Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks!
For the first time ever, I decided to upgrade to SUV car coming from A5 quattro and bmw e93 330! And yes, Jeep is elegant 馃槅.
I have a question related to the ECU programming. In VW, there is a VAGCOM. In BMW, there is INPA and NCS expert where in these tools we can some good mods and scan the car far away from dealers requested fortune! Is there anything similar in Jeep???

Registered

Registered
There's actually a total of 3 options...
FCADiag
AlfaOBD
Tazer by Z automotive

The Tazer is a module that plugs into the OBDII port and uses the steering wheel buttons to make changes.
FCADiag and AlfaOBD are software options. FCADiag is Windows based, so it needs a laptop, but AlfaOBD is Android based so it can be done with a tablet.

I have FCADiag on a small cheap laptop, that I used to make all the changes I wanted. The main things I changed were: disable DRL dropout with turn signal, disable fog light dropout with high beams, and change rear lighting to Euro mode (outside reverse light becomes rear turn signal, instead of using the brake light). There are many other items that can be changed with all of them. I have also used a Tazer on my previous GC Summit.

Based on everything I've learned and read, I would recommend the AlfaOBD option. If you do some searching on here, you will find lengthy threads on all 3 options.

Super Moderator
In addition to the software solutions already mentioned, you will also need a means to bypass the firewall that is on your JGC's OBD port...the companies that sell the software, etc., can tell you what you need to do that. FCA implemented the firewall starting with MY19 in the Grand Cherokee.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
There's actually a total of 3 options...
FCADiag
AlfaOBD
Tazer by Z automotive

The Tazer is a module that plugs into the OBDII port and uses the steering wheel buttons to make changes.
FCADiag and AlfaOBD are software options. FCADiag is Windows based, so it needs a laptop, but AlfaOBD is Android based so it can be done with a tablet.

I have FCADiag on a small cheap laptop, that I used to make all the changes I wanted. The main things I changed were: disable DRL dropout with turn signal, disable fog light dropout with high beams, and change rear lighting to Euro mode (outside reverse light becomes rear turn signal, instead of using the brake light). There are many other items that can be changed with all of them. I have also used a Tazer on my previous GC Summit.

Based on everything I've learned and read, I would recommend the AlfaOBD option. If you do some searching on here, you will find lengthy threads on all 3 options.
Thanks for this comprehensive feedback,

I will go with Alfa OBD, I will start with the same changes you listed! Do I need any other configuration rather than installing the software and buying a cable or OBD2 device? Anything in passing firewalls, proxies etc

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
In addition to the software solutions already mentioned, you will also need a means to bypass the firewall that is on your JGC's OBD port...the companies that sell the software, etc., can tell you what you need to do that. FCA implemented the firewall starting with MY19 in the Grand Cherokee.
Which company have you tried? Is there any cracked solution in the market? What is the estimated price for this software and cable?

Registered
Sorry, I forgot about the firewall bypass module, which I also needed for my 2018. You can get that from Z Automotive. It's quite easy to use, and doesn't have to stay hooked up after making those changes.

Super Moderator

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, I forgot about the firewall bypass module, which I also needed for my 2018. You can get that from Z Automotive. It's quite easy to use, and doesn't have to stay hooked up after making those changes.
is it one time bypassing tool and then I will never need it? or whenever I need to reconfigure then I have to plug it first?

Premium Member
is it one time bypassing tool and then I will never need it? or whenever I need to reconfigure then I have to plug it first?
It鈥檚 a block that you plug in to facilitate communication with the computer. It鈥檚 not the software and not the hardware/interface, it simply allows you to get past the electronic security that is intended to keep people from messing with the computer.

I plug my bypass block in only when coding, then unplug after. If you leave it connected, the dealers scan tool will not be able to read your vehicle or do any updates.

As I mentioned previously; there are many threads and countless posts on this topic already. You will learn more and it will make more sense if you actually take the time to search within the forum and do lots of reading. This will not only answer your questions, but it will give you a better understanding that simply getting answers to each question that are inevitable. It鈥檚 also less annoying.

Yes, it requires time and effort, but remember the wise man who said, 鈥渢he easy way is rarely the best way鈥 ;-)

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
It鈥檚 a block that you plug in to facilitate communication with the computer. It鈥檚 not the software and not the hardware/interface, it simply allows you to get past the electronic security that is intended to keep people from messing with the computer.

I plug my bypass block in only when coding, then unplug after. If you leave it connected, the dealers scan tool will not be able to read your vehicle or do any updates.

As I mentioned previously; there are many threads and countless posts on this topic already. You will learn more and it will make more sense if you actually take the time to search within the forum and do lots of reading. This will not only answer your questions, but it will give you a better understanding that simply getting answers to each question that are inevitable. It鈥檚 also less annoying.

Yes, it requires time and effort, but remember the wise man who said, 鈥渢he easy way is rarely the best way鈥 ;-)
you are totally right. I will add a point to this, sometimes it is better to start where people ended, their knowledge and experience is always a good start that would make life easier. Sharing leads is something good and you should be proud of it.

