Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
2018 GC HA
Discussion Starter #1
Girlfriend did this on her way to work today and didn't even stop to check the damage until she got there. Wishful thinking but we're both hoping the insurance will total it. It's only worth about $13,500 trade in.

Attachments

Registered
WTF?...a deer did this?...what did it get back up after the initial hit, and then ram the side bumper too with its ass? Did that deer have headlights? 馃ぃ:unsure:

Registered
OUCH!
Based on the pic i'd say its a coin toss as to whether the insurance totals it.
My guess they'll have it repaired as i don't think there's $13500 damage there.

Deers are a big problem in my County.
Seen as many as 50 in some herds here.
I had 3 vehicle vs. deer encounters over the years.

Dusk and thereafter seems to be when they're the most active.
Driving slower is about the best one can do but that doesn't guaranteed against a deer darting out from the roadside brush right in front of the vehicle.

Wish the hell deer hunting season was open all year round at least in my County.

Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
I didn't have damage to the radiator when I hit mine but similar damage otherwise (not as extensive fender damage but was still replaced) and it was around $6500. I'm betting it's not totaled.

Registered
2018 GC HA
Discussion Starter #5
OUCH!
Based on the pic i'd say its a coin toss as to whether the insurance totals it.
My guess they'll have it repaired as i don't think there's $13500 damage there.
I think its something like if the repairs are 75% of the cars value it will likely be totaled. I think you're right on the coin toss. It will probably all depend on what they find underneath.

Registered
Have any of you filed a police report for a deer hit?

Reason i ask my last deer hit required a new front bumper and lower grill for my F150.
Around $1500 worth of damage.
I didn't call the police and have them file a report as that bambi SOB flipped and ran into the thick brush.
(I'm sure sooner or later it made a nice meal for a coyote pack ha ha)

I did file a claim with my insurance and soon after my insurance rate mysteriously increased.
I assumed a deer hit would be considered an act of God handled same as a hail damaged windshield replacement.
Could be without police a report proof of a deer hit, they considered it negligent driving or something.
I called my insurance about the rate increase and got no definitive answer, just a bunch of mumbo jumbo like an ordinary yearly increase.

By the way just yesterday i encountered three instances of deers near the road i was driving on right at dusk.
Gave my best impression of coyote yaps with a few dog barks thrown in and they skeedaddled.

Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
I called the police when I hit mine. After the impact the deer slid down the road and took out two mailboxes and was still alive with multiple broken legs. I was not held responsible for the mailboxes because I didn't hit them...whoops! But the accident does hit my Carfax. I have no intentions of getting rid of the Jeep while its worth any major amount of money so I'm not worried about that.

As it was an impact with an animal....and I'm in Pennsylvania (this is normal for us :rolleyes:) it does not affect my insurance rate. It did however look bad whenever I was increasing my personal coverage when my husband and I were getting married and the venue required it.

Registered
It's only worth about $13,500 trade in.
I don't think I'm ever trading one in again. I sold my clean low mileage (35K) '11 GC Laredo X 4x4 today for $17,000. That is 47.5% of what I paid straight sale ($35750) for my '19 GC Limited 4x4 three weeks ago. A couple of dealers tried to give me $13K +/- trade in for it. Glad I decided to sell it myself.

My '11 was in perfect shape but I just had to have the 8 speed tranny and 8.4 radio/NAV. The auto tailgate and cross path detection are nice too. Now my wife is jealous because her '14 doesn't have cross path.

Registered
And she didn't put the deer in the back either1
Its semi rare to see a dead deer along the country roads around here.
Either people throw fresh kills in their pick up beds or read the next paragraph below.
Usually the only evidence of a deer hit on the County roads here is a large splattering blood spot on the road.
Highways yes, see dead deers all the time along them.

A few years ago someone hit and killed a large buck right in front of my property line that was lying on the side of the road.
Next day dozens of buzzards were now circling my property as the rotting deer just started to begin stinking.
So i called the County to pick it up but they never showed up.

All it took were three days for the buzzards and coyotes to completely devour that deer with only a few small bones remaining.

Now i know why the County never showed up.
Buzzards and coyotes need to eat too.

Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
Its semi rare to see a dead deer along the country roads around here.
Either people throw fresh kills in their pick up beds or read the next paragraph below.
Usually the only evidence of a deer hit on the County roads here is a large splattering blood spot on the road.
Highways yes, see dead deers all the time along them.

A few years ago someone hit and killed a large buck right in front of my property line that was lying on the side of the road.
Next day dozens of buzzards were now circling my property as the rotting deer just started to begin stinking.
So i called the County to pick it up but they never showed up.

All it took were three days for the buzzards and coyotes to completely devour that deer with only a few small bones remaining.

Now i know why the County never showed up.
Buzzards and coyotes need to eat too.
And that's the way it should be (if you don't put it in the back of your damaged truck - you should have some compensation).

Registered
2011 JGC
Got to agree with others,unlikely to be totaled,my 2011 GC X with 42k had major damage last week,in the repair shop probably for another week or two,they didn鈥檛 total it out,mind you the devaluation doesn鈥檛 bother me as I keep my Jeeps forever,kinda a bone of contention with my good lady!
Yours really looks to be cosmetic,although the headlight assembly鈥檚 are expensive,and probably have a bent bumper protector behind the plastic bumper,radiator expansion tank cracked too looking at the red patch below the bumper,it鈥檚 likely around $6-7k of damage.If you have Geico,less as their small print allows for non oem or used parts.If you have Geico,at least the repairs are covered for as long as you own the vehicle.
If/when repaired,be anal about checking everything prior to signing off on it......fit of panels, gaps all correct,make sure all plastic trim is present and correct under the hood etc and that the paint blend is of a professional level.
Sorry your lady had this happen,it really sucks,mine was a hit and run from a guy in his mid to late 70鈥檚,dash cam caught it but as his vehicle shoved me into a telegraph pole,didn鈥檛 get the tag.Just him n the side of his vehicle.Gotta LOVE light jumpers!
Most importantly she is just fine.............the metal can be fixed.

Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
@CT2011JGK all good points. The headlights retail around $1500 a piece. Prior to my impact the dealer replaced mine under warranty for clouding so I pushed the insurance to replace with brand new ones (they will go for used in similar condition if not, or aftermarket equivalents). Once they had everything apart they found the rad support to be twisted and had to replace that as well.

I went over everything with a fine tooth comb. It had to go back 4 times to get everything straightened out. There were terrible runs all through the paint so they had to repaint everything, outside temp sensor wasn't reinstalled and was up against the radiator, had to go to the dealer to have the headlights recalibrated. It was a pain but in the end my Jeep came back good as new.

Registered
2011 JGC
@CT2011JGK all good points. The headlights retail around $1500 a piece. Prior to my impact the dealer replaced mine under warranty for clouding so I pushed the insurance to replace with brand new ones (they will go for used in similar condition if not, or aftermarket equivalents). Once they had everything apart they found the rad support to be twisted and had to replace that as well.

I went over everything with a fine tooth comb. It had to go back 4 times to get everything straightened out. There were terrible runs all through the paint so they had to repaint everything, outside temp sensor wasn't reinstalled and was up against the radiator, had to go to the dealer to have the headlights recalibrated. It was a pain but in the end my Jeep came back good as new.
Yeppers.................already warned the body shop I am anal about my Jeep so I expect,mine too will re visit a few times for tweaks.
Awesome to read your Jeep is now as she was originally,anyone reading these interactions if you have bodywork done,thru insurance or your own back pocket,you ARE NOT a difficult customer/owner to EXPECT your vehicle,after being repaired,to show NO signs of an accident and to drive equally as well and safely as it originally did.THATS what your paying for.
As a side note,not sure about other states,but if a collision and the other driver is held at fault(I know OP was a deer related accident) here in Maryland,your entitled to also ask for devaluation of your vehicle.Insurers won鈥檛 offer,you have to ask,they WILL make you jump thru hoops to get it,ie,send you somewhere (like CarMax as their offers are historically middle of the road) to get a price,so say pre accident your vehicle is worth $20k yet post damage it鈥檚 worth $16,500 your entitled to that $3.5k difference over and above all repair costs to be made 鈥榳hole鈥 again.If you keep your vehicles like I do,no big deal,but if you trade in every few years,you could use that money to offset the loss you will suffer on an accident repaired vehicle trade in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts