Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
To answer most of your question:

1) As to handing out any particular part number, I cant do that because we're waiting for the part just as bad as the next guy. So sorry to say dog eat dog here. But once the part arrives I'll be sure to post the updated version number as this new number supersedes 5 other/older versions.

2) As for if this is covered under the warranty, if you're vehicle is till under warranty this would be under the powertrain warranty. Sadly our warranty expired 10K miles ago.

3) Jeep has said to our dealership and according to others I've spoke with, this issue is not a serous enough issue to warrant a recall.

But I've been working on something to explain what might be happening. Although some has said that the lube shops or customer are over tightening the oil caps, in the earlier versions or those units that were mounted on the 3.2L had a metal housing (oil cooler) which was perpendicular to the engine heads or in a straight line. Our version for the 3.6L has wavy edges that fit snuggle between the engine heads. almost conforming to the intake ports. Jeep did this to secure the unit more so that it could withstand a tighter fit.

But still with the part being plastic, there is still a chance that if an extreme amount of force was used to tighten the oil cap, it can fracture below the oil filter cylinder as pointed out in image 1:

Take note of each one of these holes on the bottom of the assembly, there are rubber gaskets that could be failing at some point it was said that the over tightening would break one of these oil circulation tubes. But as I said, jeep widened the metal housing to better anchor the unit to the engine block.

Image 2 shows another point where there's a weak design and could cause a break.

This fill hole is the main circulation tube point that leads to the oil cooler unit is where the dealership is telling me where the issue is. There is a blockage or break within the forward tube which is not allowing the circulation of oil through the oil cooler (the metal plate device on the top of the unit).

However I've just developed a new theory, Take note if image 3

What you're looking at is an exit tube from the assembly. There is a rubber hose running from this tube to parts unknow or that I've yet to follow through. its been too damn cold for me to get under the jeep and follow this through. But this entire assembly is located under the intake manifold and it can't be seen other than the oil filter cap on top of the engine etc. I under the impression that the hose attached to this exit tube has come lose as it's a tension type fitting. In other words (correct me if someone has removed this unit can verify) that if the hose from this location without any hose clam simply blows back or has ruptured, this will cause the leak.

So my bet is on the rubber hose has simply fallen off the exit tube at the rear of the assembly.

Last bit of info. I was told earlier today (with no guaranties as not to get anyone's hopes up) that these newly revised units could be on dealership shelves or thirds party shelves sometime after march 12th 2021.

Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
Giving out the part number is not going to interfere with your order, but ok :LOL: :LOL:

Registered
The 3.6 on the Chrysler T&C and Dodge Grand Caravan have the same problem. Always take my 2014 T&C to the same dealer for service. Had the oil leak problem at last oil change. Dealership did not admit liability but fix was covered by Lifetime Maximum Warranty minus $100 deductible.
I鈥檓 surprised there hasn鈥檛 been a TSB on this.

Registered
So I have 2014...... And maybe the plastic guy cared that day/month????? It's plastic, if it works it works..... Bad batch/manufacturers on a run or two???? Still good to know.....

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
I need everyone's opinion here, We're working on a new design which relocates this oil filter assembly. Basically one keeps the oil filter cooler in the current location, but runs lines out the back between the heads and down one side of the engine block. Then mounts to an old school oil canister adapter thus removing the plastic oil filter unit entirely.

Thoughts?

Registered
The engineers were thinking right.....perfect example of them most likely being outvoted by accountants and BOD....

if we had CEO鈥檚 that had a backbone and would stand up to bean counters and say enough is enough!
You have to remember something: Just because you had a Lionel Train as a kid does not make you an engineer!!!! A lot of engineering changes are made to justify the persons position. Most of these "ENGINEERS" are sitting in the CHAIR waiting for their next position and promotion. Ov\er half of them do not even drive the product let alone spend THEIR money on buying one of these pieces of CRAP!!!!!!!!!

Registered
According to carcomplaints.com & carproblemzoo.com and many online searches or forums relating to the failure of the Oil Filter Assembly (OFA), Jeep has discontinued the manufacturing of the Oil Filter Assembly (OFA) and may be opting for a redesign. What does this mean? It means that at some point within your Dodge or Jeep's history, the current 3.6L/3.2L OFA is going to fail and you're going to be left with oil spewing out the back of your engine, down onto your transmission and onto your exhaust system.

Some have said that this "could" catch fire as an end result. But let's clear the air. According to our Diesel expect, the only way oil can catch fire is if it under extreme pressure & heat. as this would not be the case under the jeep while driving etc. The worse that can happen is the exhaust will smoke.
View attachment 231805
With this part being discontinued, it's our belief that jeep may be redesigning this cooler assembly.

According to another post on the forum, this person is claiming that the oil is bypassing the oil filter entirely. our issues is not related to the oil filter but the oil cooler. So our oil is passing through the filter, but is not passing through the oil cooler. But without removing the intake manifold, The dealership can not verify what or how the oil is leaking other than seeing other jeeps with this same issue. According to jeep, this is not a dangerous or hazardous enough issue to warrant a recall.

You will need to take precautions to routinely degrease and wash this oil back flow off these components and maintain your oil level because there's no replacement on the market. Jeep themselves has known of this issue since 2014 and has not issued any recalls. It is also important to anyone performing your oil change on any of the 3.6L engines, DO NOT overtighten the oil cap as this can break the housing/assembly & seals on the assembly thus causing the leak.

View attachment 231686
Oil Filter Assembly (OFA)

So if you start seeing an oil leak like this on the engine/transmission, One might think it's the rear main seal. Have your jeep diagnosed as to verify if it's your OFA and not the rear main seal. As of one week ago, Our 2017 jeep Wrangler with 72K miles was diagnosed with a failing OFA without any ETA on when the replacement part will arrive. This failing part effects ALL Dodge & Jeep Models with either the 3.2L or the 3.6L Pentastar Engines.

View attachment 231687
Oil leak that looks like a rear main seal failure

I've been doing some cross-referencing of this part on several retailer's parts sites. None of these sites are listing this oil filter assembly or list the assembly as being on back order. The only sites that list this part as being available is eBay & Amazon. We're hoping to hold on any panic buying in order to have the dealership install this part as they will offer a lifetime warranty. Otherwise you can take your chances with using aftermarket parts or buying from sites like Amazon or eBay.

I've also contacted Jeepcares in another forum as well as on twitter and within their Jeepcares web site to see what can be done about this issue. if you're jeep is going through this same issue, then you need to either post you failure date on carcompleints.com or other sites and let others know this is unacceptable. We need this part redesigned and soon.

If your Dodge, Jeep or any other vehicle with the 3.2L or 3.6L engine has this leaking Oil filter assembly, send a contact to @JeepCares here:

Email Jeep
https://twitter.com/JeepCares
The engineers were thinking right.....perfect example of them most likely being outvoted by accountants and BOD....

if we had CEO鈥檚 that had a backbone and would stand up to bean counters and say enough is enough!
What was wrong with the old spin on oil filters they worked much better than those stupid canister ones .Never a problem with them

Registered
Here's something I discovered a few mornings ago.

Although we've been keeping tabs on the oil level and where the oil ends up on the engine, transmission and exhaust, I've been using the Gunk degreaser. But just ran out. I needed something to wash the oil off the bottom of the jeep and I've been turning to.. dawn.

I created hot soapy mix of dawn and hot wash in a seal bucket and took it out to the jeep. This combination is working better than the gunk product to clean up all the oil stains and leaves the jeep's belly supper clean and actually repels the oil. So I'm not see as much oil on the exhaust. I've done this two days in a row and the jeep's belly looks surprisingly better than expected.

So before you waste money on degreasing products just use your dish washing soap and some hot water. This mix doesn't even need to be washed off afterward like the gunk or super clean degreaser products. A small container of dawn from family dollar cost less than $1 dollar.
The silver lining to this story is with all that oil leaking out under your jeep the frame wont rust

Registered
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)

One thing that may get readers of this tread confused is that they think they need a plastic tube mounting bracket with a spring. Only the 2012-2013 wrangler need this plastic piece with the spring. However, it would be beneficial to replace the entire old spring type unit with the new 2014-2018 unit as it doesn't require the plastic mount and spring. Just be warned if you take your jeep to lube centers that they know it's the undated version without the spring mechanism and the new unit will require the new drop in oil filter.

Also, found this for anyone interested:

Registered
Discussion Starter #32
Update:

Just discovered, that if anyone is having the same oil filter assembly/adapted issue, and you're about ready to order or your dealership or parts distributor has ordered this assembly, Make sure that you verify that the replacement o-ring kit is the current revision or has 3 out of the 5 rings are orange. This is a Jeep revision in order to isolate possible o-ring failures on the oil filter adapters.

Again make sure that you or your mechanic knows that a set of o-rings containing 3 orange rings and 2 black rings is the current updated revision.

Registered
According to carcomplaints.com & carproblemzoo.com and many online searches or forums relating to the failure of the Oil Filter Assembly (OFA), Jeep has discontinued the manufacturing of the Oil Filter Assembly (OFA) and may be opting for a redesign. What does this mean? It means that at some point within your Dodge or Jeep's history, the current 3.6L/3.2L OFA is going to fail and you're going to be left with oil spewing out the back of your engine, down onto your transmission and onto your exhaust system.

Some have said that this "could" catch fire as an end result. But let's clear the air. According to our Diesel expect, the only way oil can catch fire is if it under extreme pressure & heat. as this would not be the case under the jeep while driving etc. The worse that can happen is the exhaust will smoke.
View attachment 231805
With this part being discontinued, it's our belief that jeep may be redesigning this cooler assembly.

According to another post on the forum, this person is claiming that the oil is bypassing the oil filter entirely. our issues is not related to the oil filter but the oil cooler. So our oil is passing through the filter, but is not passing through the oil cooler. But without removing the intake manifold, The dealership can not verify what or how the oil is leaking other than seeing other jeeps with this same issue. According to jeep, this is not a dangerous or hazardous enough issue to warrant a recall.

You will need to take precautions to routinely degrease and wash this oil back flow off these components and maintain your oil level because there's no replacement on the market. Jeep themselves has known of this issue since 2014 and has not issued any recalls. It is also important to anyone performing your oil change on any of the 3.6L engines, DO NOT overtighten the oil cap as this can break the housing/assembly & seals on the assembly thus causing the leak.

View attachment 231686
Oil Filter Assembly (OFA)

So if you start seeing an oil leak like this on the engine/transmission, One might think it's the rear main seal. Have your jeep diagnosed as to verify if it's your OFA and not the rear main seal. As of one week ago, Our 2017 jeep Wrangler with 72K miles was diagnosed with a failing OFA without any ETA on when the replacement part will arrive. This failing part effects ALL Dodge & Jeep Models with either the 3.2L or the 3.6L Pentastar Engines.

View attachment 231687
Oil leak that looks like a rear main seal failure

I've been doing some cross-referencing of this part on several retailer's parts sites. None of these sites are listing this oil filter assembly or list the assembly as being on back order. The only sites that list this part as being available is eBay & Amazon. We're hoping to hold on any panic buying in order to have the dealership install this part as they will offer a lifetime warranty. Otherwise you can take your chances with using aftermarket parts or buying from sites like Amazon or eBay.

I've also contacted Jeepcares in another forum as well as on twitter and within their Jeepcares web site to see what can be done about this issue. if you're jeep is going through this same issue, then you need to either post you failure date on carcompleints.com or other sites and let others know this is unacceptable. We need this part redesigned and soon.

If your Dodge, Jeep or any other vehicle with the 3.2L or 3.6L engine has this leaking Oil filter assembly, send a contact to @JeepCares here:

Email Jeep
https://twitter.com/JeepCares
My 2014 Laredo went out at 50k miles, repair shop said to expect it to go out again in another 50k miles

Registered
Discussion Starter #34
Update:

I've just acquired an image confirming that there is a tension hose clamp on the rear flow tube on the oil filter assembly/adapter. So this blows my theory of there not being a hose clamp there out of the water. This all resorts back to faulty or failing o-rings or a single o-ring on the assembly between the assembly and engine block.

