Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally I swap the snows on before Christmas but this year I pushed it another month. Threw the winter set on yesterday, it's always bittersweet. Lose the great dry grip and looks, but gain almost invincible winter capability.Hakka's are spectacular dedicated snow tires.

Summer livery is 20x9 SRT reps powder coated black with 295/45-20 Toyo Proxes
Winter is OE Overland HA 20x8 black with 265/50-20 Nokian Hakkapeliitta snows, using Bora 3/4" spacers

·
Registered
521 Posts
I understand your frustrations. I initially bought my 2015 GC to be primarily used during the winter, with only limited use in the summer. As I've gotten older, the "exercise" of dragging wheels and tires up and down the basement stairs has gotten less appealing. Therefore, when I first bought my GC, within a few days of getting it, I went to the local Nokian dealer, and bought a set of the WRG3s, and sold off the OE tires.

Turned out to be a dumb move on my part, because as time went by, I wound up driving the GC more in the summer months than I had originally planned, including a couple of road trips. While those Nokians are good in the snow, they aren't ideal for summer driving, at 70 MPH on the interstate. I wound up in possession of a second set of OE wheels, thanks to my Jeep dealership's parts department, that were "take-offs" from another GC. I then carefully shopped around and found an exceptional deal on a set of Michelin Premiers.

Now I'm back to the seasonal tire changes, but really good performance, no matter what the season. And on the other hand, had I realized how this was going to play out, I should have kept the OE tires, and simply scrounged up another set of them, and fitted them with 4 Hakkas...….

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The added benefit of running dedicated serious snows is that we only use the snows 4 months a year. That means the summer tires only see 8 months of use so last longer time-wise.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I swap dedicated summer and winter wheels on all four of my cars every season. It’s not THAT difficult. And it’s well worth the effort.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Normally I swap the snows on before Christmas but this year I pushed it another month. Threw the winter set on yesterday, it's always bittersweet. Lose the great dry grip and looks, but gain almost invincible winter capability.Hakka's are spectacular dedicated snow tires.

Summer livery is 20x9 SRT reps powder coated black with 295/45-20 Toyo Proxes
Winter is OE Overland HA 20x8 black with 265/50-20 Nokian Hakkapeliitta snows, using Bora 3/4" spacers

View attachment 221427
View attachment 221428
That Porsche! I take it that it's yours?

·
Registered
15 Posts
This winter does not show for everyone the advantages or disadvantages of the wheels. The weather is not quite winter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This winter does not show for everyone the advantages or disadvantages of the wheels. The weather is not quite winter.
Right. The downside is that people say "we don' need no stinkin' winter tires" and then we get Snowmageddon...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Right. The downside is that people say "we don' need no stinkin' winter tires" and then we get Snowmageddon...
BINGO!!!

And you see these folks in the median strip of the Interstate highway....on straight sections of road!

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,356 Posts
Considering the flop of the winter we've had so far I'm about to take the Blizzaks off. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
8,499 Posts
Considering the flop of the winter we've had so far I'm about to take the Blizzaks off. :rolleyes:
Please wait...taking them off will all but insure that there will be a sudden dump of white stuff. :) :D

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Same here, I considered taking the stock wheels with my Nokian snows off this past weekend but knew if I did we'd be guaranteed to get a major snow storm.

And I've been considering trading the Grand Cherokee for a 2 yr old Audi Q7. The supercharged V6 only makes 333hp & 327 lb-ft torque but the APR software bumps that to 450hp & 400 lb-ft. My local Audi dealer is a licensed APR dealer and the software comes with a powertrain warranty. So I'd rather trade the Jeep with the stock wheels and snows and keep the SRT wheels with the 295/45-20 Toyos. I can use those tires on the Q7. And when I get the hell out of the people's republic of Illinois and the always increasing taxes (my modest home is $12,000/yr property tax alone), I won't need snows in southern MD.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Same here, I considered taking the stock wheels with my Nokian snows off this past weekend but knew if I did we'd be guaranteed to get a major snow storm.

And I've been considering trading the Grand Cherokee for a 2 yr old Audi Q7. The supercharged V6 only makes 333hp & 327 lb-ft torque but the APR software bumps that to 450hp & 400 lb-ft. My local Audi dealer is a licensed APR dealer and the software comes with a powertrain warranty. So I'd rather trade the Jeep with the stock wheels and snows and keep the SRT wheels with the 295/45-20 Toyos. I can use those tires on the Q7. And when I get the hell out of the people's republic of Illinois and the always increasing taxes (my modest home is $12,000/yr property tax alone), I won't need snows in southern MD.
Careful with the APR "warranty". If you read the fine print carefully, you'll find enough loopholes to drive a Mack truck through. You'll also need to find an APR dealer in MD and you might not be so enthralled with APR tune - especially after your car gets flagged TD1.

One of my sites is in Southern MD and I've seen plenty of snow there.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Careful with the APR "warranty". If you read the fine print carefully, you'll find enough loopholes to drive a Mack truck through. You'll also need to find an APR dealer in MD and you might not be so enthralled with APR tune - especially after your car gets flagged TD1.

One of my sites is in Southern MD and I've seen plenty of snow there.
Appreciate the thoughts. I've run APR software on several Audis in the past, once out of warranty, and have been extremely happy. And I moved to the Chicago area from SoMD and am quite familiar with the weather, yes they get snow but nowhere near the degree we get in the upper midwest. I'd never run tunes on a Jeep, there really isn't any appreciable gain to be had. But a supercharged engine or turbocharged engine will reap huge benefits. I have a dealer there I've know for 25+ years, never challenged the APR software in any of my Audis, or my Porsches. Already talked to the service manager and he was still OK. But I haven't pulled the trigger yet, I may wait till I get to MD to buy one now that Illinois removed the tax credit for traded vehicles... along with so many other new taxes and fees. My personal state income tax will go up at least 33% if the new governor gets his way with more tax increases.

What do you do in SoMD? I'm moving to southern St Mary's County, on the Potomac.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts