Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
JGC Overland 4X4
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought my 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland back in January of this year. I LOVE it!! But ever since I got it I have had problems. I purchased it from a Chrysler Dodge Jeep & Ram dealership here in Houston with 74,000 miles on it, and paid for the best extended warranty they offered me. Thank God I did, because it's been in the shop 3 times for the same issue, which has been detailed in this thread - HERE

Currently my Jeep is at the dealership I got it from, and they are telling me they need to tear apart the engine to continue the diagnosis, and that I had to authorize this in case my warranty wouldn't cover it. This is ridiculous! I just bought this vehicle a few months ago from them, and now they are tearing my engine apart?! And I don't feel like they are 100% sure that's even the problem.

I reached out to Jeep Cares on here, as well as on the phone and on Facebook to see if they could do anything, and they gave me absolutely nothing but customer service double talk, except for Barbara on the phone who straight up told me they can't do anything because I'm not the original owner and the factory warranty has expired.

I have owned MANY other vehicles, mostly Japanese and European imports, with 100's of thousands of miles on them and NEVER had to have an engine torn down, nor have I had weird vehicle-wide undiagnosable electrical glitches. I really do like this Jeep, but I NEED reliable transportation for my job. Is this what I can expect from FCA and their products?

I would be happy if they would replace the engine and give me a warranty on the new engine, but I'm not even sure if that would fix the issue because there is still the weird electrical glitches. I really don't like the idea of this particular dealership rebuilding my engine, considering they couldn't even get a simple alignment right.

At this point I regret buying the Jeep and kinda wish I could just get my money back. What should I do?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Your problems seem to be dealer related, why are they taking the engine apart and is the engine covered under warranty? Your link isn’t working.

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,629 Posts
Your problems seem to be dealer related, why are they taking the engine apart and is the engine covered under warranty? Your link isn’t working.
He likely got offered a 3rd party warranty and not a FCA backed one like Maxcare.

Those 3rd parties make them take everything apart to prove x did this or w/e they are normally a hassle. Compared to a OEM one.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I would be interested to know how and when that dealer came into possession of it in the first place. Could it possibly be a flood vehicle that was cleaned and deceitfully traded in by a degenerate with no insurance. It happens every time there's a big flood...shitty people try to make a quick profit selling/trading flood damaged vehicles that were never reported to an insurance company.

Just something to think about, considering your location and timing.

Reactions: charlesb2003

·
Registered
737 Posts
As others said that link you posted doesn't seem to work. From what I am seeing it sounds like you bought a used vehicle and the standard factory warranty was expired but you have an extended warranty the dealer sold you. Did you buy the mopar maxcare extended warranty? If so you can call them and ask them what options you have, in fact you can probably do that if you don't have a mopar extended warranty. Somethings I would look into -

Can you take it to a different garage to get service done under your extended warranty. I would want a second opinion for sure.
What exactly is the issue currently that has them wanting to tear the engine apart?

·
Registered
JGC Overland 4X4
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I fixed the link. Basically it's a system wide electrical glitch that causes limp mode and every light on the dash to go on. They replaced the throttle body on my first visit, and the TIPM on my second, and the problem is still exactly the same, only getting worse. On my third visit I brought it in while it was in limp mode and they noticed a metallic knocking sound in the top end of my engine, which is why they are now tearing it apart. They told me I had to authorize this, but that they couldn't guarantee that was even the problem and that they are still trying to diagnose the electrical problem.

This is the same dealership that on the first visit told me I didn't need an alignment even though I offered to pay for one, and the steering wheel is cocked 10 degrees to the left going straight. They performed the alignment on the second visit, but the wheel is still cocked 10 degrees to the left. This does not inspire confidence in their ability to properly perform an engine tear down and rebuild.

Yes it is a third party extended warranty. I should have been more specific when I asked for an extended warranty at the time of sale, and if I had done my research like I should have I would have demanded the Mopar warranty.

I've wondered if it might have been flooded myself. Since it's illegal to sell a flooded car in Texas, and since I asked my salesman at the time of sale if it had been flooded and he said no, how do I go about proving that it was flooded? If it was, someone did an extremely good job cleaning it.

I can understand FCA not wanting to stand behind something with questionable history, but at the same time I feel like they could have at least offered to call the dealership on my behalf or do some research on it or something. They pretty much looked it up in their system and said "you've got no coverage with us, we can't help you" which I felt is terrible business practice and makes me never want to buy an FCA product again.

If my problem is with the dealership and not FCA, I want to have FCA on my side, or at least not against me, and right now it feels like I'm getting screwed from all directions.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Electrical issues sometimes can be traced to a loose ground wire. Have they checked that?

As for the engine knock if they already started tearing the engine apart it's going to be hard to just take your vehicle to another garage.

I hear you about FCA and they may help you with Recalls and such but being a used vehicle with no factory warranty it's hard for them to cover anything. Have you checked wk2jeeps.com tsb and recalls?

Good luck.

·
Lifer: Old Geezer
Overland
4,628 Posts
I would be interested to know how and when that dealer came into possession of it in the first place. Could it possibly be a flood vehicle that was cleaned and deceitfully traded in by a degenerate with no insurance. It happens every time there's a big flood...shitty people try to make a quick profit selling/trading flood damaged vehicles that were never reported to an insurance company.

Just something to think about, considering your location and timing.
Worse, a VIN lookup may not show that the engine gulped in a few gallons of seawater.

Sometimes you can spot artifacts of water, but a good detailer would know how to remove them.

The dealer should be willing to provide a VIN based service history [that typically
only shows dealer service which for a vehicle not on FCA warranty could exclude a
lot] but they may also be able to tell you where that vehicle was last registered, which could be a clue to good/bad news.

As someone noted, the aftermarket warranties are generally worth about enough that they tend to come printed on a roll of toilet paper.

If you price a Hemi replacement, you may want to see if there are any lawyers in the area familiar with that dealer and warranty issues in general, plus they may be able to pry information out of the dealer or dmv that you couldn't. That engine is far from inexpensive.

·
Overland
4,628 Posts
Dashboard christmas tree is the engine?
It is usually related to crappy grounds/connections where a common cause is the ground to the chassis is improperly connected to bare metal.

It would also make me suspect a salt bath, where another mechanic might be willing to check carefully for unusual corrosion around connectors, grounds, etc. not normally there even from road salt.

·
Registered
A hard bargain.
259 Posts
You bought a 7 yo vehicle w/74k miles and a non-mopar warranty. You've had to have the same repairs done several times and been treated crummy by the dealership. Not to sound harsh, but you bought a used car, you should know the risks associated. You didn't do your due diligence to ensure you were getting a mopar warranty; did you pull a Car Fax report?
I tried to see but missed where you tell how much this is costing you? These warranties don't cover much rental either but there is reimbursement - have you gone for that?
Anyway, sorry you're having a crummy time but what I'm reading is par for the course. Personally I've had crummy and good times with the dealer and I do have a 120k Mopar warranty.

·
Registered
JGC Overland 4X4
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again for the replies. I've owned many used cars before, but this is the first one I bought from a dealership that sells that brand of vehicle new. I guess I assumed that because I bought it from a Jeep dealership and asked for their best extended warranty that I would get a Jeep/Mopar/FCA warranty.

Having said that, I contacted MasterTech today, the warranty company, and they were far more helpful than Jeep Cares or FCA was when I called them. Also visited my dismantled Jeep at the dealership today and finally got to speak to the tech doing the work. I actually feel much better about everything now.

MasterTech is going to try to approve an engine replacement, and the tech told me that if they don't he is going to make sure that my engine is rebuilt correctly. He showed me the bad lifters and my camshaft, camshaft looks fine but rollers on lifters were very loose. Otherwise my engine looked pretty good inside. Minimal carbon deposits on the pistons and valves, combustion chambers also look relatively clean. Head gaskets were fine, but of course they will be replaced with new ones now.

As far as the dashboard Christmas tree part, the tech told me that he believes the oil pressure sensor is the culprit, so hopefully changing that and repairing the engine will get me back on the road. The electrical glitches actually worry me more than the engine, because at least with that the problem was clear and easy to diagnose. Chasing electrical gremlins is more challenging, to the point that even with a brand new engine I'm afraid I could still have these problems.

At this point I'm just praying and having faith that everything will be resolved this time, and that I'll get many years and many thousands miles of reliable service once all this is done.

·
Overland
4,628 Posts
You bought a 7 yo vehicle w/74k miles and a non-mopar warranty. You've had to have the same repairs done several times and been treated crummy by the dealership. Not to sound harsh, but you bought a used car, you should know the risks associated. You didn't do your due diligence to ensure you were getting a mopar warranty; did you pull a Car Fax report?
I tried to see but missed where you tell how much this is costing you? These warranties don't cover much rental either but there is reimbursement - have you gone for that?
Anyway, sorry you're having a crummy time but what I'm reading is par for the course. Personally I've had crummy and good times with the dealer and I do have a 120k Mopar warranty.
Used is a crap shoot, where the odds are stacked without good pre-buy checks.
Any used vehicle will typically cost you near 10% of the purchase price to put in top condition... some less, some more--lots more.

My first GC had 82,000 miles. But also was regularly serviced, fluids changed regularly, etc. Lasted for couple hundred K more miles before it was sold to the salesman who sold me a new one.

Having a hard time tracing Xmas tree to engine problems though, unless there is something else wrong with the vehicle.

A good specialty shop may be more willing to deal with it in other than "lets do the most expensive swaps/service first, then look for the cheap pinched cable after the bank account is drained" method.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts