Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Thanks for that.
You mentioned delamination but is it really a decal?
It did not come from the factory with whatever that is.

A PO's (or your's?) after market idea of an Easter Egg.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that.
You mentioned delamination but is it really a decal?
It did not come from the factory with whatever that is.

A PO's (or your's?) after market idea of an Easter Egg.
we are the only owner... and my wife is SO PARTICULAR... we couldn't believe she hadn't previously noticed it.
I guess it could be a decal, maybe someone placed on as Easter Egg (?)
thanks

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
If you're the original owner, me thinks maybe your wife just might be could be fibbing? lol

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
I double checked this evening . It’s not a decal. Definitely “under” the top of the glass, but not on the inside of the car.
Very odd
Well then that could be another mystery of the universe.
To my knowledge and could be wrong, i still don't think it came like that from the factory.

Or maybe just maybe mind you, a few select jeeps purposely did and if the owner contacted Jeep why they can win a million dollar prize! haha

Or Jeep temprarily ran out of windshields and had to use a backup windshield supplier who's logo is a snow flake?

How big length and width wise is that snow flake or is it a fern thing?
Was the windshield ever replaced?
You said you're the only owner but did you buy the jeep as a demo with mileage or something?

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Car was brand new.
its probably an inch long maybe. If you zoom in you can see the black gasket that rides along the top of the door (for scale)

and I could use a cool million bucks Lol
Haha! These days we could all use a million bucks even a few thou.

Don't know if you read my edited version but there are more scenarios in there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To me it looks more like a fern but yea..I suppose it could be a snowflake.
And I didn’t consider the replacement windshed prior to purchase. We’ve never had it replaced however.
To let it looks like it’s a leaf…inside the glass. Lol. It’s just odd man.

·
Premium Member
SRT8
3,017 Posts
Can you feel it with your finger nail or is it smooth. I don't remember WK2s getting any Special YETI editions or North editions like wranglers that may have goofy stuff like this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
can't feel it at all. glass is smooth, both sides.
I'm leaning toward a delam, or separation of glass. at least that is what it looks like to me. much like the protective glass film on your iphone once it begins to get air beneath it.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
If its a delam here's my hypothesis on how it could of happened.
The delam started from a pinhole at that corner of the windshield then a little moisture seeped in then froze.
The now frozen ice expanded enough to separate the initial delam causing a furthering of the delam which would allow more moisture in then froze again.
That cycle repeats itself over and over until we have a growing fern in the windshield.

Frozen water can manifest into ice crystal lattices similar to atmospheric moisture freezing into a snow flake pattern.
But the conditions the windshield fern formed in are not the same conditions a snowflake will form in.
Instead depending on how large an area and/or where the delam is, it could be restricted to form into a geometric fractal pattern similar to what looks like a fern.

Here's a pic of a snow flake. Note some of the rounded ends somewhat similar to the windshield fern.
Christmas ornament Twig Terrestrial plant Christmas decoration Freezing

Now if we crop the above snow flake we have what roughly resembles a fern.
Font Metal Electric blue Fashion accessory Event

Reactions: andrewsiff

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you just went Mr. Wizard :lol: ... sounds plausible, though quite technical.
my "fern/ice crystal" is very, very smooth on the edges however...almost a laser or water jet type precision. not to say your hypothesis is incorrect, just throwing out the comparison.

at this point, given it's "inside", i think this is the only logical explanation.

thanks for the feedback and insight!

·
Registered
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo
118 Posts
I just had a new windscreen installed on my 2011, big crack. The glass man, whom I’ve known and dealt with for 20+ years pointed out to me where my original equipment was delaminating at the edges.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited X 4X2
18 Posts
Just wondering about the safety aspect. I mean, would it be a problem in a crash? Show to your dealer and raise this question. Then its on them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As someone already said, its most likely been slowly growing.
Try taking photos every week or so from now on-that way you have a way to accurately judge how much it changes over a given time,
If it doesn't grow much in say 3 or 6 months, you might not want to bother replacing the windshield, and let it be a conversation starter. Even if you do, it shouldn't cost very much if you have a low deductible on your comprehensive coverage.
Here's another thought though, you may have an almost invisible chip/crack somewhere in that corner area, (perhaps on the very edge), and the seaweed design is doing an excellent job of camouflaging it. I'd check it out with a magnifier- just to know for sure.

My wife had a windshield that had just begun to delaminate when we bought her previous car-used. (Its a Nissan.)
We used that and a couple other minor things to drop the asking price.
At that time it had only advanced to about 1/3", beginning from both of the edges where about a 2" triangular piece had cracked completely across one layer of the windshield glass. We figured to just wait and see what happened. That was 15 years ago and the last time I saw the vehicle (no longer hers) it was still approximately the same size.
Her CURRENT car is a Scion Xb (again bought used) that's on its 3rd windshield (in the 3 years she's had it) and each one started from a tiny chip that soon went berserk. There is ZERO significant body damage on her vehicle-no twisted unibody and just a few paint chips on the hood's lead edge, but not even a visible ding on the entire front clip and roof pillars. That upright windshield is just a rock magnet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts