeze inside and cause problems with the pump and the pump can seize.
thanks. it did rain for the 12 hours before it froze outside, so there is that possibility. don't know how rain would get into the system, but it's alarming to hear such loud banging from your engine on start up. i also read the nitrogen loses pressure for every 10 degree drop in temperatures but that doesn't explain the rather violent banging noise we heard, only 2x, but very loud and sounded awful. first time 30 seconds, 2nd time nearly a minute.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Turn it on, let the engine warm up, and then check. Check the fuse. Ignore the warning unless it comes up after every on/off, more than twice.

The ql seems to have a mind of its own. It hates the cold but certainly doesn't need a dealer to fiddle with it everytime the light comes on. Mine talks to me every winter. I have a bag of fuses that in keep in the jeep ready for the next time. Chillax. Merry Xmas

·
Registered
103 Posts
MY 2013 JGC Trailhawk does not have entry/exit mode - I manually lowered it so to allow a senior citizen to exit the vehicle more easily. Jeep stayed in DOWN mode through freezing rains and then 16 degree morning temps with feels like of 9 degrees when the banging started at start up.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,259 Posts
MY 2013 JGC Trailhawk does not have entry/exit mode - I manually lowered it so to allow a senior citizen to exit the vehicle more easily. Jeep stayed in DOWN mode through freezing rains and then 16 degree morning temps with feels like of 9 degrees when the banging started at start up.
My 2014 doesn't have the automatic mode either, but, due to my bad back, I put it into Entry/Exit whenever I park. It has never exhibited the problems you describe, even after sitting out in sub-zero weather overnight at a motel in Montana.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,835 Posts
My 2014 doesn't have the automatic mode either, but, due to my bad back, I put it into Entry/Exit whenever I park. It has never exhibited the problems you describe, even after sitting out in sub-zero weather overnight at a motel in Montana.
My 2014 has the automatic mode, you have to select it in the Uconnect Menus. Was there an early/late date for some 2014's getting this feature?

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,259 Posts
My 2014 has the automatic mode, you have to select it in the Uconnect Menus. Was there an early/late date for some 2014's getting this feature?
The 2014's were not equipped with the automatic mode until the August, 2013, build.

·
Registered
2 Posts
    3. F87 Air Susp/TT
  5. Turn on the Jeep.
I dont see any Fuses labeled as such? F05 F50 F87

·
Registered
2 Posts
    3. F87 Air Susp/TT
  5. Turn on the Jeep.
the motor keeps running in my suspension system. I don't need the truck to move up and down. Can I just remove the fuses?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts