Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Coming from one of the nicest designed SUVs ever, from base model to trackhawk, I knew it would be hard to improve on the outgoing model, but I really feel like Jeep missed the mark here in its exterior design. And I'm not just talking about this horrible "Honda Odyssey-style" rear roof design.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,698 Posts
View attachment 237525

Coming from one of the nicest designed SUVs ever, from base model to trackhawk, I knew it would be hard to improve on the outgoing model, but I really feel like Jeep missed the mark here in its exterior design. And I'm not just talking about this horrible "Honda Odyssey-style" rear roof design.
Good call. The "look" of the Honda Odyssey never felt good to me.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
If the top picture is the Honda you mentioned i agree that tapered roof looks weird.
Not sure about the bottom picture assuming its a Jeep looks basically ok to me.
What am i missing?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the top picture is the Honda you mentioned i agree that tapered roof looks weird.
What am i missing?
The chrome belt line on the Honda and the black belt line on the new GC has a black bar above it to mimic a floating roof. If jeep wanted to make a 2 tone option with a halo roof like range rover, they should have kept the simple belt line and not include the black bar above it. Every time I see the new 2 row GC, all ibsee is Honda Odyssey lol

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.6L 4x2
1,807 Posts
Hard to differentiate the WL from most of the other manufacturers SUV offerings. IMHO, the WL looks like the bastard son of a WK and a Durango🙄.

·
Super Moderator
10,306 Posts
What am i missing?
Bottom photo is the WL-74

·
Registered
03 WJ, 4.Slow, 3" IRO
429 Posts
Is there an SUV of any make and model that isn't really a glorified minivan? Jeep is Italian now. Italians may have the styling on sports cars and motorcycles but their passenger vehicles and light trucks have all the appeal of a pregnant rodent.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree the quarter panel styling of the WL looks bad. Even worse when it's a chrome strip (instead of black) around the windows. Hopefully they change that in future tweaks as the years go by...

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 3.6
63 Posts
The interior of the WL is great from what I can see in pictures, but the exterior design should be interesting to see develop.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Bottom photo is the WL-74
Man if its that small black strip which at this point i'm not ever sure thats what you all are discussing i think its a knit pick'n trivial thing.
Simple solution if the body styling bothers some of you don't buy a WL, i know i won't and not for the black strip if indeed thats whats upsetting people.

Jim,
i think i know generally what a WL is but what is a WL-74?

·
Super Moderator
10,306 Posts
i think i know generally what a WL is but what is a WL-74?
Don already answered...WL has two variants, unlike previous JGC. 2-row and 3-row. So the "code" WL has two variations to match; WL-74 and WL-75. The former is not yet in production but expected soon as Jeep did the "official reveal" last week.

And yes, some folks are not enthralled with the "floating d pillar" visual design that the two row features as shown in the photo. I expect that a year from now, most folks will not even notice it, but I can appreciate that it's a subjective thing.

Reactions: moparado

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Yeah that Honda does have a so called what looks like a floating roof no doubt about it.
IMO not so much with that small black strip on the WL.

If that black strip would be the only thing stopping me from buying a WL, why i'd buy some rattle can touch up paint, mask off the surrounding areas and paint the thing the same color as the roof. Done.

I keep wondering what these new Jeep Grands and Cherokees would look like if Chrysler stayed Chrysler without the current Euro influencers sticking their noses into the designs.

Reactions: Guts

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 3.6
63 Posts
Not a fan of the two-tone body/roof look either. I'm sure there will be more options as time goes on, but upon first pass most models require either all black or a two tone option, unless I'm missing something. I AM a fan of the new jeep grill 'smooshed' look. The large cutout for the lower front fascia not so much. The WK2, especially the later years, just has such an iconic look, but maybe that's because we've lived with it for so long.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I cant unsee anything from the new WL74. I purposely bought a '21 for this reason but I'm banking on Jeep to do a refresh in 3-4 years and hopefully fix the cosmetics of these. I mean, IMHO, this looks a ZJ thats been rounded off with an underbite for a grill and mid 2000s Asian car taillights. There are no style lines, no edges, no boldness, nothing like the predecessors had. Yeah, we got a minivan floating roof though!!! Look at the hood, door panels, and lift gate and you see there is NOTHING defining about them. The whole market seems to be moving towards the flat emotionless design but look at the generation making these decisions now; the Millennials, and I am unfortunately one of them.

·
Super Moderator
10,306 Posts
Kb, it's important to remember that the "issues" you speak about are subjective. There is no guarantee that the things you dislike will be "fixed" in a future refresh because they may not be perceived as issues by the majority of the marketplace. Time will tell on that, of course, but the majority of buyers go for the Grand Cherokee for other reasons. Many of us here in the forums are "enthusiasts" and don't necessarily represent the mass market.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Its likely that the rear "black trim strips" hide a couple bolts that hold the long upper painted metal strips on.
Once you get the long strips off then you can service the sun/moon roof.

·
Premium Member
3,249 Posts
In my opinion, the floating pillar isn't bad as it is thin and with a black roof it is not even noticeable. I just wish the sides were a bit more aggressive versus flat like. The WL-74 looks a lot better than how the WL-75 looks.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts