Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to vent. This morning I did an oil and filter change on my 2015 Grand Cherokee with it's 5.7 HEMI V-8. It's about the 4th one I've done so far. There are 2 things that annoy me the most. The first is the oil filter location. It's located to where you cannot get a strap wrench on the filter, and locate it to where the handle isn't interfered with so you can get some leverage on the thing.

That forces you to use either one of those cap wrenches, (which don't work worth a damn). Or else a band wrench that takes an extension. The problem with both of those is the angle of the oil filter doesn't match to where the extension you use will fit through the little opening provided to get at both it, and the drain plug. And you have no room, plus you have to struggle to get any leverage, if you try working up in there.

I bought a couple of those K&N oil filters with the sheet metal "nut" spot welded on the end. But the problem with those is that silly "nut" has such rounded edges, even a 6 point socket just slips off before you can provide any decent amount of torque. I did buy one of those "3 finger" wrenches that close up as you apply torque. I'll try that the next time. The other PITA is that stupid cast aluminum, "guard" right up along side the oil filter that protects nothing. And only causes filter wrench interference. (That could prevent me from using the 3 finger wrench)..... We'll see.

The second issue doesn't involve difficultly, it's just time consuming. After you pull the drain plug, the oil drains out to a trickle in less than a minute. Then it just keeps coming out for at least 20 MINUTES OR LONGER! I have never had a vehicle that took so long to drain, before you get the intermittent drips, and know it's all out. This in spite of the fact it's 5W-20, that is as thin as water when it's hot. I always drain after a warm up, (200F+ oil temp.). It still takes what seems like FOREVER for it to drain.

I do my own oil changes, so I just deal with it. But you know if you take it to a dealer, or anywhere else, they are not going to wait all that time for all of it to drain out. Which means you're getting 1 to 2 cups of dirty oil left in your system. Not to mention a slight overfill. I could drain the oil in my F-150 twice in the time it takes my Jeep Grand Cherokee to completely drain. I don't know where it keeps coming from? Perhaps the MDS System, or else the VVT System. Both operate on engine oil.

I got through it alright. Perhaps I'm spoiled by such easy access on my truck.... And most every other vehicle I've had through the years. But I don't look forward to oil changes on this new Jeep. It's tolerable...... Just barely...... OK, rant off. :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just tried an oil change and have had a different set of problems but am surprised at the amount of time that it took for the oil to drain. My first thought is that maybe the oil cap was left on so it couldn't suck air in through the top. If the oil cap was left off, I dont see any reason it should take that long, especially since the large capacity of the oil pan relative to the motor.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just tried an oil change and have had a different set of problems but am surprised at the amount of time that it took for the oil to drain. My first thought is that maybe the oil cap was left on so it couldn't suck air in through the top. If the oil cap was left off, I dont see any reason it should take that long, especially since the large capacity of the oil pan relative to the motor.
It does take forever, doesn't it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've tried breaker bars, heat, vice grips, pb blaster, rounded head bolt extractor that just shaved the bolt to a completely round shape. The only things left are to try freezing the bolt, try to drill it out, and to get a new oil pan.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Time to vent. This morning I did an oil and filter change on my 2015 Grand Cherokee with it's 5.7 HEMI V-8. It's about the 4th one I've done so far. There are 2 things that annoy me the most. The first is the oil filter location. It's located to where you cannot get a strap wrench on the filter, and locate it to where the handle isn't interfered with so you can get some leverage on the thing.

That forces you to use either one of those cap wrenches, (which don't work worth a damn). Or else a band wrench that takes an extension. The problem with both of those is the angle of the oil filter doesn't match to where the extension you use will fit through the little opening provided to get at both it, and the drain plug. And you have no room, plus you have to struggle to get any leverage, if you try working up in there.

I bought a couple of those K&N oil filters with the sheet metal "nut" spot welded on the end. But the problem with those is that silly "nut" has such rounded edges, even a 6 point socket just slips off before you can provide any decent amount of torque. I did buy one of those "3 finger" wrenches that close up as you apply torque. I'll try that the next time. The other PITA is that stupid cast aluminum, "guard" right up along side the oil filter that protects nothing. And only causes filter wrench interference. (That could prevent me from using the 3 finger wrench)..... We'll see.

The second issue doesn't involve difficultly, it's just time consuming. After you pull the drain plug, the oil drains out to a trickle in less than a minute. Then it just keeps coming out for at least 20 MINUTES OR LONGER! I have never had a vehicle that took so long to drain, before you get the intermittent drips, and know it's all out. This in spite of the fact it's 5W-20, that is as thin as water when it's hot. I always drain after a warm up, (200F+ oil temp.). It still takes what seems like FOREVER for it to drain.

I do my own oil changes, so I just deal with it. But you know if you take it to a dealer, or anywhere else, they are not going to wait all that time for all of it to drain out. Which means you're getting 1 to 2 cups of dirty oil left in your system. Not to mention a slight overfill. I could drain the oil in my F-150 twice in the time it takes my Jeep Grand Cherokee to completely drain. I don't know where it keeps coming from? Perhaps the MDS System, or else the VVT System. Both operate on engine oil.

I got through it alright. Perhaps I'm spoiled by such easy access on my truck.... And most every other vehicle I've had through the years. But I don't look forward to oil changes on this new Jeep. It's tolerable...... Just barely...... OK, rant off. :D
Always wanted to do my own oil changes on this Jeep, same engine, but when I saw the placement of the oil filter, had second thoughts.
The time it takes to drain, now that is something good to know, because the places I usually take it to, don't take that long to do it. I will have to start telling them to make sure to drain it completely because of this issue. And if they won't take it somewhere else, or do it myself.

·
Registered
GC TH
279 Posts
Interesting that so many people hate it. I found it easy. The oil does take a while, but I’m usually doing other stuff in the meantime. My WK1 is only harder b/c it’s so low in the front.

The TBSS was a complete PITA due to the filter being above a crossmember behind the pan. There wasn’t enough room to remove it w/o tilting it and spilling all the oil each time.

I did just install a Fumoto valve on the SRT8 and want one for the Trailhawk now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts