Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '11 Overland with the Class IV Hitch.

In looking at the Jeep OEM ball mount (just the mount, no ball(s)), they want $241 for this, and it's $209 from a reputable dealer on Fleabay.

Is this made of gold or something? I realize it's a Class IV rated to 7500 pounds, but it looks like there are a lot of non-Jeep products that would work just fine.

Anyone out there buy this OEM part? If so, what logic did you use to justify it?

Thanks
John

·
Administrator
11,216 Posts
The heavy, cast ball mount I bought from Northern Tool, which is rated for 10,000 lbs, cost a fraction of that! I think the description might be wrong...for $214, that sounds like the OEM hitch receiver, not a ball mount. Even the most expensive ball mount I've seen from one of the "we gouge you for everything we sell" stores is under a hundred bucks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, there was operator error involved. The unit quoted was the full receiver. What I'm actually looking for is referred to as the Hitch Ball Mount Adapter, one of which is model #82213548.

These are in the typical $30 price range.

Thanks for the clarifications.

John

·
Administrator
11,216 Posts
If you plan on towing be sure that the ball mount you acquire is rated for the load you intend to haul. A typical $30 ball mount may only go to 5000 lbs...which is fine for a common utility trailer, but not for heavier tasks. You'll also need to know the drop you need (or don't need) depending on the normal ball height of your trailer. I use a 4" drop for both my utility trailer and for my small horse trailer with QL at "normal" height. That puts the top of the ball at about 19" off the ground which is right for both of my trailers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.