Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 602 Posts

·
Registered
2015 MB C300 Sport
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since day one I have had issues with my 8sp transmission in my 2014 V6 GC Limited 4x4 (current mileage 1100)...namely downshifts into 1st and 2nd were slow & rough, and sometimes I would even get a clunk from the drivetrain. In addition, the tranny seemed to hunt for gears at times, when I would floor the gas the transmission would hang in neutral for a few, and most the time the transmission did not seem to downshift quickly enough when taking my foot off the gas pedal.

So what I thought I'd try was "Reset" by means of a battery disconnect. I have powered seats, so...

1) I raised and moved forward the passenger seat as far as it would go.

2) I pulled off the battery cover on the floor under the seat (no tools required, simply stick your finger tips in there and pry/pull off). Only 4 tabs holds the cover on.

3) Then I disconnected the negative side of the battery, pumped the brakes to dissipate residual power in the system, and let it sit for 15 minutes.

4) Then I just reconnected the negative side, reinstalled the cover, put the passenger seat back down, and started the engine...letting it idle for about 5 minutes, then took it on a short 15 minute run around town. I DID NOT LOSE ANY UConnect settings, radio pre-sets, or any other interior settings.

All I can say is WOW...my GC is a totally different animal! It's now been two days, and the rough down shifts into 1st and 2nd are still gone, no more hunting for gears, when I floor the gas it finds a gear faster, and when I take my foot off the gas pedal, the transmission immediately starts to downshift.

I will be keeping my eye on this, and will report any new findings.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Glad to hear you've tamed the beast!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I might give this a try. My first and second gears (esp. in ECO) are rough going up and down, more so in stand-still traffic around 5-15 mph stop and go. I only have 700 miles on it so it might still be breaking in.

Anyone else try this yet?

·
Registered
2014 Overland
332 Posts
Unhooked the battery and let it sit for 30 mins it actually does shift smoother WTH went for a short drive through San Francisco traffic and the down shifts were smooth with no noise/clunk. I'm confused as to why this worked but whatever.

·
Registered
374 Posts
But will the problem come back after the system learns how you drive? I might try this as well since I have a very rough shifting system. Today I ran it to high RPMs in 1st and when I shifted to 2nd it over revved and sat in neutral for several seconds. Almost got rearended because of it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My transmission has given me all sorts of problems... the dealer and Chrysler keep blaming it on lots of different things. I have had a catalytic converter replaced, two oxygen sensors replaced, and the ABS module replaced.

Why am I posting about it here? Because today, as I was on my way to the dealer for a check engine light, the Jeep shut down on me. After a minute or two of blocking traffic and getting honked at, I got it restarted, and after it restarted, the transmission drove better than it has in a month. Much smoother, no hiccups as it tried to change gears, etc... Maybe the engine shutdown forced the same type of reaction that disconnecting the battery caused for you folks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My transmission has given me all sorts of problems... the dealer and Chrysler keep blaming it on lots of different things. I have had a catalytic converter replaced, two oxygen sensors replaced, and the ABS module replaced.

Why am I posting about it here? Because today, as I was on my way to the dealer for a check engine light, the Jeep shut down on me. After a minute or two of blocking traffic and getting honked at, I got it restarted, and after it restarted, the transmission drove better than it has in a month. Much smoother, no hiccups as it tried to change gears, etc... Maybe the engine shutdown forced the same type of reaction that disconnecting the battery caused for you folks.
Holy crap! Your Jeep done did a "Blue Screen of Death". It sounds like these Jeeps are being run by a Microsoft Windows operating system! Problems with the Uconnect system...download an update. Tranny problems...reboot the Jeep! :lol:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Holy crap! Your Jeep done did a "Blue Screen of Death". It sounds like these Jeeps are being run by a Microsoft Windows operating system! Problems with the Uconnect system...download an update. Tranny problems...reboot the Jeep! :lol:
Even being annoyed right now, your post still made me laugh. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I tried again with no success. It looks like there is some sort of plug in the center. Does that need to get removed somehow before it will disconnect from the terminal?

Thanks.
No, it does look like there is a sort of rim at the top, but there isn't. I had a hard time getting mine off as well, but the terminal finally disconnected after wiggling and pulling up for a few minutes. Keep at it!

1 - 20 of 602 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.