Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2018 GC HA
626 Posts
The start/stop feature has really no effect on these new modern engines for wear and tear and as for extra fuel usage that would of been the case in the old carburettor type system. The great thing I find with mine is the option to turn it off in slow moving/heavy traffic which a lot of other brands don’t offer with similar systems. At long stops I like it as when it shuts off I just put it in park and relax without having to hold it on the foot brake.
The second you put it in park it starts back up, so not sure how you are doing that.

·
Registered
2018 GC HA
626 Posts
I will say, I do not like the system myself but its not something that would ever stop me from buying the vehicle. As far as the wear and tear, you can rest assured the people who engineered the system took into account the extra starts the vehicle will see over its life time. Am I saying it will never fail? Of course not. Everything will fail if used long enough, but I'm sure its not going to fail any sooner than a normal starter under normal use. If there was a problem with this system blowing starters out, you can bet anything there would be 9000 threads about it on this forum. Buy the Jeep and don't worry about it. I turn the system off every time I start my Jeep, to the point where I don't even realize I'm pressing the button anymore. I don't do it because I'm worried about reliability, I do it because the start/stop annoys me. Get yourself a Maximum Care plan when you buy the Jeep and none of this will ever be a worry for you anyway.

·
Registered
91 Posts
For what it's worth over read that the ESS uses a heavy-duty starter rated for 300,000 cycles. If I did my math right, and you keep your GC for 15 years, that's 50+ starts...per day. For 15 years.

My dad always told me to wait 5-10 minutes for all the oil to drain back into the pan before checking the level...so you would think that a 1-2 minute stoplight would not leave things dry.

The 2nd battery is used to keep electrical systems running while the vehicle is off, leaving the other battery available for starting duty.

My commute is highway-heavy with a couple of long lights at each end so I leave mine enabled because I honestly hate sitting at a stop light watching my mpg average drop.

All that being said: I think the whole ESS system is a ridiculously complex, heavy, and expensive brute-force solution to gaining maybe 1mpg, and as an engineer that appreciates elegant design, I find it offensive.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Right off the bat... I don't own a vehicle with the auto start/stop. But have certainly driven a few... my opinion of them is the same as the majority responding here. I don't care for them either. But I do believe that they're effective in the intended function, which is to save fuel. I also think that the engineering behind them is "good enough" And by "good enough" I mean they're "good enough" for the manufacturer. The manufacturer is trying to improve fuel economy to meet CAFE standards. Money in the pocket for said manufacturer. Also, by beefing up components that would likely cause premature wear or warranty issues... more money in the pocket for said manufacturer. So, my $.02 is the system is designed to benefit the manufacturer more so than the consumer. But isn't that the American way?

But back to the argument of whether it's detrimental to your engine or uses more gas... probably old schoolers (and I'm old enough to be in this group) are basing beliefs on carbureted engines and cold starts. A warm engine is not going to suffer lack of lubrication at start up like a cold engine does. And modern fuel systems are light years ahead of carburetors, period.

OK - $.03 :)

·
Premium Member
Laredo E
9 Posts
My dad is old school and thinks the engine shutting itself off when you come to a complete stop is bad for the starter and causing unnecessary "wear and tear" on the vehicle. I know you can shut that feature off, I just wanted to know if what he's saying is true. Should it be turned off? He says starting a vehicle uses gas as well, so he doesn't know what purpose it serves and I am upgrading from a 2005 beater Neon to a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, so I know even less about it than he does.

Thanks for any help and insight!
It's automatic for me, now. After pushing the start button, I reach over and disable the auto stop/start. I hate it.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
It's automatic for me, now. After pushing the start button, I reach over and disable the auto stop/start. I hate it.
Same here when i remember to do so. Sometimes the first stop reminds me to press the disable button.
Just wish it could be permanently disabled in setup.
Must be some spooky CAFE regulation that it can't be disabled permanently at least easily by the owner.

At least we've got a button to disable ASS temporarily where as some new vehicle owners are stuck with the ASS system permanently.

·
Registered
303 Posts
My 2018 GC HA has the ESS and I don't mind it. I usually turn it off as I reach for the gear selector but I sometimes leave it on. Mine usually takes at least 30 minutes for the system to be ready after it says it has finished charging the battery, so for short trips the ESS doesn't even come into play.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I permanently disabled my auto start stop by disconnecting the hood pin, the only thing now is i have a warning light on saying that the ASS wont work becausevthe hood is showing open.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For what my opinion is worth, that was my first thought when we bought my wife's 2016 Acura MDX. That and how long the battery was going to last. We just traded her car in two weeks ago and the original battery and starter were still going strong. In September of 2016, I bought a 2017 JGC Summit 4x2. I'm still on the original battery and starter and have not had a problem with either, and I do a lot of city driving.

Large companies like UPS have had their drivers shut off their engines at every stop, even if the driver was going to stop at every house on the street. These companies have millions of miles and even more starts & stops then any one of us will have and they continue to do it. My guess is that UPS has logged all of this and input it all into a database to decide whether the wear and tear was worth the effort. Apparently, it is.

Just as a side note, I hated her MDX and I finally talked her into a 2020 GC Summit 4x4. Now the only problem is, hers is cooler than mine. :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just think how long the battery and starter will last if you don't stop and start the engine a few hundred times a week. You only had each vehicle 3 to 4 years trouble free, so by not using the on/off feature the engine starting components will last for ever. As far as UPS drivers go, it is a safety concern that requires them to shut the engine off, not a fuel savings effort. They have full time mechanics working 3 shifts to maintain these vehicles and they replace these trucks every few years. One of my friends is a mechanic for UPS and they do have wear issues with all components of these trucks and they constantly repair them.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts