Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at the gym yesterday and had my keys in my jacket pocket which I placed on a hanger in the locker room and when I wrapped up my workout and went to grab my jacket it was gone.

First thing I did was run out to make sure my car was still there since it there were only 3 jackets hanging on a large closet rod so chances of someone grabbing the wrong one are slim to none... it was late and the gym was not very busy.

I had to call my girl to bring my spare key to me so I could get home :mad:... first time this has ever happened to me and I've been a gym rat for 15 years regularly hanging my jackets on the open hangers. (Will obviously lock my shit up here on out...)

So I go to this gym almost daily, and now knowing someone has a key to my car is always in the back of my mind, they have my house keys as well... could easily find my address in my car paperwork or nav history.

What steps should I take here? I went today and asked if anyone returned a jacket, no luck. I'm losing hope on ever getting it back which sucks cause I had my airpod case in there so now my airpods are useless without the case since I can't charge them.

I do have the maxcare warranty which I believe has some coverage for keyfobs? Any truth to this? How do I pursue a replacement with that if it is? Can the car be re-coded somehow so the old key no longer works??

Sorry for the rant, so angry at myself for being so trusting of others all this time. Any thoughts and help would be appreciated as this is the first time I am ever dealing with something like this.

I'm trying to get in touch with the gym manager to see if they can pull some security footage while I was there but they have not responded.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Change ignition and door locks asap. Highly doubt theft is covered under any warranty but maybe it is.....???? Best of luck with this....I'd be worried sick lol

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Change ignition and door locks asap. Highly doubt theft is covered under any warranty but maybe it is.....???? Best of luck with this....I'd be worried sick lol
I am it's driving me nuts right now... the warranty states it covers lost or broken Key Fobs I just need to figure out how to use it to order one. My car has the keyless ignition how do you even change that? I've changed the start button tumbler before but that doesn't change the key you use :confused: I feel like it's all programming.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I am it's driving me nuts right now... the warranty states it covers lost or broken Key Fobs I just need to figure out how to use it to order one. My car has the keyless ignition how do you even change that? I've changed the start button tumbler before but that doesn't change the key you use :confused: I feel like it's all programming.
Should have some device other than main "computer"

Ignition Node Module or something similar.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Whoever took your fob at least won’t be able to steal Jeep. When they make you a new one the stolen one will be erased. Jeep will no longer recognize that immobiler.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whoever took your fob at least won’t be able to steal Jeep. When they make you a new one the stolen one will be erased. Jeep will no longer recognize that immobiler.
Will the stolen one still be able to unlock the car? I know the key within it will no matter what but if you don’t unlock it from a fob that causes the alarm to go off. Guess I’ll be upgrading to a hellcat red key lol oh well was gonna do that anyway.

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,624 Posts
Will the stolen one still be able to unlock the car? I know the key within it will no matter what but if you don’t unlock it from a fob that causes the alarm to go off. Guess I’ll be upgrading to a hellcat red key lol oh well was gonna do that anyway.
The Physical CUT key will unlock the door Yes.

But if you had a new one programmed and told the dealer other key was stolen.
They would of deleted it out the ECM and it will not start the car or anything.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,401 Posts
Yes, when the dealer programs a key, you need to bring all the keys you have for the vehicle. Cause they reset the immobilizer, clearing out all old keys that were lost or stolen. Then program it to recognize only the keys on hand, whether they are new or old keys.

Swapping out ignition nodes won't do anything, the node just communicates with the key, a new ignition node would still let an old key work just as well as the old ignition node. Replacing the PCM to get one with an immobilizer with no keys, will still require the dealer program the keys to it, so you're not avoiding the trip to the dealer to pay him to program the keys, just adding a cost of a new PCM that you don't need.

As Josh pointed out, the key insert can be used to open the drivers door mechanically. You would have to have a new key cut from scratch and have the driver's door and glove box lock cylinders re-keyed to the new key insert. Last time I got a new ignition lock cylinder (more than a decade ago) they said they didn't have anyone that could re-key the locks. I ordered the tumblers/gates and re-keyed the lock cylinders myself, granted I'm a tinkerer and better than average shade tree mechanic, I guess now-a-days that makes me better than a dealership master mechanic.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, when the dealer programs a key, you need to bring all the keys you have for the vehicle. Cause they reset the immobilizer, clearing out all old keys that were lost or stolen. Then program it to recognize only the keys on hand, whether they are new or old keys.

Swapping out ignition nodes won't do anything, the node just communicates with the key, a new ignition node would still let an old key work just as well as the old ignition node. Replacing the PCM to get one with an immobilizer with no keys, will still require the dealer program the keys to it, so you're not avoiding the trip to the dealer to pay him to program the keys, just adding a cost of a new PCM that you don't need.

As Josh pointed out, the key insert can be used to open the drivers door mechanically. You would have to have a new key cut from scratch and have the driver's door and glove box lock cylinders re-keyed to the new key insert. Last time I got a new ignition lock cylinder (more than a decade ago) they said they didn't have anyone that could re-key the locks. I ordered the tumblers/gates and re-keyed the lock cylinders myself, granted I'm a tinkerer and better than average shade tree mechanic, I guess now-a-days that makes me better than a dealership master mechanic.
Thanks, I ordered a new key fob, once it arrives I will head over to the dealer and ask them about re-keying.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,401 Posts
I should have added, that the dealer can only program a "new, never used key", the Key Fob sets a bit once its programmed so the tools will recognize it and refuse to program it again to another car.

I guess to prevent people from being to re-use stolen keys (since the Manufacturers are marking up $7-$15 devices to $250-$350 before even selling them to the dealership) people stealing keys to be re-used for their own vehicle could be a real problem, but they can't, if the system sees that it was already programmed, they won't reprogram it to another car.

I've seen people selling used key fobs on ebay, claiming the dealer can reprogram it to your vehicle, they can't, the seller doesn't know what he's talking about. Yea, it can be done, but its a whole lot more hassle than just bringing it to the dealer.

I see that they are selling "Refurbished" keys on eBay, I bought 3 for my 2011 but haven't had them programmed yet. They reflash the chip in the key to reload its original software, restoring it to its original state as if it had never been used. Plus they put it in a new plastic shell with a new flexible button skin, so you really can't tell they're used. $50 beats $320 MSRP that you'll find most dealers charging.

If the dealership can't re-key the lock cylinders, call around to locksmiths. You can save even more if you can take the lock cylinders out yourself and bring them to the locksmith. With only two to replace and the 2nd one in the glove box being a "lesser" lock cylinder, the dealer may just replace the lock cylinders with new ones that come with a new matching key insert.

Key-Codes (if you have a new key blade cut from scratch) it will have a code, basically keys have positions on the blade that are at different heights, each height is assigned a number, so with this big long number a lock smith can cut you a new key without an original. If you lose your key and call a lock smith to come out and get your car open, what do they do, they look up in a book the key code assigned your VIN#, and cuts a key to the code (usually there is several key codes per VIN#) to open the lock. If you have your vehicle re-keyed to an all new original key code, then that book is worthless and locksmiths can't get into your vehicle, only try to pick your lock which doesn't always work.

At the same time, since the WK2 is designed as electronically lock/unlock vehicle, you only have two mechanical lock cylinders, and only one is critical. So with so few lock cylinders to replace, losing the new original key code probably could only be a little lose of convenience in the future. In the past, a lot of cars had 7-8 lock cylinders and a few of them very expensive and time consuming to re-key, so loosing a new original key-code and all of your keys could be very expensive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mongo53 has good answers for you.

When doing the programming, I'm pretty sure the dealer has the option of adding a key to the car's existing keys, or wiping out any old keys and starting over. (I could be mistaken but I think they can do either.) Make sure they know you have a lost/stolen key and that you want the missing key erased from the car.

OK so that will prevent anyone with that lost/stolen key from driving your car, or using the remote control to unlock the door, or using the keyless-access door handle to unlock the door.

Just like Mongo53 says (like I say his information is really good), the person could still use the metal emergency key to unlock the door manually and get inside and steal your stuff.

First thing I would do is see if your Jeep has the (optional) factory alarm. Park and lock with Jeep remote. Wait one minute or more, withdraw the emergency key from inside the main plastic key, set the main plastic key 10+ feet from the Jeep (like leave it in your house or something), then unlock the driver door with the metal emergency key and see if an alarm sounds. (If it does, run back to where you put the plastic key and hit unlock to make the alarm stop.)

Anyway....it's up to you if you want to spend more money at that point. You could replace the driver's door lock cylinder and buy/cut new metal emergency keys.

If it turns out you don't have an alarm, you might be able to have an aftermarket alarm installed for less than the cost of changing the driver door lock. Not that the alarm is perfect but you'd hope that if the person unlocks with the key and hears the alarm, they might go away.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mongo53 has good answers for you.

When doing the programming, I'm pretty sure the dealer has the option of adding a key to the car's existing keys, or wiping out any old keys and starting over. (I could be mistaken but I think they can do either.) Make sure they know you have a lost/stolen key and that you want the missing key erased from the car.

