Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the same boat.
Went in for replacement for OFA was told it cracked cause had last change elsewhere, then called to say the part was "backordered". I started researching issues etc. Opened up a case with Jeep-explaining this should be covered as so many have this problem, she was going to look into the issue.
couple days later the part appears at dealer. Jeep calls back wanting to help me make appt. I ask, is it the same part as the one discontinued? She said it is not discontinued, but back ordered due to the plants being shutdown etc.
Cannot be covered under powertrain, which expired in April- (I have 58K mi)
So I'm going to pay $1500 for a part that could crack again.....
So I decided to wait it out.. Was thinking of buying the gladiator, but after all my research I'm not so sure.

Weird thing is
Mopar part # 5184294AE
Quadratec etc- # 68105583AF

Editorial II
dealership is going to charge him $2,000 for this repair. He's between a rock and a hard place and the only way out.. is to get out and that's what he did. A jeep wrangler he's had since 2015 all coming to an end. Just because jeep continues to have their parts built in China instead of somewhere closer to home.

·
Registered
1 Posts
According to carcomplaints.com & carproblemzoo.com and many online searches or forums relating to the failure of the Oil Filter Assembly (OFA), Jeep has discontinued the manufacturing of the Oil Filter Assembly (OFA) and may be opting for a redesign. What does this mean? It means that at some point within your Dodge or Jeep's history, the current 3.2L/3.6L OFA is going to fail and you're going to be left with oil spewing out the back of your engine, down onto your transmission and onto your exhaust system.

Some have said that this "could" catch fire as an end result. But let's clear the air. According to our Diesel expect, the only way oil can catch fire is if it under extreme pressure & heat. as this would not be the case under the jeep while driving etc. The worse that can happen is the exhaust will smoke.
View attachment 231805
This part as well as other oil filter adapter/assembly parts are being discontinued, it's our belief that jeep may be redesigning this cooler assembly.

According to another post on the forum, this person is claiming that the oil is bypassing the oil filter entirely. our issues is not related to the oil filter but the oil cooler. So our oil is passing through the filter, but is not passing through the oil cooler. But without removing the intake manifold, The dealership can not verify what or how the oil is leaking other than seeing other jeeps with this same issue. According to jeep, this is not a dangerous or hazardous enough issue to warrant a recall.

You will need to take precautions to routinely degrease and wash this oil back flow off these components and maintain your oil level because there's no replacement on the market. Jeep themselves has known of this issue since 2014 and has not issued any recalls.

View attachment 231686
Oil Filter Assembly (OFA)

So if you start seeing an oil leak like this on the engine/transmission, One might think it's the rear main seal. Have your jeep diagnosed as to verify if it's your OFA and not the rear main seal. As of one week ago, Our 2017 jeep Wrangler with 72K miles was diagnosed with a failing OFA without any ETA on when the replacement part will arrive. This failing part effects ALL Dodge & Jeep Models with either the 3.2L or the 3.6L Pentastar Engines.

View attachment 231687
Oil leak that looks like a rear main seal failure

I've been doing some cross-referencing of this part on several retailer's parts sites. None of these sites are listing this oil filter assembly or list the assembly as being on back order. The only sites that list this part as being available is eBay & Amazon. We're hoping to hold on any panic buying in order to have the dealership install this part as they will offer a lifetime warranty. Otherwise you can take your chances with using aftermarket parts or buying from sites like Amazon or eBay.

I've also contacted Jeepcares in another forum as well as on twitter and within their Jeepcares web site to see what can be done about this issue. if you're jeep is going through this same issue, then you need to either post you failure date on carcompleints.com or other sites and let others know this is unacceptable. We need this part redesigned and soon.

If your Dodge, Jeep or any other vehicle with the 3.2L or 3.6L engine has this leaking Oil filter assembly, send a contact to @JeepCares here:

Email Jeep
https://twitter.com/JeepCares
I havent got 70k yet, was just informed yesterday that its not my rear main seal as we initially thought, but the oil cooling housing. Of course the dealership said they currently have it on backorder. 2500 shipment stuck out in the ocean somewhere and the 4 they have are already bought.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Anybody think that the problem is caused simply because the tech doing the oil change over torqued the filter? At the same service appointment a tire rotation was performed and the lug nuts were over torqued also. The damage for both was in excess of $1000. This is happening on the Town & Country and Grand Caravan with the 3.6 engine. What did FCA change on the 3.6 in the Pacifica? Assuming the problem ended in the 3.6 Pacifica.
I don’t want to rant, but I bought my 2014 Town & Country with the Lifetime Maximum Warranty. The van had all the features I wanted and an $8000 discount. Past performance is an indication of future results.
Having owned two other Chrysler minivans I knew that additional warranty coverage was a necessary option.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I agree that over torqueing is a big big issue, my 13 Journey with 155000 miles on it has had no issue and I do the oil changes myself. Over time I guess they can become brittle from heat etc

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this same issue with the engine oil cooler cracking and leaking oil all over - and in So Cal every dealership we called said they had over 30k of them on backorder as of March 2021. I called Jeep HQ (800-992-1997) to see why the hell this wasn't a recall with clearly a massive need for replacement.. they said unless more people call in and report to their customer service that they have an issue, it won't be recalled. It's some BS..but maybe try giving them a call with your VIN and at least make a file on it..

