Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just want to say hi. Picked up the 2020 trailhawk hemi in granite couple of weeks ago. Already tried it out at Hollister SVRA last Saturday. I did a few blue trails and trailhawk handled it like a champ with stock tires. I later found out that my tires were at 45psi from the dealer lot. They are now aired down to 33. I was expecting big difference in ride quality but it wasn’t a huge.

I had a 2017 Laredo before and the suspension feels stiffer on the trailhawk and handles better on pavement. However it also causes more rattling in the trunk if I have some stuff. But I hate the boaty feeling anyway so I prefer the QL.

I will be installing the mopar rockrail in a few weeks.

Question:

• what did you guys do about snow chains? In CA there are times when chains are required even for 4x4
  • how do stock tires perform in snow? I’m tempted to stick with the stock even though it doesn’t look as aggressive as the KO2 I had in Laredo.
  • offroad Performance-wise how are these good year tires compared to KO2?
  • BORA “spacers” - will it allow me to install larger tires? I read on the forum that the largest safe size to install on stock trailhawk is 265/65r18. Has anyone installed larger and go off-road?
  • will 1-2” larger wheel really make a big difference in offroading? These are diameters so divided by 2 is not that much.
Sorry for bunch of questions in the first post. Happy to be here!

·
Super Moderator
8,319 Posts
'Glad you like your new Trailhawk.

There are many, many threads in the Suspension/Drivetrain/Wheels/Tires/Brakes sub-forum up above that will address most, if not all, of your questions.

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
842 Posts
Congrats on your new Trailhawk. I have the exact same one as you, although, mine is a 2019 (so maybe it's not exactly the same). One thing different is the tires. I took the stock tires off ASAP - replaced them with Falken Wildpeak A/T 265/65R18 114T
0000 .png
0000 Wildpect.png

·
Super Moderator
8,319 Posts
Did you change your spare out, Russ? Necessary if you upsize on a 4x4.

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
842 Posts
Jim, I did (I bought 5 of the exact same tires). I'm happy to report that the spare fit in the spare tire compartment perfectly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Chains are never really required on a 4x4 in California. They close the road before that situation exists. You’re supposed to carry chains however. I’ve got a pair that actually fit The tires I keep in my spare tire area. I’ve never been asked to show my chains in many trips to Tahoe.

I was trying to set up a forum meet at Hollister a while back. I went there last week in my ZJ and it was pretty sketchy in the mud.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congrats limbeh!

I’m a big fan of my 2018 Trailhawk. I just wanted to comment on tires. I immediately switched to Falken Wildpeak 275/65r18. A little running on the left rear in full compression. But these are great tires. Both in dirt and snow. I have about 35k on them and they are wearing great. My take is, if you can afford get new tires. It’ll pay off when you need it too. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,967 Posts
  • BORA “spacers” - will it allow me to install larger tires? I read on the forum that the largest safe size to install on stock trailhawk is 265/65r18. Has anyone installed larger and go off-road?
  • will 1-2” larger wheel really make a big difference in offroading? These are diameters so divided by 2 is not that much.
From what I gather from the numerous threads about tires here, since I have OEM tire size, you're limited to 32" overall tire diameter and 33" if you bang out seems in the wheel wells....

Spacers don't get you anything in regards to bigger diameter tires, they are hitting the sides of the wheel wells before they hit the frame rails on the inside.....

As well, people have reported problems with 1.5" spacers or more, I tend to think the quality of the spacer and crap surface of the hubs of the wheel and suspension hub, and suspension wear have a lot to do with it.... ...that is why some have no problem and others gets vibrations and shimmy.... ....going more than 2", either by different offsets on new wheels or using spacers, seems is asking for suspension vibration and shimmy's.... ....The WK2 is 4 wheel independent suspension, not dual live axle like Wranglers and earlier JGC's..... ....the scrub radius is more critical and you change the scrub radius with spacers or different offsets on wheels....

There are no alternative ring and pinion gears for the WK2, it has all new differentials just used on the WK2, so the only ones being made are the ones at the factory.... ...and later WK2's, like your's, they removed any access to changing speedometer ratios as well (it can be done, but the dealer can't do it, some of the expensive tuner devices can do it).... ...But, I haven't seen any posts from those with bigger diameter tires complaining about Final Drive Ratio killing power, the 8speed trans and torquey engines seem to be fine with 1-2" change in tire diameters....

Finally wheel diameter, for off-roading you don't want bigger diameter wheels, you more tire sidewall to get more traction on uneven surfaces for off-road performance.... ....so going to bigger diameter wheels will reduce off-road ability, not improve it..... ...Notice Wranglers all come with 17" wheels, you're TrailHawk comes with 18" wheels when most WK2's come with 20" wheels....

Some of the WK2's come with HD brakes that have larger diameter rotors, that move the caliper out further to fit over the rotor. HD brakes will not fit within 17" wheels, only the SD brakes can fit inside 17" wheels. If you have HD brakes, all later WK2's with the HEMI have them, the smallest wheel you can go is 18"....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Congrats on the purchase of your new Trailhawk. You don't need to apologize for asking questions, that's what these forums are for. Remember the only stupid question is the question that's not asked"!
Enjoy your new Trailhawk I sure enjoy mime.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats limbeh!

I’m a big fan of my 2018 Trailhawk. I just wanted to comment on tires. I immediately switched to Falken Wildpeak 275/65r18. A little running on the left rear in full compression. But these are great tires. Both in dirt and snow. I have about 35k on them and they are wearing great. My take is, if you can afford get new tires. It’ll pay off when you need it too. Hope this helps.
Thanks! How did you deal with the spare and speedometer situation? Have you taken these offload? Do you ever rub at OR1 or OR2 heights while offloading?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all the information! Sounds like the spacers are really just for the looks and have nothing to do with clearance or larger tires. I'll stay away from those for now.

Finally wheel diameter, for off-roading you don't want bigger diameter wheels, you more tire sidewall to get more traction on uneven surfaces for off-road performance.... ....so going to bigger diameter wheels will reduce off-road ability, not improve it..... ...Notice Wranglers all come with 17" wheels, you're TrailHawk comes with 18" wheels when most WK2's come with 20" wheels....
I mistyped when I asked about larger wheel size. I meant the tire size. If I swap out the stock tires, I'm torn between the different sizes (stock, 31.5", 32"). From what I read so far, 265/65r18 is a fairly safe option (other than small speedometer error). I feel like on the TH, 1-1.5" larger tire is 80% look and 20% ground clearance. But I still want it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chains are never really required on a 4x4 in California. They close the road before that situation exists. You’re supposed to carry chains however. I’ve got a pair that actually fit The tires I keep in my spare tire area. I’ve never been asked to show my chains in many trips to Tahoe.

I was trying to set up a forum meet at Hollister a while back. I went there last week in my ZJ and it was pretty sketchy in the mud.
May I ask what chain you have? When I had my laredo I bought this one:

Never used it though, and not even sure if it's really ok to use chains (rear only). For the folks with larger tires, I suppose the chains are off limits?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hijacking the thread for another question:

I noticed that the brake is less responsive in my 2020 trailhawk than the 2017 Laredo. In general it takes more travel for the brake pad in the TH to stop quickly. It does offer more resolution for brake control and smoother ride, but it does take some getting use to. I'm hoping this is normal for everyone?

·
Registered
36 Posts

Never used it though, and not even sure if it's really ok to use chains (rear only). For the folks with larger tires, I suppose the chains are off limits?
[/QUOT

I got a pair of Laclede cables. They fit my 265 65 17 Duratracs. They were pretty expensive, I remember over $100. I just needed something to show the CHP I was carrying chains, but I may need to use them someday.

·
Super Moderator
8,319 Posts
Hijacking the thread for another question:

I noticed that the brake is less responsive in my 2020 trailhawk than the 2017 Laredo. In general it takes more travel for the brake pad in the TH to stop quickly. It does offer more resolution for brake control and smoother ride, but it does take some getting use to. I'm hoping this is normal for everyone?
Please consider asking this question in the Suspension/Drivetrain/Wheels/Tires/Brakes sub-forum up above where folks will actually see it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks! How did you deal with the spare and speedometer situation? Have you taken these offload? Do you ever rub at OR1 or OR2 heights while offloading?
As the speedo error I’m not concerned. I know about how much it is off and compensate from there. I go off road all the time and I like the extra clearance. I get a small rub on the rear left and front left if the get stuffed into the wheel well but nothing major to me. And I don’t think they will do it in ORII since there is so much pressure in the air bags. It mostly does it on the normal height when the bags have more give. The 265/65 shouldn’t rub at all but for me the extra chassis clearance was important. You will see a 2-3mpg drop with the 275/65. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
842 Posts
Mevans is right - there is no rubbing at all with the 265/65 that I have. Here's the difference between the 265 and the 275 tires.
00000.png

1 - 20 of 47 Posts