Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had to have my '15 ED WK2 flat-bed towed into the dealer last week as about an hour after I got home, my wife noticed that my Jeep was leaking all over the garage floor of our relatively still new 17-month-old house. The Service Advisor from my selling dealer says the part that they had to order from Detroit was called the "Water Inlet Tube" going to the "turbocharger," but the only part like that that I can find goes to the EGR, (perhaps he was given the wrong information by the tech?)

I'm wondering if he is perhaps referring to MOPAR# 68150084AA?

I spoke with the service advisor yesterday afternoon and he said the tech was working on my truck and I should be able to pick it up the next day, (which is today.) I used my Uconnect app and saw where the vehicle was at the dealership. Later that evening, I pulled up the app again and expecting to see the truck still at the dealership instead, it was showing 20 miles NE of me way out in some rural residence a county over. And I’m just under 20 miles north of the dealership as it is.

By this time it was already 7:30 in the evening and as you would imagine there was no one still around in the service department. I first called Jeep customer care to express my displeasure, and then back to the dealer where I was at least able to have a salesman go out in the back and see if they could find my Jeep because as I explained to them, I wasn't sure if my Jeep had been stolen or not. I called the local Sheriff (again, a county over from where I'm at,) and they sent a deputy out to the residence where Uconnect was saying it was at, but there was a gate off the rural highway with a long drive to the house, and a handful of large dogs otherwise preventing him from going any further, without turning on the siren (said he had his lights on and with all dogs barking, tried to get someone from the residence to come out,) and waking everybody up.

As I learned this morning, unbeknownst to me and without my approval, he had authorized the tech to take my Jeep home with him last night to the tech's private private residence because “he says” (I get the impression that is what the tech told the SA,) they needed to do a "manual regeneration 60 miles." He says it was required for the parts that they had to remove and reinstall. (I’m thinking that I’d like to see a copy of the tech pub that calls for that because it sounds unnecessary.) Says it is standard procedure by MOPAR to do this on all repair to turbo and EGR system.

So this tech took my Jeep to his personal residence way out in the rural country, (nearly driving right by my own residence,) in another county, 45 miles away from the dealer, one-way. He apologized for not telling me about this before hand and said he would make it up to me when I came in to pick up my Jeep later this afternoon, but I’m not sure what would make this right for me.

Even at the IRS mileage deduction rate for 2017 at 53.5¢ a mile, $48 doesn’t begin to make up for it. He offered to fill it up with Diesel and DEF, (I declined on the DEF because I only like to keep it about half-full so it doesn’t go bad sitting in there.) This is a loaded Summit, 4x4, with the blu-ray player, the California appearance package, $61k MSRP. Am I the only one who would not be happy that the dealer put 100+ miles on my truck without my permission?

Attachments

·
Registered
515 Posts
I had to have my '15 ED WK2 flat-bed towed into the dealer last week as about an hour after I got home, my wife noticed that my Jeep was leaking all over the garage floor of our relatively still new 17-month-old house. The Service Advisor from my selling dealer says the part that they had to order from Detroit was called the "Water Inlet Tube" going to the "turbocharger," but the only part like that that I can find goes to the EGR, (perhaps he was given the wrong information by the tech?)

I'm wondering if he is perhaps referring to MOPAR# 68150084AA?

I spoke with the service advisor yesterday afternoon and he said the tech was working on my truck and I should be able to pick it up the next day, (which is today.) I used my Uconnect app and saw where the vehicle was at the dealership. Later that evening, I pulled up the app again and expecting to see the truck still at the dealership instead, it was showing 20 miles NE of me way out in some rural residence a county over. And I’m just under 20 miles north of the dealership as it is.

By this time it was already 7:30 in the evening and as you would imagine there was no one still around in the service department. I first called Jeep customer care to express my displeasure, and then back to the dealer where I was at least able to have a salesman go out in the back and see if they could find my Jeep because as I explained to them, I wasn't sure if my Jeep had been stolen or not. I called the local Sheriff (again, a county over from where I'm at,) and they sent a deputy out to the residence where Uconnect was saying it was at, but there was a gate off the rural highway with a long drive to the house, and a handful of large dogs otherwise preventing him from going any further, without turning on the siren (said he had his lights on and with all dogs barking, tried to get someone from the residence to come out,) and waking everybody up.

As I learned this morning, unbeknownst to me and without my approval, he had authorized the tech to take my Jeep home with him last night to the tech's private private residence because “he says” (I get the impression that is what the tech told the SA,) they needed to do a "manual regeneration 60 miles." He says it was required for the parts that they had to remove and reinstall. (I’m thinking that I’d like to see a copy of the tech pub that calls for that because it sounds unnecessary.) Says it is standard procedure by MOPAR to do this on all repair to turbo and EGR system.

So this tech took my Jeep to his personal residence way out in the rural country, (nearly driving right by my own residence,) in another county, 45 miles away from the dealer, one-way. He apologized for not telling me about this before hand and said he would make it up to me when I came in to pick up my Jeep later this afternoon, but I’m not sure what would make this right for me.

Even at the IRS mileage deduction rate for 2017 at 53.5¢ a mile, $48 doesn’t begin to make up for it. He offered to fill it up with Diesel and DEF, (I declined on the DEF because I only like to keep it about half-full so it doesn’t go bad sitting in there.) This is a loaded Summit, 4x4, with the blu-ray player, the California appearance package, $61k MSRP. Am I the only one who would not be happy that the dealer put 100+ miles on my truck without my permission?

Well I had the same repair done one mine. This is what the hose looks like

ImageUploadedByJeepGarage1495033037.914312.jpg

It is the turbo inlet coolant feed line. If the rubber hose splits the coolant comes pouring out. Repair of this involves the removal of the intake manifold, as this piece sits in the valley underneath. It is a 5 hour process to remove and another 5 to replace it. You also need new high pressure fuel lines since the old ones can't be reused.

Mine broke down out of state and I was compensated with the IRS rate for travel to and from the dealer. Not a whole lot else you can do. If you're that upset I'd get Jeep Cares involved and they usually make it better.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well I had the same repair done one mine. This is what the hose looks like

View attachment 132042

It is the turbo inlet coolant feed line. If the rubber hose splits the coolant comes pouring out. Repair of this involves the removal of the intake manifold, as this piece sits in the valley underneath. It is a 5 hour process to remove and another 5 to replace it. You also need new high pressure fuel lines since the old ones can't be reused.

Mine broke down out of state and I was compensated with the IRS rate for travel to and from the dealer. Not a whole lot else you can do. If you're that upset I'd get Jeep Cares involved and they usually make it better.

Thanks for the pic. Is this a weak link in our Jeeps, perhaps a part not up to the spec called out by the engineer who designed it? Is this going to fail again on me in the future? (Only have 20k lightly used miles on it.) How come I can't find this on the online parts search, is it under the EGR SYSTEM, TURBOCHARGER, OR INTERCOOLER group?

Also, they said nothing about replacing the HP fuel lines - and they already drove it last night 90+ miles. What's up with that? (Edit) they said they replaced the intake manifold gasket but there was no need to replace the HP fuel lines. Which dealer do you believe is correct? :)

I also fail to understand where the MOPAR procedure calls for the dealer to drive it for a long drive to get the regen (assuming they are referring to the DPF,) to come back on. I don't understand why I couldn't just do that on my drive back home?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Thanks for the pic. How come I can't find this on the online parts search, is it under the EGR SYSTEM, TURBOCHARGER, OR INTERCOOLER group?

I also fail to understand where the MOPAR procedure calls for the dealer to drive it for a long drive to get the regen (assuming they are referring to the DPF,) to come back on. I don't understand why I couldn't just do that on my drive back home?

There isn't a procedure and I'm pretty sure it's bullshit. When I had mine done there wasn't any driving to clear the DPF filter. And I'm pretty sure the part is under turbocharger

·
Registered
49 Posts
As I was driving home the other day, the overheat warning came on. I limped it to the dealer using about a gallon of water. They found it was this hose to the turbo, a known problem. The replacement was backordered, but it only took only 3 days to find one. From what I was told, they’ve updated the design. It certainly took a while to install. It took 14 parts and two weeks to do (the diesel tech doesn't work weekends, or Monday, or Tuesday if his truck won't start. Not sure I trust a tech who's truck won't start). This is the second time in two years it’s been in the shop. I hope this isn’t a pattern. What’s going to fail next year?

·
Registered
515 Posts
As I was driving home the other day, the overheat warning came on. I limped it to the dealer using about a gallon of water. They found it was this hose to the turbo, a known problem. The replacement was backordered, but it only took only 3 days to find one. From what I was told, they’ve updated the design. It certainly took a while to install. It took 14 parts and two weeks to do (the diesel tech doesn't work weekends, or Monday, or Tuesday if his truck won't start. Not sure I trust a tech who's truck won't start). This is the second time in two years it’s been in the shop. I hope this isn’t a pattern. What’s going to fail next year?

It hasn't failed twice has it? The coolant turbo line? Surprised that others have had this issue. When did you get yours repaired? Did they say what they did to update the part?

·
Registered
563 Posts
As documented on this site, I had major, major issues with my former 2014 GC. We'd get it back from the dealer, it would die on the road again, and we'd have it towed back. We had it for about 3000 miles. About 1000 miles was put on by the dealer & staff, "putting miles on the car to make sure it was fixed." Granted, our issue was not a specific "we know exactly what it is, and it's fixed," like yours. It was more "it's fixed," but then we'd find out it wasn't. After a couple times, they started letting the techs take our brand new GC home with them. Once, we were without the vehicle for a few weeks. They put a couple hundred miles on our $40K new vehicle while we were in a Town & Country. Yeah, I was a little burned about that. But I think this probably happens quite a bit - techs being told to bring home vehicles to test things out. Good luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It hasn't failed twice has it? The coolant turbo line? Surprised that others have had this issue. When did you get yours repaired? Did they say what they did to update the part?

Last time the whole engine blew up. This time it just sprang a leak. No, they didn't tell me what the update was, just that it was an updated part.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
That hose looks like it was made in Guam. Seriously, that looks like a cobble job.

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I think it's absolutely insane that it's nylon braided and not steel braided.

Not when you are trying to be the lowest bidder on a high volume project....

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I think it's absolutely insane that it's nylon braided and not steel braided.

Absolutely! It sits in the valley underneath the intake manifold, you have to remove it and the high-pressure fuel lines, as well as the turbo and the EGR (I'm told) to get it out. They told me the turbo had to have the coolant that spilled into it cleaned out, and that is why they needed to do a manual regen (still waiting to resolve that with Jeep and the dealer.) I was told they were allocated 7 hours for the warranty work. Absolutely insane that part is not better protected with something as simple and relatively inexpensive as steel braiding.

And what was the excuse for it breaking in the first place? Nobody knows.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here's one for you guys.
I believe my 2014 JGC with 83,000 miles on it had this issue (will verify in an hour at the dealership). I've been told by the dealer that this is not covered by the 100,000 mi powertrain warranty. He has stated a 28 hour repair for this hose. They have to drop the engine out to get to it. also $4,300 bill. From what I have read here the engine doesn't have to be dropped. I'll keep you guys informed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just got back from the dealer on my 2014 JGC and it's turbo coolant hose leak. From what I was told, FCA does not have a procedure to replace this hose and this dealership does it by dropping the engine. I also emailed FCA on upgrading the hose that no one can get at. I'm not looking forward to $4,300 every 4 years. It sounds like the ram 1500 diesel is even harder.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Just got back from the dealer on my 2014 JGC and it's turbo coolant hose leak. From what I was told, FCA does not have a procedure to replace this hose and this dealership does it by dropping the engine. I also emailed FCA on upgrading the hose that no one can get at. I'm not looking forward to $4,300 every 4 years. It sounds like the ram 1500 diesel is even harder.

Complete BS this hose isn’t covered by the power train warranty. I would love to hear that argument.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Complete BS this hose isn’t covered by the power train warranty. I would love to hear that argument.
You would be amazed at what they come up with regarding coverage. I recently had an injector failure. It's a $500 part. To my surprise, the powertrain warranty does not cover it as it's defined as an "external" part to the engine. My dealer researched it and found out that, oddly enough, the emissions warranty covers it, so no out of pocket thanks to my dealer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
farfromovin, I asked the same question. This is what the dealer had to say, No warranty will cover hoses. I can understand a little for the hoses that a normal person can get at and change in front of the engine. This being in a place that you can't even see it without removing the intake manifold or in my case lowering the engine. I have informed FCA what is going on and I'll see what happens. I even looked into the owners manual and it says nothing about inspecting a hose under the turbo. Just to let all you other people know of this weakness in the turbo coolant hoses and in FCA warranty.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Here's one for you guys.
I believe my 2014 JGC with 83,000 miles on it had this issue (will verify in an hour at the dealership). I've been told by the dealer that this is not covered by the 100,000 mi powertrain warranty. He has stated a 28 hour repair for this hose. They have to drop the engine out to get to it. also $4,300 bill. From what I have read here the engine doesn't have to be dropped. I'll keep you guys informed.
This is reason #1 to HAVE Maxcare and reason #2 to send this puppy down the road when Maxcare expires. It doesn't have normal bills when things go south... like this instance or when DPF's are finally shot or QL compressors or injectors or...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Stbentoak
Good to hear you have extra coverage. For your own peace of mind, you may want to see it Maxcare calls out specifically "all coolant hoses". If it does, my dealer is telling me a story I don't like. He says no warranty (including extended coverage) covers hoses.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Here's a list of all Maxcare covered hoses... I'm pretty sure it's covered !

Hose assembly, emission control
Hose assembly, emission control vacuum
Hose assembly, pressure/return
Hose assembly, vacuum cntrl
Hose or bleed “T”
Hose rear heater
Hose, air cleaner
Hose, air horn supply
Hose, anti-lock brake
Hose, brake flexible
Hose, crackcase closed vent
Hose, fuel flex
Hose, fuel tank filler
Hose, heater
Hose, high pressure fuel
Hose, manifold pressure
Hose, power brake vacuum
Hose, pump press
Hose, pump return
Hose, pump supply
Hose, radiator lower
Hose, radiator upper
Hose, rear flexible brake
Hose, recovery bottle
Hose, secondary air supply
Hose, sped control vacuum
Hose, transaxle cooler
Hose, turbocharger
Hose, vacuum control
Hose, vacuum pump bypass
Hose, vapor canister
Hose, washer, wndshl/rr wndw
Hose, wastegate vacuum
Hose, water pump to intake
Hose/bleed tee
Hose/pipe, fuel tank vent
Hose/tube, air cond
Hose/tube, discharge
Hose/tube, rear NC
Hose/tube, suction/liquid hose
Hose/tube, to evaporator
Hoses and tubes
Hoses and tubes, air conditioning
Hoses discharge/liquid
Hoses, air conditioning rear
Hoses, ATC
Hoses, inside sensor

I'd say Maxcare would cover it, there are much more wear prone hoses on that list that would be considered wear Items before the one that is defective on yours. That's why after my Maxcare expires at 100K, It's time for a 2020 JGC or on to another brand if no Diesel avail...:cool:

Reactions: philbytx
1 - 20 of 29 Posts