Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the WL not arriving until calendar year 2021 and the Model Y arriving calendar year 2020, I will be taking a hard look at the Model Y before buying a WL. Seeing it online has me interested. The Model X didn't do it for me especially at that price with the complicated falcon wing rear doors and my parking garage arrangement.

Any WK2 owners out there that also own a Tesla? If so, what are your thoughts on the two?

·
Premium Member
Jeep Grand Cherokee
2,600 Posts
I bought my WK2 for long trips, much of it on outback dirt roads pulling a camper trailer and some off-road driving so for me, an electric car is as yet out of the question.

·
Super Moderator
8,155 Posts
I think that @mswlogo has a Tesla if I'm not mistaken.

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that @mswlogo has a Tesla if I'm not mistaken.
Yeah, I remember. He loves his Tesla. A Model Y wouldn't be for all WK2 owners, obviously, as some do some heavy off road and remote uses. Maybe for them as a second vehicle. For me, it could work as a primary vehicle. The negative is the Model Y has the simplified dashboard versus the better one in the S and X. Model Y has an impressive performance version and all the techie stuff at a decent price. I look forward to a test drive... might test drive a Model 3 beforehand since similar interiors.

·
Super Moderator
8,155 Posts
While the Model Y is supposedly going to be available in 2020, there's every bit the likely scenario where it will be delayed and because of anticipated demand (because it's an affordable SUV type EV), the wait may be long. Be sure to factor that into your plans. It and WL could arrive at about the same time...assuming the latter stays on the anticipated schedule that Scott expressed in the WL forum area.

·
Registered
2018 Grand Cherokee
64 Posts
I have a Model S. It has a lot of issues compared to my Grand Cherokee which has had none. Drives beautifully, though not as smooth as the GC (my tesla doesn't have the air suspension). You never get sick of the instant torque and autopilot is pretty fun.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,674 Posts
Check the Insurance Rates for both, if you can't because they aren't being sold yet, then compare insurance rates of similar models of the same brand.....

What little I know of Telsa's, they have a huge hurdle of supporting vehicles in the field, especially with body work from collisions.... ....there has been much ado about totalled brand new Telsa's being sold at Insurance Auctions with only a dented quarter panel.... ....the expense of repairing the quarter panel was so high they totalled the brand new car... ...which has lead to the speculation and some reports of insurance company's admitting, they are going to have to raise rates on Telsa's.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Model Y (compact) wouldn't fall into the same SUV class as a JGC (midsize). Think more competitive to Mazda CX-5 or Porche Macan. I would also be extremely wary to new model cars, even more so with a newish car company. Tesla so far has a poor track record for quality and repairability on the first years of their models. Upside is Model Y should be an improvement since it is mainly based on the M3, but as mentioned above, demand will be high and spare parts specific to Y will be nearly impossible to get for years. When I look for another car in 8-10 years I think Tesla will be mature enough.

·
Premium Member
Jeep Grand Cherokee
2,600 Posts
Model Y (compact) wouldn't fall into the same SUV class as a JGC (midsize). Think more competitive to Mazda CX-5 or Porche Macan. I would also be extremely wary to new model cars, even more so with a newish car company. Tesla so far has a poor track record for quality and repairability on the first years of their models. Upside is Model Y should be an improvement since it is mainly based on the M3, but as mentioned above, demand will be high and spare parts specific to Y will be nearly impossible to get for years. When I look for another car in 8-10 years I think Tesla will be mature enough.
I knew they were expensive to repair but didn't know about the reliability so I checked, see https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeanbaptiste/2018/10/26/tesla-cars-may-be-the-safest-in-america-but-fail-in-reliability-consumer-reports/#31a0f222416d . OK, all cars have their teething troubles but I suspect things won't get much better and maybe even worse with the existing model Teslas. No one really knows what they'll do with many miles on them.

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the feedback. Definitely need to review the insurance costs to see if out of line. I have read where the Model 3 is more reliable than the other Tesla models, probably because less complicated frills. The Model Y is projected to be their biggest seller by far and I am sure that will be true. Game plan will be to test drive one when it comes out and if love it will order one after the WL debuts which would give time to see the WL and also for new production bugs to be worked out of the Model Y if that is the decision. The Model Y is based on the Model 3 so they should have most of the issues worked out already. Probably 60%+ chance I go with WL but always look around before committing to purchase...and always have come back to the Grand Cherokee for numerous reasons. One factor is setting up charging station at a condo....very expensive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In addition to our 2016 WK2 we also own a 2013 Tesla Model S. It is by far the most fun car we've ever owned. You never get tired of the instant torque and the stealth acceleration. It drives beautifully (we have the air suspension) and repairs have been minimal (we had the drive train replaced under warranty - all other repairs were very minor. Our Tesla does not have any of the bells and whistles of today's models but I love driving too much to care about Autopilot and see no need to upgrade at this point in time. I'm pretty sure once you test drive a Model Y you will be hooked.

·
Premium Member
Jeep Grand Cherokee
2,600 Posts
Are we being trolled by Tesla?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts