Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1,201 - 1,220 of 1,243 Posts
So unfortunately I haven't had time to read all 101 pages but understand how the DPF works as I promptly removed my from my pathfinder the day I got it. Has there been any change to this on the MY15 models? Does anybody know?

Hi GCDingo.

Yes, the fix seems to have been made in the Dec14 update. I haven't heard of any issues since owners have had that update applied. I don't know of anyone doing dpf delete yet.

Hi All,

Bought myself a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and am experience the same problems as most on this post with limp mode without prior warning or worse still, after reading the message to drive at highway speeds and actually being on the highway.

I have read there are fixes where you can see the % full of the DPF. Is this a Jeep fix or someone alot smarter than Jeep? (not hard)

I am booked in for the Tribunal tomorrow, would love a response tonight

Thanks

Just to get back to the DPF problem or fix. After two limp modes in a 4 month old GC without warning had the December update 18-044-15 loaded in February. Got myself an OBD2 and using The Torque App have been able to keep an eye on the regen. (Thanks to Steve1307 for the advice and custom PID's).

Can confirm once over 65% and doing 90k's a regen starts and takes about 10 minutes to get back to 8%. This I have been able to see and control some what numerous times.

Lately I have deliberately avoided high speeds and only doing short drives (<8k's) when over 60% and last night when in peak hour traffic and the DPF showing 71.8% the regen started, speed at the time was about 60kph. Continued driving for less then 10 minutes in stop start traffic till I got home and regen was still occuring and turned off motor part way through regen to see what reading would be in the morning. Started car this morning and DPF show 11.8%. This has increased my confidence that the DPF problem is on the mend.

Will continue monitor the regen process.
57Grumpie....excuse my ignorane. What is an OBD2?

Romulus, The ability to see the DPF % is not available from Jeep. What the guys are doing is adding a code reader, also known as a scan tool, which connects to the car's diagnostic computer port (OBD2).

57Grumpie....excuse my ignorane. What is an OBD2?
Romulus.

I am guessing you are a trekie.

OBD stands for On Board Diagnostics. The 2 is for version/type/edition 2. A bit like USB2 for example.

First questions. Did you buy it new or not? There are fixes for this issue via Jeep ( I've had the problem and the fix - all seems well now - finger crossed!!).

To use the OBD2 port you will need a dongle and an tablet/IPAD. I use a Samsung tablet with "torque" to monitor mine periodically. The dongle I have is a real cheapy (there are much more expensive versions) that cost me about $8 of fleabay. Have a look at these things. Mini ELM327 OBD2 II Bluetooth Diagnostic CAR Auto Interface Scanner IN | eBay

It does cause me some management system glitches if I forget to unplug it or turn of torque after stopping and only plug in or start torque after starting, otherwise it gets really upset and all sorts of bells and whistles go off, plus the engine management system light comes on!! Bloody annoying, but I will buy cheap shit.

As long as I remember to do the above it's fine and I get all the readings I want courtesy of standard options and a custom PID (setting) from Steve on this thread.

Regards

Adrian

I've owned my 2014 Jeep for nearly 2 1/2 years now - time flys. Had quite a few niggling problems in the early days, the main one being DPF frustrations which after 8 months of regular limp moding, Jeep replaced the entire DPF unit.

Anyway, over the past 18 months the Jeep has been trouble free and everything works as it should. One thing that is always in the back of my mind is the DPF. Although it has been 18 months and 20k kms since the unit was replaced, I have not once seen the DPF regeneration message, nor have observed any obvious burn-off such as change in engine note, increase in instaneous fuel consumption etc. Should I be worried?

Yep, you shouldn't notice it, although I sometimes can smell it after I stop the car and get out.

Reactions: chooke
Romulus, The ability to see the DPF % is not available from Jeep. What the guys are doing is adding a code reader, also known as a scan tool, which connects to the car's diagnostic computer port (OBD2).
THE OBDII is a 16 Pin connector to the vehicles Electrical system.

Here's where the OBDII is on your Cherokee. This is a pic I took programming a prox fob into a JGC.

Attachments

I do an average of 25kph most tanks so it's always doing a DPF burn in traffic or stopped at the lights, there's no messages or indication, if I stop in the middle of it in a garage I can detect a very faint smell similar to brake pad burn smell.

Hi All,

Bought myself a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and am experience the same problems as most on this post with limp mode without prior warning or worse still, after reading the message to drive at highway speeds and actually being on the highway.

I have read there are fixes where you can see the % full of the DPF. Is this a Jeep fix or someone alot smarter than Jeep? (not hard)

I am booked in for the Tribunal tomorrow, would love a response tonight

Thanks
The main thing you need to know is that there was a fix that came out in December 2014. You should get your dealer to apply that. I haven't had this problem since it was applied.

You should print out the attached TSB and give it to the dealer. Some of them are a bit slow.

The main thing you need to know is that there was a fix that came out in December 2014. You should get your dealer to apply that. I haven't had this problem since it was applied.

You should print out the attached TSB and give it to the dealer. Some of them are a bit slow.
Yep, but if that fix has been applied and the issue still occurs, there may be a physical blockage in the filter, or a bad sensor. If they have applied the update and this has happened multiple times since, they should be replacing the dpf.

I've owned my 2014 Jeep for nearly 2 1/2 years now - time flys. Had quite a few niggling problems in the early days, the main one being DPF frustrations which after 8 months of regular limp moding, Jeep replaced the entire DPF unit.

Anyway, over the past 18 months the Jeep has been trouble free and everything works as it should. One thing that is always in the back of my mind is the DPF. Although it has been 18 months and 20k kms since the unit was replaced, I have not once seen the DPF regeneration message, nor have observed any obvious burn-off such as change in engine note, increase in instaneous fuel consumption etc. Should I be worried?

Mine is almost 15 months 28000k I have never see the regen message and if it does a long trip regularly u might not.

Hutch- 2014 GC Blackhawk CRD...Feel the Power...

Well I am disappointed in myself too much slow poking around, first regen in 32k, kicked in and done what it should. Looks like it must be time for a road trip though...

Hutch- 2014 GC Blackhawk CRD...Feel the Power...

first regen in 32k
It will have done regens before, this will be the first one where filter levels got to 80% and told you to keep driving so it could perform one. I've had dpf levels sitting around 60%, but then jump up to 80% after giving it a bit of stick.

1,201 - 1,220 of 1,243 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.