Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

I Think I Fixed My Rough Shifting 8sp Transmission

248K views 603 replies 170 participants last post by  Jason164 
Glad to hear you've tamed the beast!

I've been following this thread since its inception, and I just want to comment that I've never experienced the shifting problems described here. I leave it in eco mode almost all of the time, and acceleration is just fine. Coming to a stop, I don't experience any harsh downshifting. I wonder if my dealer disconnected the battery before delivery to reset everything? I've driven my Jeep pretty much like I stole it from day one (old family tradition), and I've owned a couple of sports and high performance cars in my day. Although my Jeep certainly isn't a Trans Am, it moves pretty damn good for the boat it is!

Reactions: AZhiCntry
My sluggish 1-2 upshift in ECO mode has now returned, roughly two weeks after the battery reset.
I certainly don't mean to sound critical of anyone's driving habits, but maybe you're driving style is teaching it to behave this way. How do you normally accelerate from a stop? I know I always give my Jeep a little "spur" out of the hole. ;)

F60 is the Transmission Controller Module.

According to the TSB:

THE wiTECH SOFTWARE LEVEL MUST BE AT RELEASE 14.01 OR HIGHER TO PERFORM THIS PROCEDURE."

I know that's not the TCM software version, but it verifies that the dealer's equipment is up to date with the latest flash for the TCM.

Members of this forum have some incredibly good inside information thanks to Will, Milous and others. We see what is going on cutting edge with our particular vehicles. Dealers are looking at a lot of issues with many different vehicles, so they aren't as focused on our particular problems as closely as we'd like them to be. I'm not saying it's right, but this is just the way it is. Also, I think a lot of service managers aren't keeping their diagnostic equipment updated as well as they might be able to, so that can put some of this time lag we've been seeing into play. The wheels of industry grind slowly, so patience is a virtue here. :D

My '08 Enclave had a number of tranny flashes. First one wasn't much of an improvement, second one was a huge step forward. My service manager talked me out of the third one, and from what I learned, that ended up being a good idea. Only time will tell. I'm not disappointed in the way mine shifts from the factory, so I'm not in any hurry to get the available flash. You guys can be the guinea pigs. :rolleyes:

I'd like to add to this that at this time I'm not planning on getting the tranny flash done. My Jeep never shifted particularly harsh, and it feels smoother now than when it was new. I have about 2,500 miles on the odo, and rarely shift out of eco mode. I have had it in 4WD low a number of times, and it shifts into low range more smoothly every time, and the shifting in low range is smoother too. I do a lot of city stop and go driving, and I think the adaptive TCM is picking up on my driving habits just fine. I'm sure a lot of this is a function of how I drive, so I understand that others might be having a completely different experience. The TSB will always be there, so if things change, I'll reassess the situation.

I've mentioned before about tranny updates to my '08 Buick Enclave. My MPG went down with each update, and one of the reasons my service manager recommended I didn't get the third update was because of a pretty substantial hit to MPG. I think the original TCM software is geared to MPG because of government regulations, and manufacturers tweak it to keep owners happy, but to get better performance a hit to MPG is quite possible.

So called my dealer and they said the RRT doesn't show up on my jeep. I got the previous flash. Maybe they need to hook it up to wi-tech?
Yes, that would be the drill.

I got all mine updates done on saturday. Shifts 95% better then before but now my DRL's are out. Going back to the dealer today
Are they checked in the settings?

My Jeep, built in April, has had no updates, hasn't seen the dealer since delivery in April, I'm trying to hear and feel these problems, and I just can't. Driving around parking lots with radio muted and no traffic noise, nothing. No noises, no lurching, smooth and quiet. I'm not saying you guys aren't having problems. You feel and hear what is happening to your vehicle, I have no doubt. Just saying there are JGCs out here without these problems from the factory. Hope you find solutions.

Well then Chrysler is feeding me a line of bull when they say its software and not hardware I guess...
Maybe not. The adaptive nature of the software may react in different ways to different peoples driving styles. Of course, this needs to be addressed. Also, if different people drive the same car, and have different driving styles, this could cause problems. Maybe even the same person varying their driving style in different situations could cause anomalies to the adaptive programming. I guess what I'm saying, now that vehicles learn our driving habits instead of us learning the vehicle's idiosyncrasies, there could be "confusion" in the adaptive nature of the transmission's programming. I've probably been reading too much Issac Asimov. :eek:

Reactions: Willx
Here's the TSB for the latest flash. You could print it and take it to your dealer. I haven't had any of the flashes done, and I'm happy with the way my Jeep has learned my driving style. I guess I'm the square peg in the round hole. Good luck, and I hope you can get your Jeep running the way you'd like it to run. When it's running right it's a joy to drive. I'm really enjoying mine!

Attachments