Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
I'm glad you like your jeep! I have the V8 so I don't have as many reservations about the acceleration from a stop. However, it is a very heavy truck so I would imagine with the V6 it would be frustrating, at least for me.

I wasn't low on gas so I don't think that was the problem. I am starting to think that maybe it was the torque converter kicking in. Who knows.
I think you are referring to the "fish bite" feeling... like something is tugging under slight throttle pressure but without downshift. What year is your truck?

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
This is a known issue I can send you the star case later on tonight. I believe it is a programming fix and it was originally slated for August but it looks like it was pushed back to September. The Durango I am driving does the exact same thing so I'm very aware of the problem.

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
I have the same issue (along with a bunch of other issues) with my 13 Laredo X. This has been a known issue for more than two years. They either don't know what's causing it, or don't know how to fix it. Two years is a really long time for a software update, and they keep pushing back the release date. Who knows how much time they are investing in trying to solve the problem? Chrysler has been no help at all. They'll just tell you it's normal operation, when obviously, they know it isn't. No vehicle should do this.
Honestly it is a bit bigger problem than that. I did some testing on the problem and it does not affect anything other than the feel. If you run 89 Octane or better it basically goes away and as that is the fuel they recommend for the Hemi technically they don't need to do anything because if you run the recommended fuel it works fine. I have had the problem get better simply by using different brand fuels as well so it is obviously fuel quality related.

The fact is that any adjustments that they make on the system to fix this will affect Fuel Economy and this particular fix affects a huge range of vehicles and transmission combinations. It is actually being worked on so we will see what happens in September.

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
I am having the "fish bite" problem with my 2011 Grand Cherokee (Hemi) and my garage/dealer says there is nothing they can do about it. This really bugs me since I know the problem is quite common from reading forums. Does anyone know if Chrysler has put out a bulletin/fix for this yet?
Chrysler has put off the update to Q1 2014.

They have also now excluded the 2011s. Make sure your dealer documented it on a work order and you have a written copy of this complaint.

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
It is hard to believe that Chrysler treats customers this way. If you are considering buying a new JGC, I strongly recommend against it. I asked if the new 2014 was any better with the new 8 speed transmission and the service manager told me it was actually worse than the 2013.
Interesting, I have not seen anyone with this concern on the 2014s at all. Trust me we see every problem imaginable... Anyone here have this issue with a 2014?

Yoma, also just a quick question, have you tried running mid-grade fuel for a while in your Hemi? I have the 2011 Durango with this problem I ran premium for a while then switch back to Mid-grade and it is much better. To my knowledge if you have a 2012 or 2013, there is still a fix coming. The updates are always late but ask anyone with the 2014s, reported problems have been seeing updates and resolutions.... Again never heard of this on a 2014.

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
I haven't had to dig in to any problems on a Hemi (haven't owned one - yet), but modern engine computers usually store information about how they're running and adapt to what you feed them. The behavior you saw could have been from needing to let the computer "learn" that you were giving it higher-octane gas so the higher the octane the faster it learned. If so, you could probably shortcut that process by clearing its memory or forcing it in to quick-learn mode.
There is actually a published Star Case on the issue. Padgett is pretty close on the problem but it could be corrected with a programming update.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.