OK so that will prevent anyone with that lost/stolen key from driving your car, or using the remote control to unlock the door, or using the keyless-access door handle to unlock the door.

Just like Mongo53 says (like I say his information is really good), the person could still use the metal emergency key to unlock the door manually and get inside and steal your stuff.

First thing I would do is see if your Jeep has the (optional) factory alarm. Park and lock with Jeep remote. Wait one minute or more, withdraw the emergency key from inside the main plastic key, set the main plastic key 10+ feet from the Jeep (like leave it in your house or something), then unlock the driver door with the metal emergency key and see if an alarm sounds. (If it does, run back to where you put the plastic key and hit unlock to make the alarm stop.)

Anyway....it's up to you if you want to spend more money at that point. You could replace the driver's door lock cylinder and buy/cut new metal emergency keys.

If it turns out you don't have an alarm, you might be able to have an aftermarket alarm installed for less than the cost of changing the driver door lock. Not that the alarm is perfect but you'd hope that if the person unlocks with the key and hears the alarm, they might go away.
I do have the alarm, I did confirm the dealer has to erase the old key I’m there right now. So if this happens to you don’t forget to mention a key got stolen and to remove it.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,401 Posts
I "Think" but don't know for sure, they changed the procedure for the Dealership a few years ago, now they will tell you to bring all your keys with you for programming, they will need all the keys. I think that is because the system simply starts from scratch now, not truly from scratch, because any old keys you have would not be programmable. But they simply put the vehicle into the key programming mode and put all the keys through the system, new keys get programmed, old keys the old programming is kept by validating it with the actual key and when you complete the process, and old key codes that weren't validated get dumped.

·
Lifer: Old Geezer
Overland
4,628 Posts
Thanks, I ordered a new key fob, once it arrives I will head over to the dealer and ask them about re-keying.
The vehicle knows the difference between the two keys, and the dealer MAY be able to invalidate the stolen key by using the remaining one.

They may also have the keys in stock, so you could deal with it all at once.

? If you believe someone stole your keys, why not do a police report?
If you have renters/homeowners insurance and you don't report it and someone does manage to get into your home, your insurance company may ask if you filed a police report to help mitigate damage. Plus, your local police MAY be a bit more persuasive in getting the gym to cough up any available camera footage if there are internal ones.

If your keys were stolen, the same perp may try it again, or may have already done similar crimes at the same gym.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,401 Posts
The vehicle knows the difference between the two keys, and the dealer MAY be able to invalidate the stolen key by using the remaining one.

They may also have the keys in stock, so you could deal with it all at once.
The vehicle does know the difference between the two keys, yes, because each key has an unique identifier. The procedure they use, that is the most foolproof to prevent mistakes is what I described above. They basically have all keys that are to remain and/or become valid for the vehicle and use them during the procedure, any keys missing will get dumped and no longer work for the vehicle.

There are two kinds of electronic/Smart keys today, Transponder and RFID. You can argue they're all Transponder, but the RFID is a different kind of Transponder.

For Chrysler/FCA/Jeep, only the keys with metal key blades that you use the key blade to insert into a lock cylinder in the ignition, are the plane "Transponder" key. These keys may have a regular plastic head (confusing you into thinking its a regular metal key, since the tiny chip is molded in the plastic head) or have remote with buttons on the head of the key. These Keys are Clonable, and a Clone is NOT the same as a new key. The Clones come with a special chip, that the hardware store will have a special tool to program the clonable chip, that is different than the regular transponder key. They will program the Clone Key to respond exactly like the OEM key you give them. So now your keys are no longer unique, there are two of the same identifier.

Clone keys won't work for the Customer Self-Programming. You need two valid keys (meaning unique) to start the procedure to program additional new keys. When you insert the original key and then insert the cloned key, as far as the vehicle is concerned you just pull the 1st key out and stuck it back in again.

The "RFID" chip keys can not be cloned. These are the key fobs, with a metal key insert inside of them, just for use to unlock the door in case the key fob battery goes dead. There is no lock cylinder on the ignition, either a push button or a plastic socket. Don't know why they can't be clone, I suspect there is more to it then no one's bothered to figure out how to clone them. It may be more along the lines the RFID chips communicate encrypted data and breaking the encryption to decode the unique identifier to replicate it, makes it wildly impractical, it would be far cheaper just to get a new RFID key.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After getting a new key, it is recommended to use a tile tracking key or wallet. Tile has a huge network of users, they can help track each other's Tiles, open the map and alert to get the keys. One of the ways to minimize the risk of loss.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts