Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a 2014 JGC summit 4x4 with air suspension. I have taken the vehicle in countless times to a Jeep dealership and my alignment is so off, especially at high speeds. When I drive my wheel is cocked to the right in order to go straight. If I let go of the wheel, my car goes to the left. The jeep dealership keeps telling me the alignment is perfect etc. I just spoke to the service manager and he said my vehicle is always off when they do the alignment. On Sunday, I just found a button in settings that says “wheel alignment mode.” From what I can tell, the vehicle would need to be on in this mode, is that right?? Does anyone have insight? I don’t know what to do but my tires keep wearing so fast bc of this horrible alignment.

·
Registered
2014 WK2 Overland
1,041 Posts
Did they give you a printout of the alignment results? If so, post that up here and let me take a peek. If the forum won't let you post it, I can share my email address with you via PM.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did they give you a printout of the alignment results? If so, post that up here and let me take a peek. If the forum won't let you post it, I can share my email address with you via PM.
They didn’t give me a printout (go figure) but I just emailed the service manager to ask for one and he said he would send it over. I’ll post it when I get it.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,798 Posts
The button for the alignment mode, I "suspect" is for the QL (Air Suspension) for performing an alignment... ...there are different modes for service/maintenance procedures, like the jack mode, that prevents the system from adjusting while jacking the vehicle and result in possibly the vehicle moving from the QL adjusting ride heights and knocking the vehicle off the jack....

There was a thread that the Dealer was clearly blowing off the Castor adjustment of the alignment, and that would explain the wheel pulling to one side at higher speeds....

·
Registered
2014 WK2 Overland
1,041 Posts
Mongo, yes. It's located within the settings/suspension menu in infotainment display strictly for performing an alignment on QL equipped vehicles. I see may cases where dealer techs don't even bother with rear camber either. As I've mentioned before, our WK2's are fully adjustable on the front and rear. It's unfortunate that a lot of dealers and shops both lack a competent tech that takes the time to perform an alignment correctly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here is a copy of the print out. Let me know if you can’t open it!

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 WK2 Overland
1,041 Posts
The alignment doesn't look too shabby honestly. In fact, that's one of the better dealer alignments I have seen. They're using a Hunter brand system which is good. It will prompt the tech to put the vehicle suspension into "alignment mode". Now, weather the tech did that or not is a mystery. Also, wether or not the steering is centered correctly is something that can only be seen while driving.

Judging by those numbers, most likely, you are experiencing a radial pull caused by a belt shift in one of the front tires. You are having to counter steer to the right in order to fight the pull to the left. The easiest way to confirm this is to either cross the front tires (switch them from left to right), or rotate the front tires to the rear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The alignment doesn't look too shabby honestly. Weather or not the steering is centered correctly is something that can only be seen while driving. Judging by those numbers, most likely, you are experiencing a radial pull caused by a belt shift in one of the front tires. You are having to counter steer to fight the pull to the left. The easiest way to confirm this is to either cross the front tires switch them from left to right), or rotate the front tires to the rear.
Thank you for the quick response! I just had the tires rotated at the same time that they did the alignment. They also replaced the sway bar and lower right front control arm. Should the alignment be checked in aero mode as well? They said they did the alignment in standard ride height.

·
Registered
2014 WK2 Overland
1,041 Posts
No. There is a difference between aero mode, tire jack mode, and alignment mode. Tire jack mode and alignment mode are for service purposes only. The vehicle MUST be set to alignment mode or all bets are off.

Reactions: Guts

·
Registered
2017 Altitude 2014 Limited
28 Posts
Mongo, yes. It's located within the settings/suspension menu in infotainment display strictly for performing an alignment on QL equipped vehicles. I see may cases where dealer techs don't even bother with rear camber either. As I've mentioned before, our WK2's are fully adjustable on the front and rear. It's unfortunate that a lot of dealers and shops both lack a competent tech that takes the time to perform an alignment correctly.
No. There is a difference between aero mode, tire jack mode, and alignment mode. Tire jack mode and alignment mode are for service purposes only. The vehicle MUST be set to alignment mode or all bets are off.
Hey Ratchet, I replaced my Rear Knuckle. Where is the Rear alignment adjustment points. I really don't see anything there to adjust.

·
Registered
2014 WK2 Overland
1,041 Posts
Hey Ratchet, I replaced my Rear Knuckle. Where is the Rear alignment adjustment points. I really don't see anything there to adjust.
I'd highly advise not cranking on the adjustments unless it's being aligned.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m not sure what is wrong with mine. The sheet looks like it should be driving correctly but to drive straight the wheel has to be cocked to the right as shown in the pics here.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Altitude 2014 Limited
28 Posts
I’m not sure what is wrong with mine. The sheet looks like it should be driving correctly but to drive straight the wheel has to be cocked to the right as shown in the pics here.
d
Ty for those pics. Vehicle was initially aligned with an unknown bent right rear knuckle, The next alignment they got the steering wheel straight(was off to right after new knuckle) after the new right rear knuckle installed. Now vehicle pulls to the right especially when just crawling on flat surface. Thinking they never touched the rear. I will print the pics and show them where alignment adjusters are. Thanks Ratchet!

·
Registered
2014 WK2 Overland
1,041 Posts
Sounds good 1199. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
2014 WK2 Overland
1,041 Posts
Classic situation. Looks like the tech got in a hurry and didn't center the steering wheel completely before adjusting the front toe. The Hunter systems will prompt the tech to position the steering wheel to the preferred "center" and then the machine will guide the tech to adjust the left and right outer tie rods to "zero". Sometimes, the software does glitch, but any competent tech will notice this and adjust as necessary. A tech that allows a vehicle to leave like that probably wears velcro shoes and spells with numbers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Classic situation. Looks like the tech got in a hurry and didn't center the steering wheel completely before adjusting the front toe. The Hunter systems will prompt the tech to position the steering wheel to the preferred "center" and then the machine will guide the tech to adjust the left and right outer tie rods to "zero". Sometimes, the software does glitch, but any competent tech will notice this and adjust as necessary. A tech that allows a vehicle to leave like that probably wears velcro shoes and spells with numbers.
Hahaha! Sadly this is at least the 10th time I’ve had it in for this issue. It gets even worse at higher speeds and if I let go of the wheel (when cocked to the right) and the wheel straightens, the car goes directly to the left. I’m taking it back to them again to look at and the shop foreman is supposed to ride with me. Anything in particular I should tell him/ask him?

·
Registered
2014 WK2 Overland
1,041 Posts
Either one of the turn plates or slip plates on there rack could be binding, or they're just not measuring properly before making adjustments. And as previously mentioned several times by other members, the suspension must be set to alignment mode prior to performing any preliminary measuring.

·
Registered
03 WJ, 4.Slow, 3" IRO
471 Posts
Hahaha! Sadly this is at least the 10th time I’ve had it in for this issue. It gets even worse at higher speeds and if I let go of the wheel (when cocked to the right) and the wheel straightens, the car goes directly to the left. I’m taking it back to them again to look at and the shop foreman is supposed to ride with me. Anything in particular I should tell him/ask him?
They need to align it in alignment mode. Doing it in standard mode does nothing to correct it. Doesn't matter how good the printout reeds. The steering wheel needs to be straight before any alignment work. There is a procedure that must be followed step by step. There are no shortcuts in doing an alignment.

As Ratchet says, it is better than some printouts but it is still not as good as it could be. If you notice in the bar beside the wheels on the printout some have a "step". The arrow needs to be in the lower portion of the step as close to center as possible. The toe, for example, must be equally split between the two sides or you can get the wheel cocked to one side. Each side and collectively they are within specs but the printout is indicating there might be an issue. If the toe or anything else is on the outside of its preferred adjustment and then with the thrust angle not centered you will have issues. The sum is greater than the parts. The tech may even have to go back and readjust to get the overall reading more precise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They need to align it in alignment mode. Doing it in standard mode does nothing to correct it. Doesn't matter how good the printout reeds. The steering wheel needs to be straight before any alignment work. There is a procedure that must be followed step by step. There are no shortcuts in doing an alignment.

As Ratchet says, it is better than some printouts but it is still not as good as it could be. If you notice in the bar beside the wheels on the printout some have a "step". The arrow needs to be in the lower portion of the step as close to center as possible. The toe, for example, must be equally split between the two sides or you can get the wheel cocked to one side. Each side and collectively they are within specs but the printout is indicating there might be an issue. If the toe or anything else is on the outside of its preferred adjustment and then with the thrust angle not centered you will have issues. The sum is greater than the parts. The tech may even have to go back and readjust to get the overall reading more precise.
Thank you!! I will definitely let them know this when I take it in.

·
Registered
03 WJ, 4.Slow, 3" IRO
471 Posts
Another issue ratchet mentioned is your tires. A broken belt inside the tire can cause this issue as well. Even if there is no broken belt tires can be out of round brand new. Your tires should be examined not just balanced and rotated. Certain tire manufacturers have had long histories of issues with the construction of their tires. The tire pressure must be set to the correct pressures. Not just close enough. The tires can be a different size than stock but they all must be the same size and width.

Tire wear can be an issue when aligning a vehicle. It's a one of your tires is at about 20% tread life and the other one is 90% this can throw off the readings especially if the tires are on the same axle or cross corner. It is best to have matching tread depth on the same axle. Also, if your tires have become worn due to the poor alignment once it is correctly aligned it can cause a pulling issue as well.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.