@MAGIC84 @catch22! @OscarMike @FastPony @moparado

·
Registered
102 Posts
Stellantis now owns FCA. When someone calls an 800 number with a complaint the information is entered in a database. Its management that decides what happens next.
Apparently, the decision has been made at the corporate level to do nothing. It’s cheaper.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 Dodge journey 3.6L which I purchased in 2013 with 25000 miles. It now has 167000 miles last week I noticed it was borderline over heating. Went to add antifreeze and noticed it was dry thought that was odd. The day after I added antifreeze over heated again, this time on my wife. I notice after her drive there was fluid dripping on the opposite side of the engine from the coolant reservoir. I automatically called my mechanic same day that evening he calls me. The heat exchanger on my engine oil cooler assembly had cracked below is were exactly the crack is located. He said it’s common for this part to have some issues. As old as my car is with the mileage accumulated during the years it’s somewhat expected. Below I attached some images hoping this helps locate your problem also. P.s. don’t let a mechanic swindle you into a new radiator if the leak is nowhere near the front end..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anybody think that the problem is caused simply because the tech doing the oil change over torqued the filter? At the same service appointment a tire rotation was performed and the lug nuts were over torqued also. The damage for both was in excess of $1000. This is happening on the Town & Country and Grand Caravan with the 3.6 engine. What did FCA change on the 3.6 in the Pacifica? Assuming the problem ended in the 3.6 Pacifica.
I don’t want to rant, but I bought my 2014 Town & Country with the Lifetime Maximum Warranty. The van had all the features I wanted and an $8000 discount. Past performance is an indication of future results.
Having owned two other Chrysler minivans I knew that additional warranty coverage was a necessary option.
Sure makes me glade I own a wrangler 2011 with that puny 3.8L engine At least it does not have this problem

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Sure makes me glade I own a wrangler 2011 with that puny 3.8L engine At least it does not have this problem
We owned a 2013 JK with the 3.6 for 7.5 years. We had lifetime free oil changes done by the dealer every 3,000 miles and never had any problems with it like has been discussed in this thread. We're glad we had the 3.6 with 285 hp engine vs earlier models.

·
Registered
55 Posts
We owned a 2013 JK with the 3.6 for 7.5 years. We had lifetime free oil changes done by the dealer every 3,000 miles and never had any problems with it like has been discussed in this thread. We're glad we had the 3.6 with 285 hp engine vs earlier models.
A rarity indeed. I use the dealer for oil changes and about 6 months ago the new oil guy cranked down on the filter so fast it made the popping sound before I could tell him hand tight only is needed. Been driving since then with an oil cooler leak again, this isn't the first time having it happen, won't be the last. The kid no longer works there.. Aside from oil smell and a bit of smoking it's not bad waiting a bit. Dealer fixed mine yesterday.

I do question how this part came to be and who thought it was a good idea to put plastic and metal in the valley of an engine that runs hotter than previous types. A single or two piece metal replacement would be nice, at least a metal base - and something that can hold up to the pressure and twisting..

·
Registered
1 Posts
We've been lucky as our oil leak is simply flowing out the back of the engine down the trans and onto the ground on the jeep's crossmembers, skid plate etc. Just went outside and sprayed Gunk degrease on the belly. I keep checking the oil level and the dipstick looks fine though I added some the other day. I just hope this doesn't continue for month/s. My problem is that I submitted a claim to Valvoline for incorrectly tightening the oil filter cap and they abruptly denied my claim.
This just happened to me, how did you get them to cover the cost and repairs. $895.00 for it to be fixed. POURED oil out of jeep once it was lift onto flatbed tow truck. It leaked all the way home then they came out said have it towed and remaining oil poured out on tow truck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So is Jeep covering this issue out
of warranty? Why should I have to spend $200 (the deductable on my extended Jeep warranty) if this is a known problem and keep appears to recognize it?

This has not occurred yet on my 2015 3.6 JG with
50 k miles.

I just got a quote from my dealership informing me it is going to be $1400.00 for part and replacement. My powertrain warranty won't cover apparently.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is why you pay the extra 25.00 to have your oil changed at the dealer. Or for any repairs as a whole. OEM parts will give you the expected service in this case @ 50K on an oil cooler assy. Its my. Opinion dealer service is the way to go. Will I ever own another jeep product? Probably not as all the new garbage they put on vehicles in the name of gas mileage is horrendous.

They are selling 80K dollars throw away vehicles. 6-10 years buy another.. It beats all I have ever seen. Enjoy that rat race.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep, first post. Same, 75k miles, drive 45 miles to town to get serviced, and 5 minutes later they call me into shop to show all the oil coverage under our 2014 unlimited sport. Are you kidding me! $1,423.81 due tomorrow when we pick it up. Oil cooler leaks are no joke.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Took my vehicle to the local CJDR dealership for all scheduled maintenance. 3.6 engine. Day after last oil change and tire rotation the leak started. Covered by warranty, otherwise I would have had to pay. Incompetence is not exclusive to quick oil change shops. Also discovered all wheel lug nuts over tightened when I bought new tires a month later.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2 weeks ago. Took my 2015 Grand Cherokee in for an oil Change. Drove home and parked it. 3 days later took it on a 80 mile drive and smelled oil. Took it back to the dealer. They say the oil cooler is cracked. I definitely think there's something to the tech's over torqueing these. Edit. All oil changes and work have been done at the dealer. 150,000 miles.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts