Discussion Starter #1
Rear defroster not working

Checked elec. tabs under grid cover and , fuse but both are fine

under fuse box diagram does not specify

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a multimeter? When you activate the rear defrost, does the indicator on the switch illuminate?
1) Yes
2) yes, what does that tell you ?

Thanks Ratchet I will check these things this week

·
Registered
2014 WK2 Overland
832 Posts
1) Yes
2) yes, what does that tell you ?

Thanks Ratchet I will check these things this week
2) That tells us that at least we're getting power to the switch. I haven't seen any failed/broken grids unless the owner installed aftermarket window tint and since removed it damaging the grid itself. I have however seen quite a few of the tabs have a poor connection to the grid as well as the wiring to the tab itself get pinched or damaged near the headliner/rear lift gate frame. In a few rare cases, I've seen the wire ever so slightly pull out of the connector pin that attatches to the tab on the glass.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2) That tells us that at least we're getting power to the switch. I haven't seen any failed/broken grids unless the owner installed aftermarket window tint and since removed it damaging the grid itself. I have however seen quite a few of the tabs have a poor connection to the grid as well as the wiring to the tab itself get pinched or damaged near the headliner/rear lift gate frame. In a few rare cases, I've seen the wire ever so slightly pull out of the connector pin that attatches to the tab on the glass.
Have you ever heard of the whole grid working but not getting as warm as before ?

·
Registered
2014 WK2 Overland
832 Posts
Have you ever heard of the whole grid working but not getting as warm as before ?
Personally, no. I have not. The grid will either have continuity or not. In the situation you just mentioned, I could see the supply voltage being a bit lower than the known good voltage and that may cause a low heat condition. If that were the case, there is an underlying issue between the voltage source and the input on the grid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts