1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This supports rumors that it will be related to the Ram 1500

Joel Stocksdale

Apr 26th 2019 at 11:45AM

Things have been quiet on the Jeep Grand Wagoneer full-size SUV front for a while. Aside from a report of a potential Trackhawk model, the last substantive news we had was that the Grand Wagoneer was still happening, but had been delayed by retooling efforts at the Warren Truck Assembly plant where the Ram 1500 is built, with a potential 2021 model year release. Now, though, one of our spy photographers has caught what may be a Grand Wagoneer test mule hidden under a Ram 1500 body.

There are a couple of key things that indicate this is the Jeep not a Ram, with the first being the two big structural members connecting the cab to the back of a significantly shortened bed. These changes may be there to better simulate how a big solid body will react on the chassis. Also suggesting this is a Jeep is the well-hidden rear suspension that, from what we can see, is probably an independent setup. Since the Grand Wagoneer is going to be a larger, more luxurious counterpart to the also independently suspended Grand Cherokee, this makes sense.

Something interesting is how the Ram body seems to fit on this mule platform without any major modification besides the shortened bed. It leads us to believe that the Grand Wagoneer's chassis will be closely related to the Ram 1500, with the exception of the new rear suspension. This is further supported by the fact that it will be produced in the same facility as the Ram 1500. It would make sense to build two very similar vehicles in the same place.

As previously mentioned, we're expecting the Grand Wagoneer to launch as a 2021 model. Previous spy shots of renderings indicate it will look like a larger, more aggressive, chiseled Grand Cherokee. If it's based on the Ram 1500, it will likely share powertrains, meaning at least a 3.6-liter V6 and 5.7-liter V8. Both will probably come with the 48-volt eTorque hybrid assist system and an eight-speed automatic transmission.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/26/jeep-grand-wagoneer-ram-test-mule-spy-photos/

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,857 Posts
It's not a rumor. I told u guys a year ago it was gonna be based on the ram dt platform.

Reactions: Hemi345

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,857 Posts
Any thoughts about the IRS?
Will we see a trailhawk version?
It's on the mule...so probably.

No idea on packages yet. I believe milous posted the 6.4 would be used and possibly the 6.2.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
https://www.motortrend.com/news/is-this-a-mule-for-the-upcoming-ram-midsize-pickup-truck/

Ranger Fighter: Is This Ram's Dakota Midsize Successor? UPDATE: Probably not
by Words: Alex Nishimoto Photos: Austin Cronkrite June 12, 2019

UPDATE: We may have jumped the gun with our Dodge Dakota successor theory, as previous spy shots of a similar prototype show what appears to be an independent rear suspension setup. It's more likely a mule for the upcoming Jeep Grand Wagoneer, which will be built at FCA's Warren truck plant and is likely to share basic architecture with the Ram 1500. Still, a cool sight to see in our own neighborhood.

·
Registered
JGC Altittude
1,261 Posts
Funny. I had said some time ago they should make it full size like a Tahoe or expedition. If it's based on a ram body consider it a done deal for me. 6.4 hemi why not.

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,857 Posts
Weve been saying full size for a long time.

·
Premium Member
Dah! My Jeeps
762 Posts
So will this start selling as a 21 model late 2020 or later?

6.4 liter engine 8 speed auto I'll have mine in destroyer gray please :cool:

·
The Negotiator
2017 WK2 3.6L
5,310 Posts
So will this start selling as a 21 model late 2020 or later?

6.4 liter engine 8 speed auto I'll have mine in destroyer gray please :cool:
Scott or Milous got any info on this? Can't believe the news has been this quiet on this thing. If is the same size as a Tahoe and still looks somewhat like the GC, I will be sold.

As much as I look at other brands for my next vehicle I keep coming back to Jeep..Appeal, price, driving of them are hard to beat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Scott or Milous got any info on this? Can't believe the news has been this quiet on this thing. If is the same size as a Tahoe and still looks somewhat like the GC, I will be sold.

As much as I look at other brands for my next vehicle I keep coming back to Jeep..Appeal, price, driving of them are hard to beat.
As awesome as it sounds I do not believe we are looking at a 2021 MY vehicle. I know I've said this before but when you have early stage mules running around now, there is no way to have this far enough along to launch before MY 2022. Take a look at all of the other 2021 vehicles that are already being shown off in near-production level now (ie. all of the GM large SUV's this will go against). FCA, unfortunately, cannot produce new vehicles in the timelines they layout. Remember, this was supposedly coming since, what, MY 2017 at this point?

·
The Negotiator
2017 WK2 3.6L
5,310 Posts
As awesome as it sounds I do not believe we are looking at a 2021 MY vehicle. I know I've said this before but when you have early stage mules running around now, there is no way to have this far enough along to launch before MY 2022. Take a look at all of the other 2021 vehicles that are already being shown off in near-production level now (ie. all of the GM large SUV's this will go against). FCA, unfortunately, cannot produce new vehicles in the timelines they layout. Remember, this was supposedly coming since, what, MY 2017 at this point?
I see your point but then I point back to the MY2014. Those were muled in 2013 and ready for production in early 2014. They could be doing the MY 2022 in Jan/Feb next year. I was only saying that it has been 9 months since Scott/Milous really gave any update on this so what hoping for something new.

·
The Negotiator
2017 WK2 3.6L
5,310 Posts
Scott,
With what is all going on is there any word on on the Wagoneeer / Grand Wagoneer at all? Like are we looking at 2-3yrs out before this things becomes available for purchase?

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,857 Posts
no sir....the wl and ws have been pushed back about 3 months...thats its.

·
The Negotiator
2017 WK2 3.6L
5,310 Posts
no sir....the wl and ws have been pushed back about 3 months...thats its.
So are we hopefully to start getting some more news on this or are we a ways out?

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,857 Posts
The news should start rolling in....

Reactions: BigWave
1 - 15 of 15 Posts