Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
According to carcomplaints.com & carproblemzoo.com and many online searches or forums relating to the failure of the Oil Filter Assembly (OFA), Jeep has discontinued the manufacturing of the Oil Filter Assembly (OFA) and may be opting for a redesign. What does this mean? It means that at some point within your Dodge or Jeep's history, the current 3.2L/3.6L OFA is going to fail and you're going to be left with oil spewing out the back of your engine, down onto your transmission and onto your exhaust system.

Some have said that this "could" catch fire as an end result. But let's clear the air. According to our Diesel expect, the only way oil can catch fire is if it under extreme pressure & heat. as this would not be the case under the jeep while driving etc. The worse that can happen is the exhaust will smoke.

This part as well as other oil filter adapter/assembly parts are being discontinued, it's our belief that jeep may be redesigning this cooler assembly.

According to another post on the forum, this person is claiming that the oil is bypassing the oil filter entirely. our issues is not related to the oil filter but the oil cooler. So our oil is passing through the filter, but is not passing through the oil cooler. But without removing the intake manifold, The dealership can not verify what or how the oil is leaking other than seeing other jeeps with this same issue. According to jeep, this is not a dangerous or hazardous enough issue to warrant a recall.

You will need to take precautions to routinely degrease and wash this oil back flow off these components and maintain your oil level because there's no replacement on the market. Jeep themselves has known of this issue since 2014 and has not issued any recalls.

Oil Filter Assembly (OFA)

So if you start seeing an oil leak like this on the engine/transmission, One might think it's the rear main seal. Have your jeep diagnosed as to verify if it's your OFA and not the rear main seal. As of one week ago, Our 2017 jeep Wrangler with 72K miles was diagnosed with a failing OFA without any ETA on when the replacement part will arrive. This failing part effects ALL Dodge & Jeep Models with either the 3.2L or the 3.6L Pentastar Engines.

Oil leak that looks like a rear main seal failure

I've been doing some cross-referencing of this part on several retailer's parts sites. None of these sites are listing this oil filter assembly or list the assembly as being on back order. The only sites that list this part as being available is eBay & Amazon. We're hoping to hold on any panic buying in order to have the dealership install this part as they will offer a lifetime warranty. Otherwise you can take your chances with using aftermarket parts or buying from sites like Amazon or eBay.

I've also contacted Jeepcares in another forum as well as on twitter and within their Jeepcares web site to see what can be done about this issue. if you're jeep is going through this same issue, then you need to either post you failure date on carcompleints.com or other sites and let others know this is unacceptable. We need this part redesigned and soon.

If your Dodge, Jeep or any other vehicle with the 3.2L or 3.6L engine has this leaking Oil filter assembly, send a contact to @JeepCares here:

Email Jeep
https://twitter.com/JeepCares

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Great! One more thing to keep me awake at night!

What specific part or parts of the OFA fails?

I never like these new plastic oil filter assemblies. Nothing like the old metal spin on filters.
This reminds me of timing 'belts' another bad idea.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The dealership informs us that the crack/break has occurred somewhere within the housing of the oil filter assembly. So until the part comes in and it's installed I can't validate anymore than that. At least it's not the rear main seal which is what others have told me and what I thought it might have been. Look at what others have said on the carproblemzoo.com site.

I personally would like to see the return of the old fashion oil filter canister mounted on the rear side of the engine. I have been running an idea through the engineers. Asked if there's a way to mount plate/adapter made to take the place of where the OFA is located. This plate would have metal/tubes running through/between the engine heads out the back, down the side of the engine where an old fashion oil filter canister can be mounted. just a thought.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The dealership informs us that the crack/break has occurred somewhere within the housing of the oil filter assembly. So until the part comes in and it's installed I can't validate anymore than that. At least it's not the rear main seal which is what others have told me and what I thought it might have been. Look at what others have said on the carproblemzoo.com site.

I personally would like to see the return of the old fashion oil filter canister mounted on the rear side of the engine. I have been running an idea through the engineers. Asked if there's a way to mount plate/adapter made to take the place of where the OFA is located. This plate would have metal/tubes running through/between the engine heads out the back, down the side of the engine where an old fashion oil filter canister can be mounted. just a thought.
Thanks for the reply. So its the plastic cracking, what a surprise.
I like your idea of adapting a spin on filter. Lets hope the engineers go for it.

I had an oil filter leak fiasco last Summer from a dealership oil change.
The oil filter sprung a gushing leak and only noticed it when i got half way home.
Smoke, smell and the alternator quit working because of its oil soaked belt/pulley.
Rolled back into the dealership with only 11 to 13 psi of oil pressure.
The dealership said the rubber gasket split so they claimed.
I strongly suspect their oil jockey over torqued causing the gasket to split.

After they pressure washed the engine bay i demanded they replace the oil soaked fan belt with a new one and document the incident to my satisfaction.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We've been lucky as our oil leak is simply flowing out the back of the engine down the trans and onto the ground on the jeep's crossmembers, skid plate etc. Just went outside and sprayed Gunk degrease on the belly. I keep checking the oil level and the dipstick looks fine though I added some the other day. I just hope this doesn't continue for month/s. My problem is that I submitted a claim to Valvoline for incorrectly tightening the oil filter cap and they abruptly denied my claim.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This just happened on my son's 2015 Cherokee Latitude. $300 part and 2 hours labor to repair. Kind of disappointing to know Jeep has known of this problem for so long and done nothing to remedy the situation ie recall.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you @larrywal I was unaware of any other engines. But yes the OFA is interchangeable / upgradeable in the 3.2L engines also.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,768 Posts
Great! One more thing to keep me awake at night!

What specific part or parts of the OFA fails?

I never like these new plastic oil filter assemblies. Nothing like the old metal spin on filters.
This reminds me of timing 'belts' another bad idea.
Just think of it as the oil filter adapter on XJs and their dried out rubber o-rings.

I much prefer timing belts over the complicated timing chain setups some of these engines have. At least the belt is designed to be serviced and rather cheap.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Just think of it as the oil filter adapter on XJs and their dried out rubber o-rings.

I much prefer timing belts over the complicated timing chain setups some of these engines have. At least the belt is designed to be serviced and rather cheap.
Todd, out of the hundreds maybe thousands of spin filters i replaced over the years, never ever had the gasket go bad or leak.
They need to be torqued properly and the gasket needs to be lubed before installing.
More importantly with at least the vast majority of spin on oil filter systems, there's no plastic to crack.

Far as timing belts, if one snaps and it happens to be in an interference engine...hello engine swap or rebuild.
Depending on the engine and vehicle, timing belt replacements can cost up to a $1000 or more depending on the shop..
And they need to be replaced regularly per mfger's maints. schedule.

At least with a timing chain, it'll stretch or rattle against the timing cover with extremely high mileage giving the owner a heads up with poor engine performance especially if it jumps a sprocket tooth.

Very rarely will a timing chain snap due to extreme wear in a stock OEM engine.
The OEM timing chain on my old '94 XJ made it up to some 350K miles and was still running strong.
Similar with my current high mileage XJ.

Reactions: larrywal

·
Registered
78 Posts
Motherfucker!!!!!!! Getting old, and thought I could let some kid change the oil from here on out..... Looks like your better off doing your own shit..... At least I care...... Thanks for the info!!!!!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here's the latest.

JeepCares just got back to me on twitter, I asked several questions in reference to if this part is being redesigned (according to our dealership) and when can we see this part back in stock at major retailers. So unless JeepCares on this forum has something to added, here is what the Jeepcares twitter said:

Unfortunately, I am unable to speculate on whether or not apart is being redesigned, I apologize. That said, so I amunderstanding, has your dealership already ordered the part or willyou be purchasing from a third party? If you are purchasing through athird party, our team is unable to assist and will recommend you workwith them to obtain the part. Please let me know. ^KP
I informed this person that we're hoping to wait this out, but if it takes months for this part, we're either going to have to locate it third party or get rid of the jeep. This is unfortunate and when I confronted the jeepcares twitter account holder. I told them the reason there's a delay is prob because the part is or was made in China..

Yesterday afternoon,

Theres some light at the far end of the tunnel, Jeepcares (twitter) just got back to me later that afternoon. They asked me to call our dealership and make sure the part was ordered. Then they asked that I get the order number from the dealership and send it to jeepcares or have the dealership call jeepcares then they will attempt to expedite the part to my dealership direct.

IE: A case number was created and we were assigned a case worker to help us through this.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Here's something I discovered a few mornings ago.

Although we've been keeping tabs on the oil level and where the oil ends up on the engine, transmission and exhaust, I've been using the Gunk degreaser. But just ran out. I needed something to wash the oil off the bottom of the jeep and I've been turning to.. dawn.

I created hot soapy mix of dawn and hot wash in a seal bucket and took it out to the jeep. This combination is working better than the gunk product to clean up all the oil stains and leaves the jeep's belly supper clean and actually repels the oil. So I'm not see as much oil on the exhaust. I've done this two days in a row and the jeep's belly looks surprisingly better than expected.

So before you waste money on degreasing products just use your dish washing soap and some hot water. This mix doesn't even need to be washed off afterward like the gunk or super clean degreaser products. A small container of dawn from family dollar cost less than $1 dollar.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
here's the latest:

Called the dealership this afternoon and wanted to ask a few questions of the parts department. I wanted to find out what the part number they ordered for the jeep. My objective was to see if I could locate this part on my own. I was given the part number and that it Supersedes several other version of oil filter assemblies. The parts department also informed me that they personally order 15 of these assemblies and there is a nation wide demand for this part current total 5,678 of these oil filter assemblies are on back order.. So I shouldn't feel so bad thinking I'm the only one with this issue.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
2,057 Posts
Can you post the newest part number? Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds to me like the design is not so much the problem but the material. Keep the same design but redesign with metal color assembly and metal oil filter casing assembly.

The biggest problem is the new FCA parent company that will try to cut costs and deny liability even further! Good luck but until the. Keep eye on oil and be careful tightening the filter housing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It is being "remade" now????? Or that's what someone said could be done???? And the reality of plastic in the motor world still baffles me.... Intake maybe, sucking cold air stays cold???? But parts that take that kinda heat, and pressure...... And then have things wrenched on when there hot, change the oil and crank it back on..... And later when it all cools off, and contracts...... What was supposed to happen???? Thanks for the info brother.....

·
Registered
69 Posts
So is Jeep covering this issue out
of warranty? Why should I have to spend $200 (the deductable on my extended Jeep warranty) if this is a known problem and keep appears to recognize it?

This has not occurred yet on my 2015 3.6 JG with
50 k miles.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I swear, the more plastic they add to engine components the less the long term reliability.
Plastic + heat + cold + vibration + stress = eventual failure.

What the hell were the engineers thinking about incorporating an oil filtering system made out of plastic!

·
Registered
47 Posts
The engineers were thinking right.....perfect example of them most likely being outvoted by accountants and BOD....

if we had CEO’s that had a backbone and would stand up to bean counters and say enough is enough!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts