Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad is old school and thinks the engine shutting itself off when you come to a complete stop is bad for the starter and causing unnecessary "wear and tear" on the vehicle. I know you can shut that feature off, I just wanted to know if what he's saying is true. Should it be turned off? He says starting a vehicle uses gas as well, so he doesn't know what purpose it serves and I am upgrading from a 2005 beater Neon to a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, so I know even less about it than he does.

Thanks for any help and insight!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Like your dad, i'm old school too and also think the Automatic Stop/Start (ASS) system is an unneeded dumb idea even if it does save a few drops of fuel.

I'm sure all the components in the ASS system are beefed up to handle hundreds of thousands of engine start ups over the life of the vehicle...... at least i hope so.
I'd think disabling the ASS system would make all those components last even longer.

Myself i always disable that goofy system at first engine startup.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wasn't on board at first, I believe there is a 2nd starter just for the ASS though.
I don't really notice it anymore, I only disable it in stop/go traffic
I would guess that sitting at a stoplight for 2-3 minutes uses less gas than starting it back up
Guess it would depend on your type of driving to determine if its worth it
I know of other vehicles where you dont have this choice, its just always enabled

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah my dad is just totally against it because he believes it is causing wear and tear on the engine/starter and says starting up your vehicle uses gas too. I don't keep it on during stop/go traffic or in the city with a light every mile, so I guess I just wanted a retort of some kind to explain why it wasn't so terrible lol

·
Registered
112 Posts
Isn’t there a second battery for auto start stop and don’t vehicles equiped with this feature have much heavier duty starters.

And yes I’m old school and would hate it to

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah my dad is just totally against it because he believes it is causing wear and tear on the engine/starter and says starting up your vehicle uses gas too. I don't keep it on during stop/go traffic or in the city with a light every mile, so I guess I just wanted a retort of some kind to explain why it wasn't so terrible lol
Who's vehicle is it? Your or his?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine, I bought it, but I have never had a vehicle worth more than $1000 and he's had quite a few. I was just trying to get an answer to his concern because I have no idea.
It will be just fine leaving it in use or if you toggle it off every time you get into the vehicle.

·
Registered
2017 GC Trailhawk
75 Posts
It will be just fine leaving it in use or if you toggle it off every time you get into the vehicle.
There is a adaptor you can purchase that disables the start/stop system. I forgot the website but it just plugs into your OBD port

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee 3.6 Limited.
75 Posts
Listen to your Dad, the starter should be ok because it has been designed to be stronger but most engine wear happens during start ups. Best thing is switch it off each time, or like Natzoo said buy a device to disable it.I bought one online and it cost me about $170 CDN. Expensive but worth it to me because I plan to keep my Jeep for a long time.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Some, most or maybe all ASS systems use an aux. water pump which is powered by an electric motor.
Not sure about how the power steering pump or the needed vacuum for power brakes is addressed. If anyone knows chime in here.
The main engine bearings and starter motors are also designed to withstand frequent stop/start ups.

Don't know about FCA but the Ford F150 ASS systems can be permanently disabled by plugging in a trailer light tester into its trailer electrical connector. The ASS system is automatically disabled when the PCM senses a trailer hookup.
It can also be disabled when the AC is enabled or i think with some year F150's when Sport mode is enabled.

Like i said earlier with all the extra beefed up components needed to support an ASS system just think how much longer that engine will last by disabling it.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Unfortunately, it looks like the auto start/stop technology is here to stay, just glad FCA chose not to use it on the HEMI.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Every so many years, the most idiotic ideas come around and are worked into car designs. Vinyl roof, start disabled until seat belt is buckled and those traveling shoulder belts over the top of the door window that got grease on the shoulder of your clothes or Cadillac's 4-6-8 engine to mention a few. The start/stop feature is just as stupid. In fact it can be dangerous when you are waiting to make a left turn in heavy incoming traffic with only a split second decision to make it, but you have to wait for the engine to start before you can go. I don't care how heavy duty the starter is, the gear engages to the ring gear on the flywheel without any lubricant, thus wearing it out. If stupidity was punishable by law, the inventor of this should get at least 3 consecutive life sentences. That's my $.02 on the matter.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Every so many years, the most idiotic ideas come around and are worked into car designs. Vinyl roof, start disabled until seat belt is buckled and those traveling shoulder belts over the top of the door window that got grease on the shoulder of your clothes or Cadillac's 4-6-8 engine to mention a few. The start/stop feature is just as stupid. In fact it can be dangerous when you are waiting to make a left turn in heavy incoming traffic with only a split second decision to make it, but you have to wait for the engine to start before you can go. I don't care how heavy duty the starter is, the gear engages to the ring gear on the flywheel without any lubricant, thus wearing it out. If stupidity was punishable by law, the inventor of this should get at least 3 consecutive life sentences. That's my $.02 on the matter.

Add to that list:

Crossfire injection
Tuned Port Injection
Plastic water pump (Mark IV VW)
Plastic EVAP hoses (WK2's)
Tesla "truck"

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was never a big fan of stop/start but for some reason my stop/start feature disabled itself in my 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk at around 15,000 miles.
I'm in no rush to go to the dealer to enable it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would think there is plenty of additional wear and tear on several components over time. When I start my Jeep I disable the feature. There are a couple lights on my commute that last really long, sometime I re-enable it at those lights so I'm not using as much gas. Not sure it even saves all that much though.

It doesn't work half the time anyway, because several conditions must be met before it will stop. Like if you have the A/C running pretty strong, it most likely will not stop or won't stay stopped for very long which can be annoying.

·
Registered
Cherokee Limited
69 Posts
My dad is old school and thinks the engine shutting itself off when you come to a complete stop is bad for the starter and causing unnecessary "wear and tear" on the vehicle. I know you can shut that feature off, I just wanted to know if what he's saying is true. Should it be turned off? He says starting a vehicle uses gas as well, so he doesn't know what purpose it serves and I am upgrading from a 2005 beater Neon to a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, so I know even less about it than he does.

The start/stop feature has really no effect on these new modern engines for wear and tear and as for extra fuel usage that would of been the case in the old carburettor type system. The great thing I find with mine is the option to turn it off in slow moving/heavy traffic which a lot of other brands don’t offer with similar systems. At long stops I like it as when it shuts off I just put it in park and relax without having to hold it on the foot brake.

John Cardogan at (autoexpert.com.au )did a interesting piece on the start/stop system, especially on how it has no real effect on wear and tear to the engine. I turn mine off in heavy/ slow moving traffic but I use it for long traffic light stops and delays as when it shuts off I just put it in park and give my braking foot a rest and when I about to go I stick it in drive and it fires up ready to go.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I beg to somewhat disagree with that ^.
Firstly the ASS system requires an AGM battery because of the multiple starts and short charging cycles.
The torque converter ring gear and the starter pinion gears are exposed to double duty, triple duty....wear.
Unless the starter motor is of some brushless type, its brushes are subject to premature wear.
While the main engine bearings are supposedly beefed up, the cam/phasers, timing chains, cylinders and lifters are not.
Also there are additional components to support an ASS system which sooner or later will break or wear out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts