Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 WK2 Trailhawk
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some new Cooper AT3 4S tires installed before my Jeep Jamboree trip to Death Valley. Size is 255/70/18. I ran 275/65/18 Duratracs on my 2017 WK2 Trailhawk and they rubbed a bit more then i would have liked and after 15k miles or so started to get louder then I would have liked as well, so this time I went with the Coopers. I'm very happy with them. They are very quiet, seem much much better in the rain and snow then the Kevlars. The Coopers have the snowflake on the mountain symbol so if you live where it snows they may be a good choice. The weight according to Cooper is 42 lbs, and the tread depth is 14/32nds. I thought they did great in some of the more washed out rocky sections of Death Valley as well as really great on the road for the trip which was almost about 2000 miles.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,023 Posts
I have the 3s, one generation earlier, looks almost identical.... ...but in the 265/50/20 OEM size.... ....so the 50% profile stiffens the sidewall quite a bit.....

I like them, but after replacing my shocks with Bilsteins, and the tread life about half way down on the tire, they seemed too harsh and noisey on the road..... ....I lowered tire pressure down to 38/36 F/R and now running 36 F/R, and it seems back to the original characteristics, although a bit noisier than I like on certain highway surfaces.....

I suspect the air pressure difference was really driven by the shocks, worn OEM shocks vs brand new Bilstein, resulted in lower pressure providing a better mix of ride, noise and handling....

So as they wear, about half life they may get a little bit noisier on certain road surfaces, BUT, that also might be myself being a little less patient with tire noise after the glow of new A/T tires wore off......

The only other bad thing I can say about them, about half way through life, they needed re-balancing.... ....this also might be the stick on weights, my first vehicle with stick on balancing weight wheels.... ...as well, it probably isn't the only heavy A/T tire that requires rebalancing as they wear....

Other than that, they have been great tires, haven't really tested them off road, but they haven't disappointed in the mild stuff and snow I have encountered them in..... ...good in snow, but not as good a dedicated snow tire (which is the best you can really hope for)....

My interpolation, I'm going to get at least 60k miles out of them, perhaps 80k miles.....

For others considering, the noise isn't bad if you adjust air pressure as necessary, like any A/T tire, they are going to be noisier than road only tires, and you need to take that into account when purchasing, if you never drive off-road and like a smooth quiet ride, don't buy A/T tires just for the look.....

·
Registered
18 WK2 Trailhawk
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the 3s, one generation earlier, looks almost identical.... ...but in the 265/50/20 OEM size.... ....so the 50% profile stiffens the sidewall quite a bit.....

I like them, but after replacing my shocks with Bilsteins, and the tread life about half way down on the tire, they seemed too harsh and noisey on the road..... ....I lowered tire pressure down to 38/36 F/R and now running 36 F/R, and it seems back to the original characteristics, although a bit noisier than I like on certain highway surfaces.....

I suspect the air pressure difference was really driven by the shocks, worn OEM shocks vs brand new Bilstein, resulted in lower pressure providing a better mix of ride, noise and handling....

So as they wear, about half life they may get a little bit noisier on certain road surfaces, BUT, that also might be myself being a little less patient with tire noise after the glow of new A/T tires wore off......

The only other bad thing I can say about them, about half way through life, they needed re-balancing.... ....this also might be the stick on weights, my first vehicle with stick on balancing weight wheels.... ...as well, it probably isn't the only heavy A/T tire that requires rebalancing as they wear....

Other than that, they have been great tires, haven't really tested them off road, but they haven't disappointed in the mild stuff and snow I have encountered them in..... ...good in snow, but not as good a dedicated snow tire (which is the best you can really hope for)....

My interpolation, I'm going to get at least 60k miles out of them, perhaps 80k miles.....

For others considering, the noise isn't bad if you adjust air pressure as necessary, like any A/T tire, they are going to be noisier than road only tires, and you need to take that into account when purchasing, if you never drive off-road and like a smooth quiet ride, don't buy A/T tires just for the look.....
In my opinion these seem much smoother and a bit quieter then the Kevlars they replaced. The Kevlars had about 16k miles or so on them and they weren't good at all in a decent to heavy rain. They were pretty good when new but wore quickly and didn't perform that well overall. Especially for the price. If i get a good 30-40k out of these I'd be happy, I tend to replace tires at about 7-8/32nds of tread left. Usually at that point the rain and snow performance is lacking and any offroad performance is drastically diminished. The older version was highly rated in a shootout a few years ago in an issue of the Overland Journal.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,270 Posts
Glad to hear you like them. I'm getting a set mounted on my Wrangler tomorrow. I have a set of the AT3s from 2011 on there now and replacing due to age. They have a ton of tread but it's being driven daily so it's time to upgrade.

·
Registered
18 WK2 Trailhawk
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to hear you like them. I'm getting a set mounted on my Wrangler tomorrow. I have a set of the AT3s from 2011 on there now and replacing due to age. They have a ton of tread but it's being driven daily so it's time to upgrade.
Yeah time for a fresh set. I hope you like them as much as I do....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Reading through this as I’m thinking about new tires for my 2019 GC Trailhawk. Numerous mentions about noise, be sure you are rotating regularly to eliminate cupping or chopping which adds a lot of noise to an AT or MT tire. I’ve had numerous 4x4’s over the years with more aggressive tread patterns and rotating every 5000 miles is the easiest to keep track of and adds significant happiness with noise levels. I do my own oils changes and tire rotations and it’s a lot harder doing a 4 wheel rotation than a 5 like I’m used to. Recently purchased a second floor jack so I can lift an entire side at a time to simplify things. Costco has a nice one.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,023 Posts
Cupping is caused by tires bouncing or wobbling, it's usually suspension damage/wear or tires out of balance causing it. Rotating tires will more evenly spread the cupping among the tires, but it's not going to solve it or prevent it....

For those that don't know, you really should have Jack Stands to support a raised vehicle... ....if you're rotating tires and are careful not to get underneath the vehicle or put your arms in some where, then doing it with just the floor jack is ok.... ...never get under a vehicle with just a jack supporting, you have to have a jack stand under it, people have and will continue to die this way.....

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,270 Posts
Have a whopping 30 miles on the tires. Interesting to see the updates to basically the same tire over the years. Hopefully they do well this winter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cupping is caused by tires bouncing or wobbling, it's usually suspension damage/wear or tires out of balance causing it. Rotating tires will more evenly spread the cupping among the tires, but it's not going to solve it or prevent it....

For those that don't know, you really should have Jack Stands to support a raised vehicle... ....if you're rotating tires and are careful not to get underneath the vehicle or put your arms in some where, then doing it with just the floor jack is ok.... ...never get under a vehicle with just a jack supporting, you have to have a jack stand under it, people have and will continue to die this way.....
Feathering might be the term I meant to use in my earlier reply. When the individual tread areas are higher or lower than the adjacent one in front of it or behind it. Happens on the front tires when they aren’t rotated enough and makes the tires noisy, especially mud terrain tires.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,023 Posts
Feathering might be the term I meant to use in my earlier reply. When the individual tread areas are higher or lower than the adjacent one in front of it or behind it. Happens on the front tires when they aren’t rotated enough and makes the tires noisy, especially mud terrain tires.
Feathering is often confused with cupping, but it's the result of Toe-In/Out....
But yes, I agree, some vehicles, even properly aligned could get feathering on the tires, and the steering wheels can be worse than the rear.... ...so yes, rotating them can stave off the noise from feathering.....

Different tire designs are going to be noisier or quietier, yes wear can change that, but you need to pick a tire for your needs and wants, you want quiet smooth tires and don't do off-road do NOT get an A/T tire.... .....rotating them regularly will prevent them from getting excessively loud, but that's not going to make them quieter than they were new or like an on-road tire....

·
Registered
2015 GC High Alt.
91 Posts
Just wanted to paste my review here of these AT3 4S's from the Tire Buyer website I bought them from. I'm very disappointed and will not be buying again. Let me know if there are any questions about them.

I purchased this tire and had them installed on a 2015 Grand Cherokee stock rim/tire size. My vehicle had 35,143 miles on it. They are quiet, grip very well in snow/wet/dry. I bought them because of the Severe Snow Rating and did not disappoint.

My issue is the Tread Life. I have just over 62,000 miles on my vehicle now. That is about 27,000 miles on this tire with half highway/half back road driving. My current tread measurement is 5/32. They come new with 12/32 and they are not usable at 2/32. If you do the math, I have about 12,000 miles left before they need to be replaced. My total mileage at that point would be 39,000 miles. Their tread life warranty is 65,000 miles so I only would get 2/3rds of that.

This is where their warranty is horrible. You need to read the fine print. It says that tires need to be rotated every 8,000 miles and your service technician needs to sign and date the Cooper handbook you provide when the rotation takes place. First, I never knew their was a handbook for them to sign. More importantly, most newer vehicles have oil life indicators. Almost all new vehicles and their oil life indicators (like mine) will recommend an oil change every 10,000 miles or 12 months. I religiously have my oil changes between 9-10,000 miles. Guess what? I am past their 8,000 mile tire rotation. My tires have worn evenly and I have exactly 5/32 on every tire. It's a shame and I will not be buying Coopers again.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,270 Posts
I personally look at the tire warranties as a marketing joke. I assume I’ll get 3-4 years out of the set and replace due to age or wear and that is life. I’m more worried about how well they grip.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,023 Posts
All I can tell you is that I'm on track to getting 60k miles out of my Cooper Discoverer AT/3 3's (I got the last of the previous generation of the same tire).

We had same reports on the OEM Goodyear Fortera tires, most getting 80k miles out of the tread, with a few reporting they only 30k miles........

So I'm wondering is it the tires, or is it the vehicles, some WK2's wear their tires faster? Or some combinations of some WK2's and certain tires cause faster wear?

Its a heavy vehicle, so you can't rule out alignment knocked out of alignment or aggressive driving would cut a tires life in half........

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,270 Posts
I'm sure driving style and type of drive factor a lot into tread wear. Spending all day on the interstate will wear less than constant stop and go or lots of curved roads, hills with acceleration and braking. I only put a couple thousand miles on my Forterras before tossing them around 32-33k miles deeming them rubbish.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,023 Posts
I'm thinking hard acceleration and braking with the weight of the WK2 and torque of all the engine options, in the stop and go city/town environment, could easily cut the life of a tire in half as compared to more mild driving habits......

·
Registered
2015 GC High Alt.
91 Posts
My back roads are curved and I'm sure my speed along those curves should be slower. I will go through the summer with these and replace them in the fall. Thinking of getting the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W, at least right now I'm leaning towards that tire. Possibly will be louder but do have the Severe Snow symbol and tread depth is 13/32.

Anyone have experience with these?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts