Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Overland
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is traffic provided by HK or satellite radio?

If XM, will probably be the only reason I continue my subscription.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I am driving using the nav, I get rerouted a lot (East coast), it says because of traffic. Based on the radio reports, I think it is.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,884 Posts
It worked for me on a recent trip to Long Island. I got across Staten Island, coming and going, without hitting any real traffic problems. For those that know the area, that's a small miracle. It did direct me down some funky back roads, but it worked.!

---

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have often gotten the message "Rerouting to avoid traffic congestion ahead" on a frequently traveled route yet the route doesn't vary and I run into the congestion. :mad: Glad it works for y'all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can also add that when we were flooded today in Chicago, it no idea almost all roads were closed EW at the river. River is cresting at near record levels, and the 10 mile drive was 2 hours.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hijacking an old thread.

I recently purchased an Overland (used). While using the navigation to get home it said something along the lines of "heavy traffic - recalculating" and it picked another route. I didn't follow the recalculation and continued upon my normal route where I ran into traffic.

I find this interesting because I don't have a Sirius radio subscription (purchased used car). Google has only turned up results of people complaining about the system not working well; but I can't find anyone addressing if the system works without a Sirius subscription. I doubt it connects to our phones and uses an internet connection. (my phone was paired)

OR....the only other explanation is the navigation rerouted and I misunderstood the navigation lady and she never mentioned anything about traffic.

·
Super Moderator
10,662 Posts
Sirius occasionally turns the service back on for two week or so intervals at which time you'll get those kind of notifications when you're using the NAV to route you. You'll also probably notice traffic indicators on your route screen..."green" highlighting for "full speed ahead", "yellow" for slowing congestion and "red" for heavy, heavy congestion or full stop. Mine is on right now...it will disappear in a few days based on the calendar as I never renewed after the free first year subscription expired.

They also tend to send out a note via the US Postal Service saying how nice they are for turning it back on for a bit, but since the don't know you are the owner of the previously owned vehicle, you will not see those offers to subscribe for real.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It appears they turned my subscription on for a little while. We experienced a thunderstorm and received an alert with weather on the navigation.

Interesting feature but I use my phone so I doubt it is worth it.

·
Registered
2014 Overland
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can subscribe to traffic only.
After using real-time traffic applications like Google maps and Waze, XM traffic is useless.

Thought it was a cool feature at first, but quickly became obvious how inferior it was compared to the above.

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy STIEVO
2,195 Posts
but I think it is infinitely safer to use the big screen and a navi that routes you automatically around traffic rather than you holding your phone and checking traffic while driving....or having another attachment in the car that can become loose and fly off when you brake

·
Registered
2014 Overland
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
but I think it is infinitely safer to use the big screen and a navi that routes you automatically around traffic rather than you holding your phone and checking traffic while driving....or having another attachment in the car that can become loose and fly off when you brake
Yes and no. Eyes off the road is eyes off the road. Also, Waze/Google maps can talk to you. Mine stays in my cup holder. In plain sight... Not too different and I feel no less safe. To each their own... Waste of money in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2019 GC Summit
74 Posts
That would explain why I started receiving traffic on the nav all of a sudden. I did not receive that email from XM abut it being free till June 4th.

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just returned from a road trip to/from VA from GA. On the return trip, I was on I-85 and using both the navigation system in the Jeep and also Waze on my phone. At one point, both systems re-routed me on/off I-85 for about a 6-7 mile stretch. No notice appeared on UConnect, but I was able to click on the hazard icon on Waze and find out that a car was on fire on the shoulder.

I have an XM subscription; however, at my renewal, I specifically deleted traffic and weather, as I consider them (mostly) useless, given other free options on my phone.

I find it interesting that the navigation unit re-routed me on its own, without having the XM traffic subscription. This was yesterday, and there are no traffic indicators on the map for me here in Atlanta, which I would expect to see if it were active.

Very curious as to how this happened.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts