Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2005 WK
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to look for a newer WK. Possibly in the '11-'12 range. My 05 WK Limited is starting to get some high miles on it and it would be nice to switch to something that is a little more fuel efficient and something that is newer. Without getting into finances too much, I have around 110K miles on my 05 Limited, and still owe a little bit of money on it.

My question is.....what are some of the best prices around for 11-12 WK2's? And is there really a big difference between the V6 and V8 power wise? I'm used to driving a V8 and love the power that is affords, but would like something that is a little more fuel efficient without losing some of the power.

I am not really looking to go out and purchase a newer vehicle this minute, just tossing some ideas around and had some questions. I figured that this would be the best place to start, and any input would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
1,511 Posts
You really have to drive one to realize the difference between the two. The pentastar V6 is smooth but HWY mpg was only 1-2 mpg better than my Hemi, and it had no getup and go in comparison. I rented a 2011 V6 for a few days, drove it about 500 miles....and couldn't wait to get back to my Hemi.

· Premium Member
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
47,451 Posts
the v^6 paired with the new 8 speed in the 14's is a lot better than the v6 with 5 speed. The hemi is a beast though

· Registered
Altitude
2,779 Posts
go V8... i plan on going with the new Hemi WK2 once i decide to sell or not.

· Registered
2005 WK
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want a limited WK, I am just not too sure about the engine size. I like the power that the V8 gives, but I would really like the fuel efficiency that the V6 provides. I don't drive a whole lot, but any fuel I can save is more money in my pocket. Decisions decisions......

· Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
324 Posts
If fuel economy is your first priority and power is secondary, consider this. Around town in stop and go driving my 2008 wk with hemi gets 12 mpg. I test drove a 2011 with the V6 pentstar and it had 17 mpg on the CID, also all stop and go from people like us test driving it. The Hemi produces a broad powerband across the whole rpm range. The pentastar produces it's power when you go over 4k rpms. The pentastar is a fine motor, but the GC is a large beast. My friend has one and does lots of freeway miles and averages in the mid 20's. The most I ever got out of my Hemi was 19 mpg. Advertised mileage vs. real world can vary widely, especially if you have a lead foot.

The best advice I can give is forget the numbers for a moment go test drive both. I can't count how many cars that I have driven that looked good on paper that I did not like in real life, nor how many cars I took a chance on and discovered I really liked. They day I bought my wk1 I was actually looking for a trailblazer SS.

· Registered
2005 WK
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the help. I'll have to just go out and test drive them to see what is going to work best for me. Like I said, I have to pay mine down a little and it's going to be a little while before I am in the market for one.

I also have to get mine fixed after a small run-in with my girlfriend's vehicle while backing out of the driveway! Grr.....

· Lifer: Old Geezer
Overland
4,607 Posts
You really have to drive one to realize the difference between the two. The pentastar V6 is smooth but HWY mpg was only 1-2 mpg better than my Hemi, and it had no getup and go in comparison. I rented a 2011 V6 for a few days, drove it about 500 miles....and couldn't wait to get back to my Hemi.
I rented a 2011 V6 for a few days and couldn't wait to get back into my older 4.0 6 banger '95 ZJ.

I hesitate to use the term gutless but thats a pretty heavy vehicle for the older V6 and they also have been having some serious reliability issues so watch out for used ones under market.

I wonder how much the early intro of the 2014 with the 8 speed has chewed into the price of used Hemis?

· Lifer: Old Geezer
Overland
4,607 Posts
Thanks for all of the help. I'll have to just go out and test drive them to see what is going to work best for me. Like I said, I have to pay mine down a little and it's going to be a little while before I am in the market for one.

I also have to get mine fixed after a small run-in with my girlfriend's vehicle while backing out of the driveway! Grr.....
Save up your pennies for the 2014+ Hemi.
You can get it with backup camera and radar for whats behind your backside.

... probably works better than planting C4 in the GFs vehicle. :)

The 8 speed + Hemi can average 19 in city driving if your city has arterials and such where you can cruise at 35-45 much of the time between lights and keep your foot out of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.