Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone
I have a 2006 Jeep Grand cherokee 3.7 , hada limp mode problem changed first transmission the jeep started pouring transmission oil from the breather hose ! And the jeep was shifting but will get stuck on 3rd gear codes P0700 and P0703 . Took it to a different mechanic he said the transmission oil radiator was blocked he replaced it and he replaced the transmission with another used transmission the jeep is in limp mode again !!!
It s been so frustrating a lot of money consuming... what could be the issue !?

·
Registered
2006 WK Overland
2,184 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I hate seeing crap like this happening to any vehicle owner. The very first thing I'd do is find a GOOD, TRUSTWORTHY mechanic that knows Chrysler products. Why was the first transmission changed? Just because it goes into limp mode doesn't mean it needs to be replaced. What Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) were showing on original first one?

The P0700 DTC is a generic code indicating there is at least one problem with the transmission, the Transmission Control Module (TCM) or inputs received to the TCM from various sensors. The P0703 indicates a problem with the brake light switch and has nothing to do with the transmission unless it relates to the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS).

If, by chance, the DTC is really P0730 instead of P0703, that would indicate an incorrect 3rd gear ratio has been detected. This can be caused by a number of things, but mostly are caused mismatched/wrong size tires, a transmission speed sensor and/or wheel speed sensor is bad or malfunctioning or some sort of ABS malfunction. NONE of these problems should require removal OR replacement of the transmission. How many miles are on the vehicle and had the transmission been regularly serviced? Were there any external fluid leaks (showing on the ground) in the original transmission?

As far as fluid coming out the vent goes, this is very unusual. My guess is they either overfilled the transmission or pinched a cooler line. I'd probably put my $$$ on overfilling, as there is a specific procedure that must be followed to set it correctly.

Good luck with this and please keep us posted on the findings and outcome.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.