Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
Once again i'll point out that a Cold Air Filters are sort of a misnomer as they take in hot air from the engine compartment.
They do however present better airflow which theoretically should increase engine performance but how much? And at what cost to the engine?

I installed a K&N dry high flow replacement type air filter in my XJ's OEM air filter box.
No oil needed and can be cleaned with soap and water.
I have to say it did make just a barely noticeable increase in engine performance at least in my mind. haha
Been running it for around 5 years and recently cleaned the IAC and throttle body.
Both were clean as a whistle not even needing cleaning so i'm happy with the filtering aspect of that K&N.

If you go with a CAI, i'd at least recommend one that doesn't require oil.
While the oil types can filter better they're a PITA to clean not to mention possible MAP sensor deterioration.
And if you go this route don't expect a quantum leap in HP if any leaps at all.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The Jeep's air intake is pretty efficient as is and no modification is going to make much, if any, improvement in performance or mileage. I have the K&N (dry) filter and noticed no difference in performance or mileage, but I do like the intake "growl" (some call it noise) of the HEMI under moderate acceleration.

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
The Jeep's OEM air box's filter housing is hopefully in the best possible location to intake cooler air.
Because of that what makes sense to me is to get a dry high flow filter that can be installed in the OEM air box.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Most of the vehicles today come with a factory "cold air intake system". They are designed so the air intake takes in only cold air from the front of the vehicle and they are a closed system. So no under-hood heat gets sucked in. The engineers design these intake so they can support all of the air flow needs of the engine. Yes they do look cool under the hood and they do get rid of the restricting air flow silencers in the factory intake tubes, and maybe have a nicer sound to them. I have used them in the past on several different vehicles and have never seen a decent performance gain out of any of them. If you a wanting to get a wow factor when you open the hood or wanting the slightly louder intake sound, by all means go for it. It's you ride and your money. But if you're looking for performance gain with one, I'd spent my money elsewhere.

I chose to go with an AEM Dryflow drop-in filter that just replaces the factory style filter in the stock box. The only thing that I'm considering is eliminating the factory air tube that's in-between the air box and the throttle body to smooth out the air flow. I haven't started looking but I'm sure someone out there makes one or has parts available to piece one together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.