Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this is my first car and i got a 1999 Cherokee Sport and i bought a new radio and when i first wired it i didnt have dash lights wenever i turned the light knob the interior lights turned on and wen i tried to fix it i think i messed it up so bad now the whole dash wont move and none of the lights will turn on. If you could plz help me i would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Congrats on the 1999, its one of the most sought after XJs.

Disconnect the radio with all power off and check the fuses.
If they're all good, could be a wiring problem.
Make sure the chassis of the new radio is grounded to metal somewhere under the dash.
How did you wire up the new radio, spliced factory wires or an after market connector adapters?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats on the 1999, its one of the most sought after XJs.

Disconnect the radio with all power off and check the fuses.
If they're all good, could be a wiring problem.
Make sure the chassis of the new radio is grounded to metal somewhere under the dash.
How did you wire up the new radio, spliced factory wires or an after market connector adapters?

i used after market connecters but ya im pretty sure i have a bad ground somewhere thank you for the help.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
If the fuses are still good, i'd totally disconnect the new radio and put everything back the way you found it before wiring up the radio.
Then see what happens.

If none of the interior lights and the instrument panel are not working that sure sounds like a blown fuse or possibly a disconnected ground wire.

The instrument panel gauges are digitally energized by the CPM via the serial data bus.
The CPM needs an instrument cluster termination ground in addition to power for the cluster to work properly.
But that doesn't seem to explain why the interior lighting isn't working.

Are you sure you tested all the fuses both inside the cabin and in the engine compartment?

I'd like to post the fuse diagrams but being new i don't think i can yet.
Some fuses to check first located inside the cabin at the passenger kick panel:
Fuse #9 instrument cluster. 10 amp fuse.
Fuse #6 instrument/switches illumination. 5A
Also check fuses #1 to 5 which power the headlight, power outlet and cigar lighter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the fuses are still good, i'd totally disconnect the new radio and put everything back the way you found it before wiring up the radio.
Then see what happens.

If none of the interior lights and the instrument panel are not working that sure sounds like a blown fuse or possibly a disconnected ground wire.

The instrument panel gauges are digitally energized by the CPM via the serial data bus.
The CPM needs an instrument cluster termination ground in addition to power for the cluster to work properly.
But that doesn't seem to explain why the interior lighting isn't working.

Are you sure you tested all the fuses both inside the cabin and in the engine compartment?

I'd like to post the fuse diagrams but being new i don't think i can yet.
Some fuses to check first located inside the cabin at the passenger kick panel:
Fuse #9 instrument cluster. 10 amp fuse.
Fuse #6 instrument/switches illumination. 5A
Also check fuses #1 to 5 which power the headlight, power outlet and cigar lighter.

thank you very much for the help it turns out it was a blown fuse i guess i nvr fully checked the fuse panel in the engine bay it was a 15 amp blue fuse that was blown and everything is working perfectly fine except now the check engine light is on and wen i plugged in my code reader no codes came up so im wondering if it just needs to reset?

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Great!! Always good to hear about a problem fixed.

I'd try this first before trying to reset the CPM if you have a decent scanner.
If the problem is fixed that generated the CEL as could be in your case, normally using a good CEL scanner can clear that CEL fault.
Some cheap scanners do not have the capability to clear faults and most Auto stores will only read fault codes and per store policy, they will not clear them.

There's a few ways to reset the CPM.
1. The easiest way is to disconnect the (-) battery terminal and let the vehicle sit like that for a while, like an hour or so. I usually let it sit overnight.

2. Depending on the CEL fault, the CEL will reset itself after a bunch of engine start/stop driving cycles.
However, Most CEL faults are deemed serious enough by the CPM that the CEL will stay lit until the fault is fixed and the CPM fault code is cleared.

3. As a last resort, if those don't work, disconnect both the (+) and (-) battery clamps and completely remove them from the battery posts.....making sure both clamps are NOT touching any of the battery posts-IMPORTANT.
Then touch both clamps together firmly for 10 to fifteen minutes.
This will drain any residual memory voltage totally resetting the CPM.
Be very careful if you try this.

Remember once the CPM is reset, the vehicle might not drive normally as before.
The CPM has to re-learn the owner's driving style all over again.
Again this re-learning process could also take a bunch of driving cycles.
Having said this, i reset my XJ's CPM a couple times and did not notice any drastic driveability changes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts