Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought a 2018 Jeep Compass last year (2020) and it was running perfectly fine but around Christmas it started to have issues starting. The start/ stop system became unavailable, warning lights for; Dynamic Torque steering service required, service ESC system, service forward collision warning, lane sense unavailable and every other light possible! I took it into Jeep as it was under warranty and they said they could not find any faults with the battery or the car/ code, so they replaced the starter motor and said it was most likely bad weather. However it has since happened twice (in warm weather), once even hours away from home, which isn’t ideal! The car would refuse to start while the warning lights display for at least 15 minutes.
I was wondering if any one else has had a similar problem??
Many thanks,
Yaz

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
You need to supply more information.
For instance did you yourself scan or have the PCM scanned by an auto parts store for those multiple CEL messages?
How could they find nothing wrong with all those CEL messages on the instrument panel?
I strongly advise taking it to another dealership where they know what the hell they're doing before your B/B warranty expires if not already.

When you say it won't start, what does that mean?....the engine cranks or not cranks?

Based on all the CEL's and multiple issues you got there's something serious going on and needs to be diagnosed by a professional tech and apparently none exist at the dealership you took it to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You need to supply more information.
For instance did you yourself scan or have the PCM scanned by an auto parts store for those multiple CEL messages?
How could they find nothing wrong with all those CEL messages on the instrument panel?
I strongly advise taking it to another dealership where they know what the hell they're doing before your B/B warranty expires if not already.

When you say it won't start, what does that mean?....the engine cranks or not cranks?

Based on all the CEL's and multiple issues you got there's something serious going on and needs to be diagnosed by a professional tech and apparently none exist at the dealership you took it to.
Hi,

I took it to an official Jeep dealership since the issue has started, as it is covered under warranty and they said the issue didn’t occur at the time they were in possession of the vehicle. There fix was to replace the starter motor, which seemed to be a waste of time as it didn’t fix the issue. However, I have been advised by another person who works in the industry to remain at the official Jeep garage I originally took it too, as if they do eventually find the problem, there is a clear issue with their service department. Especially if they sent me away with a faulty car! I have booked it in for another look for next Tuesday and hopefully they can sort it before I go university :/
When I try to start the vehicle as the warning signs display, the engine doesn’t crank and it doesn’t make any attempt to start.
Thanks,
Yaz

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
.....The start/ stop system became unavailable, warning lights for; Dynamic Torque steering service required, service ESC system, service forward collision warning, lane sense unavailable and every other light possible!.....
.......they said the issue didn’t occur at the time they were in possession of the vehicle.....
While its possible a bad starter motor could cause the no start issue but i have a hard time believing it could cause all of the above issues.....unless there's the unlikely situation that the motor had a short circuit condition dropping the battery voltage below the voltage threshold required by the PCM and other modules trashing the CAN bus.
Anyhow its a moot point as the starter motor replacement didn't fix the problems.

Its your choice if you want to stick with that dealership but i'd keep in mind the '3 strikes you're out' rule.
Your dealership already has one strike against them.
Make sure you save all the paperwork.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.