Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying I definitely need to upgrade and definitely want a 2018+ WK2 asap.

I think most brands and models generally upon release always have bugs or issues that need to be fixed within the 1-3 years of the initial release.

The WK2 didn't really become beloved until the major revamps 3+ years into the WK2 cycle. There were major issues I think we can all recall that are not papered over in the refined vehicle we see now.

Do you think this will be the same with the new Grand Cherokee? Do you think they will NAIL it on the first try or will I just be waiting for another 2-3 years for Jeep to fix issues that the version 1.0 may introduce?

·
Super Moderator
8,616 Posts
Either way is valid...it's a subjective thing. Some folks don't prefer "first model years" for a new platform and some folks don't care. I'm going to guess that the MY21 WL may be delayed a little further due to the pandemic having things shut down relative to getting the production facilities completed (a new plant next to the existing one is involved here) so timing may also be of consideration to you. But you never know. On the other hand, the one plant that spits out 800+ JGCs a day is still shuttered and not producing vehicles, so you're also at the mercy of available inventory...enjoy the hunt!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Either way is valid...it's a subjective thing. Some folks don't prefer "first model years" for a new platform and some folks don't care. I'm going to guess that the MY21 WL may be delayed a little further due to the pandemic having things shut down relative to getting the production facilities completed (a new plant next to the existing one is involved here) so timing may also be of consideration to you. But you never know. On the other hand, the one plant that spits out 800+ JGCs a day is still shuttered and not producing vehicles, so you're also at the mercy of available inventory...enjoy the hunt!
I mean what else do we know outside of the minuscule amount thats been released? A lot of people have even said 2022 at this rate.

·
Super Moderator
8,616 Posts
I mean what else do we know outside of the minuscule amount thats been released? A lot of people have even said 2022 at this rate.
There is no way to know more than has been released. This forum site has several true insiders that get us information as early as possible. But the global pandemic is clearly going to have some impact on auto manufacturers and their plans for new products, FCA, included.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2012 had half a dozen recalls. Big deal. I’ve incurred very little out of pocket expenses in over 150,000 miles and have enjoyed every mile of ownership.
Ive had a few more issues with my 2012, but all in all nothing outrageous. Still debating whether i want to trade it in next year for a new jeep or ram 1500. The fact that my jeep is in great condition and paid off is whats stopping me. On the other hand the extended warranty is expiring next year...

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you wait you most likely want get a vehicle without bugs. You’re going to be there test-dummy. Knowing how bad FCA customer service is through actual experience, they’re going to ignore you like Covid-19 and you’ll be stuck with dealing with the dealer’s service department on your own.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What do we know about the 2021 GC? Chasis will be Alfa Romeo, not Mercedes. Is this an improvement or a convenience for the manufacturer. Will it improve ride? Handling? Comfort?
This Jeep is considered a mid size and prefect for my use. Now it looks like they are enlarging the 2021 to accommodate a third seat row. Will it still be considered mid size?

Hope they don't screw it up. That same body style has been here for 10 plus years. Obviously we like it. How about pricing? Any word on that? Looks like a top model will be $60-65 plus.

·
Super Moderator
8,616 Posts
What do we know about the 2021 GC? Chasis will be Alfa Romeo, not Mercedes. Is this an improvement or a convenience for the manufacturer. Will it improve ride? Handling? Comfort?
This Jeep is considered a mid size and prefect for my use. Now it looks like they are enlarging the 2021 to accommodate a third seat row. Will it still be considered mid size?
Please visit and monitor our WL discussion area to keep up on information about the next generation as it becomes available. The WL will be manufactured in both a 2-row and a 3-row. And yes, both versions are mid-sized vehicles. The platform (which is a manufacturing plan/design is indeed based on Alfa but it's designed and and scaled specifically for the JGC WL. It indeed should ride and handle better than the more than 15 year old Daimler design that the current generation is built on because of generational refinements.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did not need to upgrade my SUV, it was still relatively new, but I wanted WK2 just because it was last model year, and debugged platform.
Considering how much problems Giulia has and WL is going to use this platform, I don't want to deal with this. If my 2020 Trailhawk will eventually require replacement I will re-evaluate WL few years down the line.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts