Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 GC Limited. I'm getting a "Key Fob Battery Low" message. How much time do I really have? What happens if the batteries expire before I replace them?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,280 Posts
Why not replace the battery before it fails completely? They cost around $1, and take a minute to replace. If it dies, your fob won't work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not replace the battery before it fails completely? They cost around $1, and take a minute to replace. If it dies, your fob won't work.
That's my intention. But, until I get to the store, do I have 5 starts left? Or two weeks? etc...

·
Registered
726 Posts
When you get that message, there’s definitely not much left. As soon as it appeared on ours, the vehicle alarm would randomly go off for no reason. The dealer verified it was due to the low battery. Replace mine once a year before it even has a chance to give the warning!

·
Registered
Summit
153 Posts
That's my intention. But, until I get to the store, do I have 5 starts left? Or two weeks? etc...
They are Cheap on Amazon, and you don't have to go to the store. I change mine when the time changes, just did it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
'Ordered mine on eBay. I think I'll swipe my wife's lesser-used key fob in the meantime. Thanks.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,674 Posts
If the KeyFob battery goes dead, the remote and keyless entry and go won't work, but the RFID chip inside the key, that allows the vehicle to start and run still works, since its self-energizing with RF energy, which the Wireless Ignition Node (WIN) provides.....

So your KeyFob Battery is dead?
  • Open the door with the metal key insert....
  • 2013 and earlier, remove the push to start button, the metal key insert makes a good pry to help remove it....
    • Insert the block end of the KeyFob into the slot and turn like the earlier FOBIK keys and it will start and run....
  • 2014 and later, push the butt end of the key fob up against the pushbutton to push it, the antenna is right behind there and will energize the RFID chip and allow the vehicle to start...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the KeyFob battery goes dead, the remote and keyless entry and go won't work, but the RFID chip inside the key, that allows the vehicle to start and run still works, since its self-energizing with RF energy, which the Wireless Ignition Node (WIN) provides.....

So your KeyFob Battery is dead?
  • Open the door with the metal key insert....
  • 2013 and earlier, remove the push to start button, the metal key insert makes a good pry to help remove it....
    • Insert the block end of the KeyFob into the slot and turn like the earlier FOBIK keys and it will start and run....
  • 2014 and later, push the butt end of the key fob up against the pushbutton to push it, the antenna is right behind there and will energize the RFID chip and allow the vehicle to start...
'good to know... Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I keep a couple of spares in the glove box, as said it’s a simple job no tools required

And no fear of getting stuck, works for me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts