Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys

I'm getting my first car this spring and I don't know what to do! I need a grand cherokee 4x4 because I am going to school out in Denver. Im choosing between a summit or an overland. Here are my list of preferences:

V6 engine (gas mileage)
air suspension
harmon kardon stereo
leather seats

I like the looks of the summit more because it is less "offroad" and more mall crawler and luxury...

(I WOULD GET AN SRT IF THEY WERENT SO DAMN $$ and had tan seats)

Let me know if you can tell me the key differences and what I should do! my budget is 35k too! THANKSSSS

·
Super Moderator
8,325 Posts
So right away, your budget is putting you in the several years used market since the Overland and Summit trim levels top $50K new. For the V6, you'll be better served by MY14 and newer because of the 8 speed transmission. The HK 19 speaker option wasn't available on the Overland until MY15. You may want to consider previous model years if you can find something you like to both stay within your budget or even make the cost lower, leaving you more money for school and other things, but we don't know your circumstances, nor do we need to know them. ;)

·
Registered
2011 GC Overland
3,729 Posts
Drive both vehicles so you will know which one suits you the best. Keep that one and give me the other. Win win

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Since your talking used you'll never find an Overland with HK, so you'll have to go with a Summit. You might find a 2014 or 2015 or even later, all depends on the miles.

Try going through cars.com

·
Registered
High Altitude 4x4
4,181 Posts
If you buy a 2014, 2015 or 2016 Overland in Brilliant Black I'll swap you all of the parts off my Brilliant Black High Altitude. I'm in Nebraska.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
The purchase that makes the most sense is buying a new Laredo for 35k.
I don't know about that. My 2012 was a Laredo and I got rid of it after 13 months. It wasn't a bad car, but I found myself wanting very quickly, and mine wasn't "base". I traded it for a fairly loaded '14 Limited. When I traded that one in for my current one, I seriously considered an Overland this time around. I liked the looks of the Limited 75th though.

Toss the need for the HK speaker system and you could probably find a decent Overland in that price range. New will definitely set you back 50 grand or more, the build I was looking at ran about $54K MSRP.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I don't know about that. My 2012 was a Laredo and I got rid of it after 13 months. It wasn't a bad car, but I found myself wanting very quickly, and mine wasn't "base". I traded it for a fairly loaded '14 Limited. When I traded that one in for my current one, I seriously considered an Overland this time around. I liked the looks of the Limited 75th though.

Toss the need for the HK speaker system and you could probably find a decent Overland in that price range. New will definitely set you back 50 grand or more, the build I was looking at ran about $54K MSRP.
I've been very happy with my Laredo based Altitude for three years and have no desire for the features on the other models.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
19andjeep,

Congratulations! You will be very happy with your JGC. It is commendable that you know your budget - stick to that. Like someone else said, only you know your circumstances. :)

Here are my thoughts should you find them helpful. Once you own your vehicle, you most likely will want to purchase other things for your vehicle like all weather mats and possibly snow tires given your location. Although it is tempting to go over your budget when buying a car, you will be happy that you did not. I would say that an extended warranty is important with the Overland or Summit due to the air suspension and other costly repair items that may be needed over the several years you will own the vehicle. How many years are you planning on owning the vehicle? The extended warranty would be the one thing that you may want to consider going over budget for, if needed.

You will have other car purchases that will give you the opportunity to get additional items you may desire now, such as the fancy HK stereo or perhaps you could save for a year and upgrade the stereo if you still want to.

Just some things to keep in mind - congratulations! Looking forward to seeing pictures of your new baby when you finally find "the one"! :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
You'll hear a lot of folks refer to the Grand Cherokee as the Colorado Cadillac out there, so it's an excellent choice. With the mountains and altitude I'd only get the V8; hell I live in Ohio and would only get the V8.

It's a great city / state. Enjoy your time there.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Yeah but then he is stuck in a laredo with none of the things he wants. Not a good plan because it will be about a month before he is looking for another car.
Maybe he should be more realistic and look for what he needs more than what he wants? That way he'll end up with a brand new car and a full warranty. I'm guessing from his forum handle he's 19 so he has plenty of time for upgrades in the future. Modifications also help soothe the itch.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
I've been very happy with my Laredo based Altitude for three years and have no desire for the features on the other models.
It's all based on user preference. If you go by the Jeep site, the Altitude gets no V8, ORA-I or II, no Lux package other than the perforated seats, not even the 8.4AN. If he's looking at an Overland to begin with, the Altitude is going to be sorely lacking. Even a Limited can come better equipped. I bought a 75th Limited because I didn't want all the Chrome of an Overland, but lost out on the HK sound by doing that and *maybe* more cushy seats. As an example, I wouldn't be willing to give up HID lights, so that right there tosses anything lower than a Limited with Lux-II out the window.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
It's all based on user preference. If you go by the Jeep site, the Altitude gets no V8, ORA-I or II, no Lux package other than the perforated seats, not even the 8.4AN. If he's looking at an Overland to begin with, the Altitude is going to be sorely lacking. Even a Limited can come better equipped. I bought a 75th Limited because I didn't want all the Chrome of an Overland, but lost out on the HK sound by doing that and *maybe* more cushy seats. As an example, I wouldn't be willing to give up HID lights, so that right there tosses anything lower than a Limited with Lux-II out the window.
Yeah I've had more options in previous cars and honestly I don't don't find most of them necessary. The Altitude comes with painted lowers which you wont find on a non-special edition Limited. OMG no V8? No ORA-I or II :eek: Are you saying most people need those options? Let's be realistic here.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Yeah I've had more options in previous cars and honestly I don't don't find most of them necessary. The Altitude comes with painted lowers which you wont find on a non-special edition Limited. OMG no V8? No ORA-I or II :eek: Are you saying most people need those options? Let's be realistic here.
I had to special order mine because of that - I got the V8, ORA-II, 8.4AN and 75th Luxury. Not even remotely something that Koons keeps on their lot.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
"Different stroke for different folks."

I would personally get something new instead of a used problematic vehicle. It might just be me, but I wouldn't want a well equipped used GC. Obviously a lot of people don't mind because someone is buying up all of the used ones. But being in school and everything that goes with that, a ride with problems is the last thing you are going to want.

·
Registered
2011 GC Overland
3,729 Posts
Don't overlook a low miles, optioned out WK 2005-2010. They are good vehicles also and the price difference could go to mods, outfit your rig with tools and accessories, get laid, etc. Don't forget to compare insurance prices, tag and taxes, etc. for the year models you are looking at. There's more to consider in owning a vehicle than just the buying price.

Good luck and post pictures here when you get it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts