Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
It was my understanding that it was on all transmissions.

The shifting is actually the NV245 transfercase shifting into neutral.

Apparently, there is the possibility of a short causing a biased voltage to be picked up by (I think) the FDCM, which misinterprets the signal as a request to shift the transfercase into neutral.

I'm guessing the dealers are just going to re-program the software to not consider those conditions as a request to shift.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I heard almost 500k were recalled with about 300k in the US.idk if it's a the same problem but there have been a couple times where I started mine,put it in drive right away,gave it gas and it acted like it was in neutral for a second.guess we will see!
That sounds like your torque converter is draining over time. This could be normal (if the delay is very short after the vehicle has been sitting for a while), or indicative of a problem with the spin-on type filter in the transmission pan. Have you had your trans serviced and these filters replaced? Some of the 2005's had a defect in this filter that would cause the symptoms you describe.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I would think this 'repair' is going to update the PCM to the newest software if you just let them do the recall.

I think the TC shift actuator is controlled by the PCM. If that's the case, they are going to have to flash the whole thing with the newest software regardless (since they aren't going to fix each earlier rendition with added software, and just upgrade everyone with the patched software).

If it is the FDCM that they are flashing, I suppose it is possible that they could do one without the other. Hopefully once the official notice comes out they are more specific on what part of the software they are fixing.

·
Registered
989 Posts
OK guys, fair warning to anyone who goes and gets this recall done after reading this. It turns out that my WK's troubles aren't the first my dealer has heard of. My Jeep is the second WK at this specific dealership to exhibit MAJOR issues after the flash, and the other WK is much worse off than mine (huge electrical issues, shutting down, all controls blipping, etc). I've taken extensive documentation on this process, and the Chrysler mechanic says that Chrysler is "aware" of the problem, and that there was a problem with the flash that they pushed, but it's only sporadically affecting certain Jeeps. Unfortunately, they do not know what the issue with my Jeep or the other Jeep actually is. This means that the issue is likely at least fairly widespread. Supposedly they're going to start throwing parts at mine, which will start with electrical, then mechanical, etc. The part that they're starting with on mine is the module and/or the actual actuator which engages 4WD in my transfer case. Unfortunately, this part, as with every Chrysler part anyone ever tries to order, is on national backorder. They tell me that AT EARLIEST they'll get the part by December 1, but of course, they have NO CLUE if that will fix the issue.:banghead: Until it's fixed, I'm in a loaner vehicle (Chrysler 200), which REALLY SUCKS because it's about to be winter here in MO and "there will be snow." I'm livid with Jeep right now and am starting to collect as much info as I can because I think I'm going to put my formal legal training to use, if you know what I mean.:mad: Basically, be warned, and FML.
Thanks for the detailed reports.

Hopefully they'll get things sorted out, and at least they are providing a loaner and are willing to work with you on things.

I have heard of others that received no help from the dealership and are eating the repair costs themselves (at least for the moment).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.