Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2000 GC Ltd 4.7 V8
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided I'm going to install a catch on my WJ. Question is, how do you install it?

I'm presuming it will basically replace the PCV valve i.e. it attaches to the oil filler tube and oil line. I'm also guessing I'd have to fab some kind of mount for it too.

Also, are there any reasons I shouldn't install one?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2009 Jeep SRT8
1,092 Posts
I've decided I'm going to install a catch on my WJ. Question is, how do you install it?

I'm presuming it will basically replace the PCV valve i.e. it attaches to the oil filler tube and oil line. I'm also guessing I'd have to fab some kind of mount for it too.

Also, are there any reasons I shouldn't install one?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

On the SRT, it doesn't replace the PCV valve. It actually installs in place of the stock hose connected to it on the intake manifold. So you go from HOSE->PCV to HOSE-CatchCan-HOSE->PCV.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
2000 GC Ltd 4.7 V8
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I think I follow what you're saying. Sounds straight forward enough.

·
Registered
2000 GC Ltd 4.7 V8
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm sure I read somewhere that you could do it on a 4.0, but I'll double check it first

But I did find this....

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/Catch_can.html

I have no idea if this works. But when I first saw it I was like :confused: a soup can?!?

·
Registered
2000 GC Ltd 4.7 V8
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry man, it was all I could find. Nothing wrong with a bit of hobo chique:lol:.

I've seen universal catch cans before, so I'm fairly sure you should be able to install one on pretty much any engine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
A Catch can is a must for any vehicle IMO.

·
Registered
2000 GC Ltd 4.7 V8
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm beginning to think the same. After doing some reading on this, I've decided it's definately the way to go.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
on my 2001 5.9L durango, I installed a FRAM clear plastic fuel filter as a "catch can", the G2 model I think. Its cheap ($5?), disposable and you can see when its time to replace it and no special mounting required, just install it in the line after the PCV fitting, takes about 15 minutes for first time install, 5 minutes after that to replace the filter once a year and looks completely stock. :)

I used this setup for years without any problems.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
What exactly does a catch can do?
it filters out the oil from the oil vapour coming out of the pcv valve. that way only air goes into the intake manifold. the oil would normally end up in your intake manifold and make a mess of the intake and valves.

·
Registered
2003 Grand Cherokee
650 Posts
it filters out the oil from the oil vapour coming out of the pcv valve. that way only air goes into the intake manifold. the oil would normally end up in your intake manifold and make a mess of the intake and valves.
mmm, sludge.

·
Registered
581 Posts
So again am I missing something? Do they make ones for my Jeep? I don't want to ghetto rig one, rather just buy a nice one for it...
Can someone link me to a universal one that will work?
99 WJ 4.0L

·
Registered
2000 GC Ltd 4.7 V8
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
There's loads of universal ones on ebay. This is the one I'm looking at, mostly cause I think it looks cool:D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stainless-Steel-Oil-Catch-Tank-Reservoir-Can-Upgrade-/270342357812?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3ef1a90334

Plan to buy it in a couple of weeks. It seems that in general, cans are not made for any specific vehicle. It's more down to what one will fit in your engine bay. I've got an XJ with a 4.0 I6 in it. When I buy the can I'll install it in that and let you know if there's any probs.

·
The beast from Brazil
8,285 Posts
Looking into the WJ service manual i see the PCV valve, but also 2 PCV breathers on top of the cylinder head covers. The 2 breathers are connected to the inlet on the air resonator box, but i don't see the connection with the PCV valve hose. (it probably is there, i only don't see it). So if you want to catch all oil vapors, the catch can should be close to the air resonator box inlet, right?
What is in fact the function of the PCV valve, when the breathers are connected directly to the resonator box?

·
Registered
2000 GC Ltd 4.7 V8
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
You got me there dude! I've never noticed the breathers on the cylinder head cover, mind you I've never looked for them. From memory, the valve hose does seem to disappear towards the firewall.

·
The beast from Brazil
8,285 Posts
Just had a look to the hose going from the PCV valve towards the firewall and with an inspection mirror i saw the hose going into the inlet plenum, below the throttle body. The 2 breathers on top of the valve covers go jointly to the resonator box and cause the throttle body oil contamination. Anyone knows what is the reason of this setup and how it works:confused: Why is there the PCV valve on 1 side and apparently no valve at all on the side of the breathers on top of the valve covers:confused:

·
Registered
2001 Jeep WJ Limited
83 Posts
Has anyone put a catch can on a 01 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 how do u install it anybody have step by step installation with pics would be perfect

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
so can this be done to my 2007 jeep grand cherokee

1 - 20 of 22 Posts