I would like to thank you for your feedback, you saved my time. Now, I will start digging from known places instead of dark ones.

keep it up 馃憤

Super Moderator
To get you to the information more quickly, the topic is typically in the Audio/Video/Navigation/Electronics sub-forum up above.

Registered
Grand Cherokee
If you want to code, you need to pick a software language and take a class or get a book on how to write pre-compiled software (aka source code).... ...but it won't help you modify your vehicle....
What you're asking about is hacking, reconfiguring software, loading alternate software or patching existing software....

Yes, we know what you meant, I'm not busting on you for using incorrect terms, more pointing out you need learn more about what you're attempting so you get better results...

There have been severals tools mentioned already, but none of the tools can do everything or all that another tool can do.... ....so a good approach might be figuring out what you want to do then start looking for tools that can do that thing you want to do....

Hacking is using something in a way other than intended by the manufacturer, so be aware you jeopardize your warranty when you use a vehicle in a way other than intended...
Reconfiguring software is just setting options for the software, you not coding anything, you just flipping bits to turn on or off different options and functions in the existing software, some of these options are kept out of the hands of the owner, and sometimes even the dealers.... ....so there are some tools that aftermarket can offer to reconfigure software through hacking....
FCADiag and AlfaOBD are from the manufacturer, so are you hacking using them? I'd sum them up a DIY'er tools from the manufacturer that allows the owner to do some of the things they tried to setup as Dealer only, in response to all the complaints about the Manufacturers unfair practices... ... you can read al the manufacturer extended fault codes with this and do some reconfiguring of the software.....

There are "Tuner" programs that increase performance and as an added feature can do some configurations or modifications to software for disabling or enabling somethings or change there functions.... ....they don't really tune your vehicle, nor do they write code, that is all done by the aftermarket company in their lab, the results of that tuning or modification done in their lab is then written into modified or new software (coding) they simply put on their device that you can use to load into your modules and/or patch the existing software in your modules with the modified code.....

The only people coding, are at labs at the manufacturer or aftermarket company, they deliver finished software or patches to you in devices that enable you to load it or use it....

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
If you want to code, you need to pick a software language and take a class or get a book on how to write pre-compiled software (aka source code).... ...but it won't help you modify your vehicle....
What you're asking about is hacking, reconfiguring software, loading alternate software or patching existing software....

Yes, we know what you meant, I'm not busting on you for using incorrect terms, more pointing out you need learn more about what you're attempting so you get better results...

There have been severals tools mentioned already, but none of the tools can do everything or all that another tool can do.... ....so a good approach might be figuring out what you want to do then start looking for tools that can do that thing you want to do....

Hacking is using something in a way other than intended by the manufacturer, so be aware you jeopardize your warranty when you use a vehicle in a way other than intended...
Reconfiguring software is just setting options for the software, you not coding anything, you just flipping bits to turn on or off different options and functions in the existing software, some of these options are kept out of the hands of the owner, and sometimes even the dealers.... ....so there are some tools that aftermarket can offer to reconfigure software through hacking....
FCADiag and AlfaOBD are from the manufacturer, so are you hacking using them? I'd sum them up a DIY'er tools from the manufacturer that allows the owner to do some of the things they tried to setup as Dealer only, in response to all the complaints about the Manufacturers unfair practices... ... you can read al the manufacturer extended fault codes with this and do some reconfiguring of the software.....

There are "Tuner" programs that increase performance and as an added feature can do some configurations or modifications to software for disabling or enabling somethings or change there functions.... ....they don't really tune your vehicle, nor do they write code, that is all done by the aftermarket company in their lab, the results of that tuning or modification done in their lab is then written into modified or new software (coding) they simply put on their device that you can use to load into your modules and/or patch the existing software in your modules with the modified code.....

The only people coding, are at labs at the manufacturer or aftermarket company, they deliver finished software or patches to you in devices that enable you to load it or use it....
lol hahahaha, I am an Artificial Intelligence Engineer. Coding could be as simple as drag and drop to much more complex languages than you mentioned. In VW or BMW (if you had a chance to work on their software), you will always see the word "Apply Code", so don't get frustrated about the term.

What I would conclude from your essay is ALFAObd and FCADiag which seem to be common tools, I will be downloading them.

Thanks for your feedback

Registered
Grand Cherokee
lol hahahaha, I am an Artificial Intelligence Engineer. Coding could be as simple as drag and drop to much more complex languages than you mentioned. In VW or BMW (if you had a chance to work on their software), you will always see the word "Apply Code", so don't get frustrated about the term.

What I would conclude from your essay is ALFAObd and FCADiag which seem to be common tools, I will be downloading them.....
When you start writing code for your WK2 please post how you did it.

They are common tools, in a way, tools only available to the Dealer or much more expensive tools by far.... ....Depends on what you want to do, but you're not going to be coding anything with them.... ...some configuring, minor maintenance procedures, reading data from sensors and modules, and reading manufacturer extended fault codes.... ...which is very handy for maintenance and troubleshooting, the ability to do reconfiguration might come in handy for some minor modifications that don't deal with vehicle performance....

Super Moderator
Just remember you can do some serious damage to the vehicle systems if you zig when you should have zagged with any code you write... ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts