Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2021 Trailhawk and at first was planning to get a set of winter rims and tires however after doing some research for my needs it seems the Falcon Wildpeak A/T3W would work. Good rugged looking tire that can do some light offroading and also has the snowflake so it should be pretty decent in NJ winters.

I know the stock tires are 265/60/r18 so can I get away with ordering 265/65/r18 without any rubbing or issues since my GC will have the air suspension?

Thanks everyone!

Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
You can run up to a 32" tire with no issues, but also don't forget to swap out your spare for the same size.

Tire Sizes.png

Registered
JGC
@Thegame81 Are you looking at these just for the Winter or are you swapping out your stock Goodyears with a better, taller tire? If you were planning on just adding a winter set, then you should get snow tires like the Blizzak, Cooper Evolution, etc. Night and day difference between a real snow tire and an AT tire with a three peak symbol. If you plan on a lot of off-roading in the winter and want something that will be a little better in the cold and snow/slush/ice, then the Wildpeak should perform better than the stock tire for both. The snow tires will also look a lot better, aggresively, than the stock tires and M/S tires like the Defender.
Also, everyone reports the 265/65/18 fits fine on your vehicle. The tough part, is picking the spare to go with that size.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
@Thegame81 Are you looking at these just for the Winter or are you swapping out your stock Goodyears with a better, taller tire? If you were planning on just adding a winter set, then you should get snow tires like the Blizzak, Cooper Evolution, etc. Night and day difference between a real snow tire and an AT tire with a three peak symbol. If you plan on a lot of off-roading in the winter and want something that will be a little better in the cold and snow/slush/ice, then the Wildpeak should perform better than the stock tire for both. The snow tires will also look a lot better, aggresively, than the stock tires and M/S tires like the Defender.
Also, everyone reports the 265/65/18 fits fine on your vehicle. The tough part, is picking the spare to go with that size.
I was going to just use the falcons year round for winter and summer. I don't really anticipate needing a true now tire where I live and all the reviews I read seem like the falcons will do pretty well in the snow. That's a good point you brought up though. Will I have a problem fitting the 265/65/r18 in the spot where the stock spare tire goes due to the slightly taller size? If so I guess I can always just get the falcons in the stock 265/60/r18 sizes. I just wanted to go with the slightly bigger tire for the extra ground clearance and looks.

Thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
So guys I have a question. I did a lot of reading on the forums this morning and now I am actually more confused lol I am goin to try and be very clear here.

I now know by switching from my stock tire sizes to the Falcon A/T3W 265/65/R18 the full size spare steelie and tire that comes with my 21 trailhawk will not work due to the difference in height and awd system. I know a lot of guys try to put the same tire and size on the steelie and some seem to be able to fit that in the section for the spare by airing down and some can't. There seems to be a lot of debate on that.

For me I am not looking to have the exact same full size spare and tire but just a spare that will work and allow me to limp the car home or to a tire station and repair the tire. Then I can either repair it or order a new falcon.

My question then is simple, what tire size would I need to buy that would definitely fit in the spare tire section and wouldn't negatively affect the awd and computer systems. I am thinking any tire brand in 245/65/r18 would do the job for my spare. Can someone please confirm if this is correct?

Thanks everyone

Super Moderator
Your spare needs to be the same diameter as the four tires you are running on the corners. A 245 cm wide tire made for an 18" wheel (the OEM spare wheel is 18") with an aspect ratio that makes it the same diameter as your other tires is what you want to buy. The table in post number 2 os this thread should help you make that decision.

Registered
I just picked up a 2021 Trailhawk and at first was planning to get a set of winter rims and tires however after doing some research for my needs it seems the Falcon Wildpeak A/T3W would work. Good rugged looking tire that can do some light offroading and also has the snowflake so it should be pretty decent in NJ winters.

I know the stock tires are 265/60/r18 so can I get away with ordering 265/65/r18 without any rubbing or issues since my GC will have the air suspension?

Thanks everyone!
I like your decision on going with a more aggressive style look. Did you look into increasing the width of the tire instead of the height? A 275/60r18 will give you a solid 31". A 265/65r18 will give you a 31.6" and also hinder more on your revs/mile. Also, I think it is worth mentioning you will favor more on the side of rubbing.
Although, I am personally not a big fan of the AT tire... the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus and the Michelin Defender LTX M/S are great tire selections for a 275/60r18 Highway/off road. Thoughts?

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I like your decision on going with a more aggressive style look. Did you look into increasing the width of the tire instead of the height? A 275/60r18 will give you a solid 31". A 265/65r18 will give you a 31.6" and also hinder more on your revs/mile. Also, I think it is worth mentioning you will favor more on the side of rubbing.
Although, I am personally not a big fan of the AT tire... the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus and the Michelin Defender LTX M/S are great tire selections for a 275/60r18 Highway/off road. Thoughts?
I am certainly no expert on tires so I couldn't really tell you. My head was spinning last night reading all tire info lol I wanted the tire a little taller just for the extra ground clearance and mainly because of a truck youtube channel I follow had a trailhawk on and had the same tires the Falken AT3W in the 265/65r18 sizes which he mentioned did great in the winter and gave it the appearance he wanted. I was really just copying him if I am being honest.

Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
I'm running a spare the same size as the other 255/75R17 32x10.04 and the top closes no problem. I don't see the extra .4" making that much of a difference and if so as you said do not fully inflate it and you'll be fine. I seen one guy inflated his to 25psi and his fit. I wish I could remember the exact size he is running.

You can go to a 255/70R18 and have a 32x10 tire, unless you are definitely wanting to stay with the 10.43 wide tire? Tire calculator below to help with measurements and let you know how much your speedo is off depending size you go.

Tire Calculator

Capture.JPG

Registered
GC Trailhawk
I have the exact tires that you are asking about (5 of them). In my 2019 WK2 Trailhawk the spare is aired up to 32 pounds and it fits perfectly. I know someone (Joe) who has the same tires as me and the same 2019 Trailhawk; however, he has changed to after market rims (I have the stock rims). I've put the tires on a month after buying the WK2 and they have never rubbed. Joe, with his after market rims, and the exact same tire I have, has a problem with rubbing. If you live in SoCal you can come over and we'll try putting my spare in your spare tire holder.

0000 Falken Wildpeak A:T 265:65R18 114T.png

Registered
JGC
@Russinator Is your spare tire on the full size "spare" steel rim or did you put it on another trailhawk rim?

Registered
GC Trailhawk
It is on the full size "spare" steel rim that came with the WK2 when I bought it new in March 2019.

0000 Tires Dirty.jpg

Registered
You put a 265/65/18 on the OEM steelie spare?

My oem spare is like 190/70/18...I didn't hink a 265 wide would fit....

Guess I'll have to try and mount it on there

I'm assuming I probably don't have the full size oem spare though :(

Registered
JGC
@Russinator Thanks. That helps me in deciding whether to go with the 265/65/18 or the 255/70/18 ... concerned because there just doesn't seem to be another tire size option for the spare with 265/65/18 when you have the HD brakes. Was thinking they would be too wide for the lid to close flush.
@avant4me You don't have the full size spare that comes with the Tow Package.

Super Moderator
@Russinator Thanks. That helps me in deciding whether to go with the 265/65/18 or the 255/70/18 ... concerned because there just doesn't seem to be another tire size option for the spare with 265/65/18 when you have the HD brakes. Was thinking they would be too wide for the lid to close flush.
The 255 is going to fit under the lid better than the 265...remember, the OEM full size spare is a 245 width tire and the compartment is optimized for that.

Registered
GC Trailhawk
I was told that my 2019 WK2 Trailhawk came with the full size spare; however, it wasn't the same as the other four tires (it was a different brand). It was the same height as the other four but slightly narrower. As for the lid closing fully with the Wildpeak 265/65/r18; at first it didn't but I found that with very little pressure it would close all the way. So I set something on it that weighted about 20 pounds, left it there over night and removed it in the morning. The lid has closed perfectly ever since -- that was 20 months ago.

Super Moderator
I was told that my 2019 WK2 Trailhawk came with the full size spare; however, it wasn't the same as the other four tires (it was a different brand). It was the same height as the other four but slightly narrower.
It's full size in the sense that it's the same diameter as you note and also the same duty specification so it can be used while towing or off road. Narrower doesn't affect that and makes storing it take less space and have less weight which technically can affect cargo capacity. That can be a factor when towing.

Reactions: Russinator

Registered
JGC
@Jim_in_PA Not sure if anyone has weighed that spare wheel/tire ... but it's not light.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts