Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, i'm currently in the middle of removing the intake manifold on my Jeep, as i removed the EGR and found the inside of the manifold completely fouled up with oily sooty sludge, so definitely needs a clean!!!

Anyway, i've got everything loose and i can't get the thing out. Anyone done it yet, or have the workshop manual to show how to do it? It seems to be fouling on the turbo and the thermostat housing. Both of which seem to be pretty impossible to remove!!!

Any help?!?!?!?

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm not sure I would bother. There was a guy big in the RAM forums who tried doing this and when he got it off, he could barely get any of the carbon it because it had solidified so much.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too late, everything is loose, so i'm at a point where i'm not going to turn back.
The stuff in mine hasn't solidified yet. It's like a sludge that wipes off with a rag, but i can't reach inside enough to clean it so i need to take it off to do it properly. I'd rather clean it now whilst it hasn't solidified yet!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Are you running a tune to prevent the sludge from building back up?

If I were to go through the trouble of removing the intake manifold I'd look at installing the Banks unit.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, i'm doing an EGR delete, a Celtic Tuning remap, and fitting a catch can. That should prevent any more sludge building up for a very long time!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still working on it. It's VERY involved. Short of it is, you have to remove the rear cowl extension, HVAC inlet, alternator, EGR, wiring harness, left and right exhaust manifolds, and turbo!
Tomorrow i'll be removing the exhaust manifolds and the turbo, and then the inlet manifold should come straight off.
It's a real PITA!!!!

·
Registered
647 Posts
I thought you had to remove the engine to pull the turbo..?

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cheroker Overland ATG ORAII
1,402 Posts
As far as cleaning goes, did you consider trying a BG Intake cleaning service?
Has anyone used a BG service on their ED engine on the forum?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I've looked into it and while there are many BG dealers locally (Like 6 !), NONE of them offer this service... It must not be popular or easy or profitable or some thing.. I'd give it a try if it wasn't screaming expensive, but they better know what they are doing !

·
Registered
JGC Overland
326 Posts
Back in my BMW Twin-Turbo owning days, carbon buildup on the intake was a common problem best solved by walnut-shell blasting. This was done to remove buidup inside the intakes at the valves. It worked wonders.

I wonder if this would be an appropriate solution?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought you had to remove the engine to pull the turbo..?
Nah, removing the engine isn't necessary. Once you remove the exhaust manifolds, the turbo comes out easily. Everything has to happen in the right sequence though!

1. Drain oil and coolant
2. Remove all air inlet hoses and radiator hoses
3. Remove air box and throttle body
4. Remove serpentine belt
5. Remove alternator and alternator support bracket
6. Remove EGR to inlet pipe, turbo to EGR pipe, EGR coolant lines, and EGR cooler
7. Loosen A/C compressor and pull to one side (don't disconnect hoses), and remove A/C compressor support bracket
8. Remove oil cooler assembly (not just the cooler, but the cooler and filter assembly)
9. Remove exhaust manifold heat shields and manifolds
10. Remove turbo
11. Remove high pressure pump fuel line and crossover fuel line
12. Remove wiring harness
13. Remove intake manifold

That's the simple run down. There are a few small steps in between, but that the bulk of the job.

I only took this picture whilst doing the work, but i'll take another few tomorrow of all the parts off the engine. I've already got the intake manifold and wiring harness back on but you'll get an idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
13 Posts
Took all the necessary components off and I still can't remove the manifold. There must be a bolt in the very back of the manifold. But I really wanted to take it off cause I can feel all that built up soot in there. Maybe 1/4" thick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
can anyone help, i cant seem to figure out how to remove the high pressure fuel line and the crossover fuel line, taking about the 2 lines on top that look like the have push to connect fittings

1 - 15 of 15 Posts