Registered
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Concern;

So here a concern we might have to face when this part has been removed from the engine block. The issue could be but highly unlikely, is that one of the plastic flow tubes inserted down into the engine block has broken. If this is the case, the piece could have fallen down into the block or rest precariously in the opening. If the flow tube is broken it would allow oil to spew out through the broken area, accumulate between the engine heads then slowly build up over time then flow over out the rear of the engine when the vehicle is stressed into a curve or over obstacles.

The only other option is that the o-ring or rings have ruptured because of their faulty design not being able to withstand high heat or oil flow pressure. This is one reason why at times the engine looks clean while other times there's oil everywhere. This all leads one to believe that jeep's new o-rings above may be jeeps simple or a temp fix to a larger main concern.

Registered
Discussion Starter #36
New Discovery

We've been sitting here with the engineers at our company during lunch break. I was explaining to them what's been happening to our oil filter assembly/adapter. Then realized myself what's been happening. The issue is, when you stomp on the gas as to accelerate into traffic, this sends a massive amount oil under pressure into the oil filter assembly, which is not designed to handle this quick large amount of oil at one time and even though the assembly is securely attached to the engine block the o-ring or rings can not withstand this large amount of force at one time. Thus the o-rings are dislodged from the seats causing the ruptured seals. So until jeep realizes this faulty design, the system will not be able to withstand these types of forces during a deliberate forced acceleration and will continue to fail until this system has been redesigned.

Registered
2005 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Quadra-Drive II
Members, Just as an informational "FYI" on these plastic filter housing assemblies in general.

Audi has been dealing with this same type of issue with its plastic filter assembly on 2.0 FSI and 3.2L engines for years. In fact, I need to replace one on my 2006 A4 2.0L FSI right now, (just received the parts yesterday). The general issue is that the O-ring gasket gives way either due to the combination of age and pressure But in most cases, the housing itself warps slightly over time from heat and pressure causing either the O-ring against the engine block or the O-ring seal to the oil cooler to lose its compression and leak. In my case on this Audi engine, I believe it is the seal against the oil cooler because it started out as an oil leak that got worst quickly, (the oil coming out is under pressure, not a gravity-type leak). I am also now seeing/losing coolant on the garage floor as well. The coolant runs through the oil cooler and does not enter from the engine block mounting point. Unfortunately, on this engine, there is so much stuff in the way that I could not even get a good look with my inspection camera, and I really tried.

The reason I shared this with the jeep community here is that the best-recomended repair path for these plastic filter assemblies is to replace the entire housing assembly and not just the O-ring gaskets which can be purchased separately.

P.S. Audi has this same issue with its thermostat housing on this engine. So I am planning to change that out as well proactively because it is in the same area on the engine and most of the expense to the repair is in removing stuff just to get to and remove the filter assembly.

In closing, I agree with Member MOPARADO, that these things are one of the worst ideas that the car companies have gone to try to save a buck! I am very glad my WK does not have this setup.

Registered
So is Jeep covering this issue out
of warranty? Why should I have to spend $200 (the deductable on my extended Jeep warranty) if this is a known problem and keep appears to recognize it?

This has not occurred yet on my 2015 3.6 JG with
50 k miles.
Knock on wood.... My 2014 GC is still tight with over 100,000 on the clock.

Registered
You got that right!(y)
Can't recall how many times the 'suits' deemed a product ready for release when the engineers said its 'not ready'. OVERRULED!!!

Time to market, potential stock boost, 'suit' stock options, quick company money and "you'll fix it by software updates"!
Think uSoft with its perpetual voluminous updates!

Registered
IMO ,

Incorporating a critical, hidden, plastic, engine oil routing component is beyond heinous.

I can't believe any legitimate engine designer would "sign off" on it.

They could have . . .

Made the part out of aluminum, ( or better ).

Incorporated at least a dual o-ring with gasket design on each fluid interconnect.

Included "heat transfer" zones for improved thermal conductivity.

I hope they have a sufficient supply of replacement engines to install at "no charge".

No consumer should be held financially responsible for this design defect.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts