Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my iPhone 4S this weekend. Siri is really cool and works better than expected. Apple really does a great job with QA before releasing to the public. I was wondering the whole time if it would be available through the bluetooth in the car, so on the way home today I tried it out.

I am pleased to say it works through the bluetooth, well with the 730N anyways. As soon as you hit the home button Siri comes through the car speakers and will dial, talk, text, read text messages and email........I can just scrape the Uconnect now all together. The only thing you can't do it activate Siri from the steering wheel button and it shows on the screen as if you are calling voicemail, but it WORKS!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Siri works so much better than Uconnect. It is so much easier to make a call than having to confirm 3 times that you want to call that person.

Also sending emails while driving is awesome.

·
Premium Member
2011 WK2 Overland
596 Posts
so you can use the mic in the cabin instead of the phone's mic? btw, where is the mic in the cabin anyway?

·
Imported From Detroit
2015 Summit
475 Posts
Only issue I have with Siri is the Headunit treats it like a phone call and makes the sound notifying my phone call is ended every time Siri is done.

·
Imported From Detroit
2015 Summit
475 Posts
Is that a problem or just an annoyance for you?
An annoyance I'm sure for not just me, I don't understand why the unit is not customizable so it doesn't have to make any sounds or say anything, for example:
"(Name of your phone) is connected"
"Phone call, press UConnect phone button to answer"
"Phone call completed"
Not to mention the annoying sounds.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine is the RHR it is using the mic built into the car and not the phone. Mine also treats the conversation like a phone call (actually a VM call is what is shown on the screen). That doesn't bother me so much, since it out ways it not working all together.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
i assume the sms messages feature on u-connect doesnt play nice with the Iphone4s...will siri read out texts over the stereo speakers?

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
i assume the sms messages feature on u-connect doesnt play nice with the Iphone4s...will siri read out texts over the stereo speakers?
Siri reads texts over my 730N RHR stereo speakers. It also takes dictation, meaning I can send a text by talking into the car's microphone.

Once I hold the "Home" button on the 4S, it activates the bluetooth connection on UConnect and shows up as a "Voicemail" call on the 730 display.

After the initial Siri activation, there is almost no reason to touch the iPhone or talk to it, everything is done via the Jeep's speakers and microphone. You can read and send texts, you can dictate a note, etc.

It is a great leap forward, IMO! When finished, just press the phone button on the steering wheel to deactivate the Siri connection.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Siri reads texts over my 730N RHR stereo speakers. It also takes dictation, meaning I can send a text by talking into the car's microphone.

Once I hold the "Home" button on the 4S, it activates the bluetooth connection on UConnect and shows up as a "Voicemail" call on the 730 display.

After the initial Siri activation, there is almost no reason to touch the iPhone or talk to it, everything is done via the Jeep's speakers and microphone. You can read and send texts, you can dictate a note, etc.

It is a great leap forward, IMO! When finished, just press the phone button on the steering wheel to deactivate the Siri connection.
Will you be giving instruction on this when my 4s arrives?:)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts