Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at paying extra for the active safety group on 2018. Anyone that has it how well does it all work for you? Worth the extra money?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Yes it is worth it. Has nothing to do with how well you drive, although it will surely save your ass if you are not a very good driver. Advanced safety tech is the wave of the future. It's not going away. In fact, more and more active safety features are being required on vehicles all the time.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Glad to hear it, and I do as well. There's a spirited debate about the rear parksense going on in another thread. I'm surprised that some people absolutely hate it.

Even though I do have a pretty good sense of humor, I did think you were only half-joking, because you were in the camp with the tech haters...maybe not sitting around the fire with them and their canvas tents, but hanging in your camper in the next spot over.

·
Registered
2006 &2018 gc
64 Posts
As someone who spent their whole career in "high tech" I will always take a competent aware driver with a few tech enhancements over a fully tech'd out "safe" car with ignorant unaware occupants any day - Too many things can go wrong with the tech and usually with little to no warning - Imagine the radio fiasco of last week taking place in the minds of all the driverless cars they want to put on the road - Gives me chills!

I just picked up my new baby (2018 Summit) and with just 68 miles on it all the lights and whistles are still a little distracting and will take some getting used to - I am sure there will be some things I'll love and some I could probably do without but it is a great learning experience

JN

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'm ok with tech but mainly the tech for safety. I really do like my uconnect system but I don't play with it while in motion. I was just on a little rant on another thread about the new tech in the 2018 uconnect with android and Apple car play. I just feel that too much emphasis on the phone tech tied into the car will lead to a disconnected and inattentive driver which leads to disaster. Plus I'm just sick of seeing the younger generation always with their face in their phones and so disconnected with society. Went out to eat and saw a family of 5 next to me with everyone of them starring at their phones and not even paying attention to their family. Waiter comes to take their order and they didn't even know he's standing there, he had to interrupt to ask them for their order. I won't allow phones or tablets at the table, ever. My kid is too young for a cell phone but when the time comes I won't tolerate that at all. How much phone tech do we really need in the car, it's already a major problem border line epidemic. I ride a motorcycle and maybe this is my I'm very sensitive to drivers being distracted being I've had some close calls with idiots fumbling with their radios and phones.

·
Registered
838 Posts
It is kind of ironic that the tech designed to prevent a crash from a distracted driver, is quickly become its own distraction. But I guess that's ok as long as it prevents the crash that its distraction is about to cause....every time.

But in the end, I think a proper statistical analysis would demonstrate a significant overall reduction in the number of crashes ('per vehicle', to eliminate influence from the huge increase in traffic volume compared to pre-tech days). Even though the number of "potential" crashes would be greatly increased by excess distraction, there would likely be an extremely high overall success rate of potential crash avoidance because of that tech doing exactly what it was designed to do.

Hey uscgmac, I started this post before yours landed, so I didn't read yours until I posted mine. So none of this is in response to your post. In fact I agree with you...way too much face-in-fone time, as I like to call it. And of course it pisses me off every time I see someone looking down at their phone while driving. But it pisses me off more that so f*king many people do it every day!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
All worth it and works great...except for the lane keep assist. It's not the best system, jerks you around a lot.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Yeah, lane assist is really the fist step towards autonomy. Sensors detecting objects and closing speeds is one thing, but cameras looking for road markings is whole different story. Which is why fully autonomous vehicles might be further off than everyone thinks. It's that interaction with unknown conditions and unexpected changes that comes from the existing infrastructure we must drive on that's so difficult to overcome. I mean how exactly will an autonomous vehicle possibly drive in a snowstorm?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Sorry for the long winded posts...I tend to get chatty when I'm high, and I have nobody else to talk to :cool:

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts
IMHO, yes, worth it. I would probably turn off the backup auto-braking simply because I'm a "back-in parker" person, but otherwise, cross-path and blind spot have saved my bacon many times on the highway and parking lots when idiots at high rates of speed appeared "out of nowhere". The vehicle warned me well before my brain registered them being where they were not even visible prior.

·
Premium Member
3,242 Posts
1000% worth it.

The blind spot detection alone is worth it when in heavy crazy traffic and you need to change lanes - you can keep your eyes forward more. Miami has some really really really bad drivers who are NOT known to be courteous and are 97% out of blinker fluid and 20% have a non-functioning center brake light (even on new vehicles - they must disable them or something).

I haven't really used the new lane keep assist feature yet but I suppose that feature would be good on long interstate trips. The rest of the safety tech features are really good too.

When I drive a relative's GC without it, I realize just how important they are. One accident avoided and it will have paid for itself - not to mention if you're injured. If you think about it, being in a vehicle is one of the most dangerous things the vast majority of people do. How many people have you known that have died in car accidents or have been in serious car accidents (with or without serious injuries)? If you stop and think about, I am sure you will have a long list. I know I do.

Reactions: Jim_in_PA

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys. I’m a newbie to this forum. From Houston TX. Just got my 2018 WK2 3 weeks who and I’m loving every moment of it! I have a question that hopefully some of you GC owners have experienced. My WK2 did not include the Jeep Advanced Active Safety package (LDS, ACC, etc.) so I asked my dealers aftermarket department if it is available to be added on and what’s the cost. They told me that it’s not an easy task and that the wiring harness would have to be changed to incorporate the extra sensors, and that it can run me into a huge expense. I accepted that answer until just now when I saw another dealer offering the exact same WK2 model with the Jeep safety features as an add on package for around US $1500, I tried contacting help customer care and Mopar to inquire about adding this feature but they were no help at all. Have any of you guys tried or done this upgrade? Is my dealer right?

Thanks in advance
Kyle

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Hey guys. I’m a newbie to this forum. From Houston TX. Just got my 2018 WK2 3 weeks who and I’m loving every moment of it! I have a question that hopefully some of you GC owners have experienced. My WK2 did not include the Jeep Advanced Active Safety package (LDS, ACC, etc.) so I asked my dealers aftermarket department if it is available to be added on and what’s the cost. They told me that it’s not an easy task and that the wiring harness would have to be changed to incorporate the extra sensors, and that it can run me into a huge expense. I accepted that answer until just now when I saw another dealer offering the exact same WK2 model with the Jeep safety features as an add on package for around US $1500, I tried contacting help customer care and Mopar to inquire about adding this feature but they were no help at all. Have any of you guys tried or done this upgrade? Is my dealer right?

Thanks in advance
Kyle

Yes, the Active Safety Group is available for about $1,500 from the factory, but it also requires you to purchase the cross path detection and Luxury Group II packages. In addition the front radar sensor used to list for about $1,600 if you were to purchase it from the parts department. So you could do it yourself, but you would likely find the cost to be very expensive.

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } E. JEEP ACTIVE SAFETY GROUP (AJ1) (requires XAN and AHN) (MSRP $1,495 / INV. $1,331)

• Adaptive Cruise Control W/stop (NH#)
  • Advanced Brake Assist (BGG)
  • Full Speed Fwd Collision Warn Plus (LSU)
  • Lane Departure Warning Plus (LAS)
  • Parallel & Perp Park Assist W/stop (XH5)
  • Rain Sensitive Windshield Wipers (JHC)

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts
KCHang, it really isn't practical to add something that extensive to a vehicle that didn't come with it from the factory. It's complex and requires a lot of expensive parts...and likely a whole lot of ripping apart the vehicle to install it if it was even possible. As azzolij mentions, just ONE of the required parts costs more than the whole option from the factory.

I'm not sure what that other dealer is actually offering, but it's suspect as to being the fully OEM setup unless they are merely saying "we can order a vehicle for you with the package" which coincidently costs $1500 normally. (Plus the required other packages as already mentioned)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, the Active Safety Group is available for about $1,500 from the factory, but it also requires you to purchase the cross path detection and Luxury Group II packages. In addition the front radar sensor used to list for about $1,600 if you were to purchase it from the parts department. So you could do it yourself, but you would likely find the cost to be very expensive.

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } E. JEEP ACTIVE SAFETY GROUP (AJ1) (requires XAN and AHN) (MSRP $1,495 / INV. $1,331)

• Adaptive Cruise Control W/stop (NH#)
  • Advanced Brake Assist (BGG)
  • Full Speed Fwd Collision Warn Plus (LSU)
  • Lane Departure Warning Plus (LAS)
  • Parallel & Perp Park Assist W/stop (XH5)
  • Rain Sensitive Windshield Wipers (JHC)

Thanks for the info azzolij!! Just to clarify... The package you mentioned for 1500$ includes the radar sensor? Or is it that I have to purchase it separately for the $1600 plus pay for the packages @1500$? Does it matter which dealer I bought the Jeep from or can I go to any Jeep authorizes dealer and have this done?

·
Registered
9 Posts
KCHang, it really isn't practical to add something that extensive to a vehicle that didn't come with it from the factory. It's complex and requires a lot of expensive parts...and likely a whole lot of ripping apart the vehicle to install it if it was even possible. As azzolij mentions, just ONE of the required parts costs more than the whole option from the factory.

I'm not sure what that other dealer is actually offering, but it's suspect as to being the fully OEM setup unless they are merely saying "we can order a vehicle for you with the package" which coincidently costs $1500 normally. (Plus the required other packages as already mentioned)
Jim_in_PA I appreciate the reply. Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts